Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    HP already do it on some laptops.
    I have been wanting a capacitive and resistive double duty touchscreen tablet with docking keyboard that can when docked run windows if you want or just webos all the time.

like the eeepad transformer I have but with windows selectable on docking and that pen input that is so useful since you know I have an opposable thumb for fine motor control.
    I am probably in the minority here, but I probably would not use it. I used Palm OS for years on a succession of Palm PDAs, but I rarely used graffiti because my handwriting could not be easily interpreted. I also cannot draw.

I would hate to think that I would be paying for an option that I would not be using.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I would hate to think that I would be paying for an option that I would not be using.
    The nice thing about that ThinkPad tablet I linked to in a previous post is that the pen is optional. Everywhere you use the finger you can use the pen (if you bought it). And if you do, you get more precision and pressure sensitivity, but it's not at all mandatory.

Dragos
    IMO all tablets should have pens. To me a tablet without a pen just doesn't make sense. If you hook a keyboard up to it, you've just made a two-piece laptop. And if you're going to type on it, then why not use a keyboard instead of a VKB?

Pen (stylus) + handwriting recognition was a feature of PDAs from almost the beginning, but somehow people got the notion that using your fingers is better than using a stylus, and we lost the option of using a stylus along with handwriting recognition.

Once the stylus makes its comeback, my signature will have proven itself to be true.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I am probably in the minority here, but I probably would not use it. I used Palm OS for years on a succession of Palm PDAs, but I rarely used graffiti because my handwriting could not be easily interpreted. I also cannot draw.

Just saying, but you'd be shocked at how well modern handwriting recognition works. If you've got Windows 7, open up the tablet input tool, and scribble a few things with your mouse even, and I bet you'll be amazed at how well it works.

And honestly, handwriting definitely isn't as fast as typing on a real keyboard. It might be about as fast, or maybe a little faster than a virtual keyboard for me, but it's most likely a draw. But the real benefit of having a pen, besides for art, is with a program like OneNote. In OneNote, you hand-write notes and they stay ink. Since I got my tablet three years ago, it's pretty much replaced every single post-it note and back of an envelope to have my notes written in it. The key feature though is that it does do handwriting recognition in the background, so every note ever written in it is indexed and fully searchable.

It's the type of thing that I wish I had when I was in college, but I didn't even know it existed then.
  7. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I would love to have pen input on the touchpad, even a virtual area where I could do graffiti would be great. i used to love graffiti on PalmOS.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I think pen input would be very good for taking notes and sketching. Typing is not always the best method for note taking especially if you are standing and holding the TP with one hand. The ability to write would be beneficial. It would also open the use cases for the TP in business to more areas.

I enjoyed graffiti when it was available and used it quite a lot.
    It funny how some things come back full circle. Palm pdas and smartphones long had stylus pens and they were decried for it for being antiquated and behind the technology curve because others in the industry adopted touch based interfaces. Now it seems people actually want pen based inputs options. I think it would be nice if HP could somehow incorporate optional pen based input for hand writing etc while maintaining the webos touch based GUI. THat would be the best of both worlds...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    It funny how some things come back full circle. Palm pdas and smartphones long had stylus pens and they were decried for it for being antiquated and behind the technology curve because others in the industry adopted touch based interfaces. Now it seems people actually want pen based inputs options. I think it would be nice if HP could somehow incorporate optional pen based input for hand writing etc while maintaining the webos touch based GUI. THat would be the best of both worlds...
    --Consumerism

Exactly. I think that Apple is just a consumer company and they only create the need for something and that's how pens got deprecated.

In my opinion though, tablets can become useful for companies AND students and become really useful tools. But who would listen HP - a printer company anyway. When HP TM2 got out I thought it's gonna be a hit. It's the perfect tablet with a very good gpu +i5 + touch + pen. I bought it and I enjoy every single pixel of it. But who else bought that tablet? No one because most of the consumers do not do a market research before they buy and believe that the seller in their local best buy knows everything.

For me TM2 will always be the best tablet ever that was never used for what it was meant to be used. I'm really trying to understand what those CTO's are doing anyway? Why would anyone would want an iPad for their staff? What more can it offer than a windows tablet with the best notetaking software (onenote) and all the programs that you already know?
    As a student, that's definitely the number one thing I'd love to see in a (webOS) tablet. No more lugging around 4 different notebooks, pens and pencils when a tablet could do the same, play the powerpoint for the class in a different card, and then d/l it all to a cloud storage somewhere. But alas, this is the ideal situation :/
    Keep an eye out on this : jot pen stylus.

Jot: Capacitive Touch Stylus by Adonit! by Adonit — Kickstarter

video demo :

video demo jot pen
    any pen that works with a capacitive digitizer will work!!!!!

My pen that worked with my old nokia works fine with it.
    any pen made out of plastic, rubber, etc will work!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryn View Post
    any pen that works with a capacitive digitizer will work!!!!!

My pen that worked with my old nokia works fine with it.
    any pen made out of plastic, rubber, etc will work!!!!!
    For the capacitive effect to happen the stylus needs to be conductive, so any old "pen made of plastic or rubber" probably won't work.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12