Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dsol
  • 2 Post By Andyf
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I'm traveling this week and didn't want to bring all my chargers. BUT I wanted to make sure first that the touchpad wall charger won't FRY my pre2.

I know my PRE2 charger will charge my TP (but slowly) so thats an option.

But I was curious if anyone has had success with using the TP charger to charge their webos phones.
    Check out Paper Basketball Plus! A toss it / paper toss style game with achievements, timed mode, moving targets and more! Buy 1 app, use it on pixi / veer / pre / touchpad all in full resolution! It's neat. I swear. For reals.

http://bit.ly/moZYOq
    I charge my Pre- with my TP charger all the time and never have had a single problem. You should be fine.
    I have used my TP charger with my Pre2 and I haven't had any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Noah View Post
    I charge my Pre- with my TP charger all the time and never have had a single problem. You should be fine.
    +1
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    It will charge it faster, but if it gets too hot (usually doesn't) it will "trickle charge" it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Any updated reports from people using the Touchpad charger on a Pre? I'm thinking of getting a dual-usb charger (2amp per usb-port) for travelling and would like to just bring that instead of that AND my pre's charger. Thanks.
    I'm trying to get my friend to do it, as I am without TouchPad.
    The Pre will only draw the amperage that it needs. Because they (Pre and TP) are both 5 volts you will be fine. Like your 600 amp car battery doesn't blow all your fuses in your car because the car electronics need 10 amps max, even though all your car electronics are 12 v, When you start the engine you need the massive amps, and the starter is set up to "pull" more amps than the other stuff in the car. The fuses are there in case there is a problem and they blow before the motor in your power seat, but if the power seat motor was not able to draw only what it needed you would have blown fuses all the time.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    touchthatpad106 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    The Pre will only draw the amperage that it needs. Because they (Pre and TP) are both 5 volts you will be fine. Like your 600 amp car battery doesn't blow all your fuses in your car because the car electronics need 10 amps max, even though all your car electronics are 12 v, When you start the engine you need the massive amps, and the starter is set up to "pull" more amps than the other stuff in the car. The fuses are there in case there is a problem and they blow before the motor in your power seat, but if the power seat motor was not able to draw only what it needed you would have blown fuses all the time.
    Exactly right. There will be no problem using the TouchPad charger to charge a Pre.
    Great thread. I have been wondering the same thing.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Exactly right. There will be no problem using the TouchPad charger to charge a Pre.
    ... all except for the use of the word 'amperage', the use of which should incur a minimum of 12 years prison sentence in my view.

We don't say 'degreesage' for temperature or 'psi-ish-ness' for pressure. Its CURRENT, people.

Ahem one on my little pet hates.

And yes agree with the above, excepting that I'm not sure whether the CURRENT that a Pre2 draws through a pre2 charger is limited by the charger's power rating (such that the 5v gets 'pulled down' a bit), or the Pre2's current draw. If its the former, then you might find the pre2 heats up faster using a TP charger. But no, nothing to worry about, it won't pull more than it needs.
    Last edited by Andyf; 09/15/2011 at 10:05 AM.
    PostmanPat and Pitxitxita like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Great thread. I have been wondering the same thing.

ET
    Agreed and I have been doing this same thing! My worry is that in the long run it would not be good for my Pre2, it charges it soooo much faster though I love it. Thanks for your help everyone!
    works with Pixi as well fyi