Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Luke35
  • 1 Post By ebolamonkey3
  • 2 Post By Bacstar
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Iíve been a Palm guy for over ten years going back to the Palm IIIc. Back around 2004 or 2005 I felt like I made major strides when I convinced my girl friend/fiancť/wife (donít remember the exact stage we were in) to get a palm device. I had the Tungsten T-3; she opted to get a T-5. She only used it minimally.

I later moved on to a Centro phone, but my wife wasnít as enthusiastic as I was and she had an array of other phones and lost interest in the palm platform. It was the Centro that made me leave Alltel for Verizon, with my wife and step-daughter moving over to my phone plan soon after. I upgraded to a Pre+ in early 2010. My wife went for an HTC Droid. I loved my phone. She hated hers. I tried to sell her on the Pre+, but she didnít show a lot of interest. I've since convinced my step-daughter to get a Pre+, but she is less than enthusiastic about it. I've tried numerous times to get her to PreCentral and to install Preware and patches to her phone, but she never seems to have the time or interest.

Earlier this year, my wife decided she wanted to get a tablet to replace her laptop for mobility purposes. I showed her the early stories about the future touchpad and pre3 integration. I thought she was interested, but after seeing the president of her small companyís ipad up close and in actual use, she was smitten with the ipad and the idea of getting one of those. Since she was already so disgusted with her android phone, she decided that even though we werenít able to buy an ipad right away, she was very interested that the iPhone was coming to Verizon. So, against my better judgment, I allowed her to use MY upgrade eligibility to get an iPhone back in June, meanwhile I would wait for her upgrade eligibility in September to use on a Pre3 (assuming it was coming to Verizon). I only had visions of getting a Touchpad in the distant future.

She is much more pleased with the iPhone than the Droid, but she still wanted a tablet. In mid to late July, we went to Staples for something minor and she looked briefly at the display model Touchpad. Then last week she saw the $100 discount on the Touchpad price and that it was only a temporary thing. She asked me what I thought about getting one. To make a long story short, we ended up getting TWO!!! His and hers!

Of course, I had a ton of apps already on my phone that I was able to transfer over to mine - she did not. But so far she is very impressed with the design and the OS. Just like that, I may have snatched her away from the jowls of Apple and brought her into the webOS fold! No verdict from her yet, but I have hope that she may end up ditching the iPhone in another 18 months and go with whatever the latest webOS phone is at that point. AND I have my own Touchpad to boot that I will pair up with a Pre3 if and when it eventually gets here... W00t!!!
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    Good story. Thanks for sharing. I am loving my touchpad. Homebrew is amazing on this device.
    I've been a Palm user since my PalmPilot 5000. Now I'm using a Sprint Pre and a TouchPad. I bought the Touchpad at Costco for $570 with a $100 rebate. I just applied for my $50 early adopter rebate and am in the process of spending my $50 credit in the App store. I am also enjoying my free 50G storage space on BOX which is worth $240/year. This all seems too good to be true and I am enjoying it all.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by splitsick View Post
    Good story. Thanks for sharing. I am loving my touchpad. Homebrew is amazing on this device.
    Just got preware installed last night and I can't agree more. The patches made my TP soo much faster even before overclocking.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I just managed to get Preware installed myself last night also. My efforts on Tuesday evening failed, so I cleared everything off and went through the steps again one by one with better success this time. Which patches did you install? I haven't installed any myself, but plan to do so tonight. I was going to, but ... er kind of got a bit distracted by some angry birds, and the next thing I knew it was pushing midnight. I just needed to get past that ONE MORE level...

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    I just managed to get Preware installed myself last night also. My efforts on Tuesday evening failed, so I cleared everything off and went through the steps again one by one with better success this time. Which patches did you install? I haven't installed any myself, but plan to do so tonight. I was going to, but ... er kind of got a bit distracted by some angry birds, and the next thing I knew it was pushing midnight. I just needed to get past that ONE MORE level...
    These:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3027858

Also got Uberkernel and Govnah to OC it to 1.5ghz, but it runs plenty smooth w/o the OC.
    Luke35 likes this.
    I got the iPad last year mainly because they were first to market. I really wanted to wait for the HP Slate, but when they bought out Palm... well I imagine everyone knows what happened then. I had no other choice. I had to get the iPad. I really saw the potential of having a tablet and was anxious to try one out.

Next generation of devices roll out this year and at the release of the Touchpad, I wasn't really impressed with the Touchpad when handling it in the store. So, I ended up getting the new Galaxy Tab 10.1: impressive hardware but very meh on Android.

After a month of using the Galaxy and then the price-drop with the TP, I couldn't resist and got the Touchpad. Extremely happy now... With the help of this community, I'm getting the full benefits of WebOS. It's kind of funny too. I got an email survey from Apple yesterday afternoon, and the last question asked was what could be done for them to improve?

Hehehe... I wrote I'm ditching your gear because of your legal BS with Samsung and now Motorola, and why couldn't iOS be a bit more like WebOS.
    etx and Luke35 like this.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    ... and so today, my wife returned her TouchPad and bought an iPad2. And I encouraged her to do so. How things change so drastically in just two weeks.

I managed to get HP to credit the difference between what I paid for mine two weeks ago and what they are selling it for now. I figure I can ride this out for $150 and see if anything rises out of the ashes that are webOS.

What a screwed up day this turned into - excited to see my wife get the iPad that I was so opposed to for so long. Thanks much, HP.

You SUCK!!!