1.    #1  
    Read a few posts regarding the 4G model upcoming (assuming its USA connectivity only for a while) so started reading about the MiFi solutions, i have to say i was impressed, and was definatly swayed when a reviewer of 1 device stated that although the 4G Ipad/TPad's etc would have built in net access that when you considered the price all you got was that 1 device online.

Then he stated that for the cheaper alternative, the MiFi companion hardware you were handed WiFi support to your touchpad/ipad/whatever and any other devices that also used wifi, and indeed i aquired one that supports up to 5 devices, my touchpad used it flawlessly, i even managed to get my laptop (underused now i have the touchpad) and PS3 hooked into it, even my nephew's nintendoDS/Wii just to see if they would.

Would definatly like to hear what others are going to do? 4G models or MiFi hardware? i originally thought it would be a hassle having the Mifi carried around but i really do just turn it on, stick it in a pocket and forget its there, havent managed to try a battery stress test yet, but its definatly lasted more than 2 1/2 hours of use on before i recharged it, claims up to 4 hours.

This is the device a reviewer had tested, Zoom We3G MiFi Unlocked 7.2 Mobile 3G HotSpot & Wireless Router (Embedded SIM) 4520-72-00F

but after some searching around for similar i ended up aquiring a pay as you go version of this, Three - Mobile Broadband - MiFi simply because i had a laptop usb dongle with them some years back for my ageing laptop and it was good coverage back then, when i was traveling all over the country for a while (UK user btw).

all been good so far, very happy indeed.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    How about using the HP Veer or other webOS phone's tethering capability. It is essentially a MiFi and you will be carrying it with you anyway. I just wish that this was an included deal, like you get to tether your TP through your phone for no extra charge. Wishful?
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  3.    #3  
    ive read a bit on thethering as well and ive seen a lot of people having large issues down to small issues using that route, the MiFi devices look to be like a normal tried and tested industry standard beamed over 3g/hsdpa/etc and seem more reliable and far reaching to other hardware.

I'd also read some providers treat tethering strangely, sometimes asking for more /$, being a UK user as well, I think some providers like T-Mobile dont allow it or just demand more cash.

and yeah your mentioned solution would be quite tasty.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/10/2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I am talking about using the carrier branded tethering app (actually programmed by HP) called "mobile hotspot". I am surprised to see people having issues with that.

now, using freetether is another story, but if you are going to spend the money on a MiFi plan, why not use that money to feed kb to your phone and tablet? Does the mobile hotspot have issues for everybody?
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  5.    #5  
    my choice is probably down to a lack of info on the aforementioned hp route, ive always tended to prefer somethign i can thoroughly read up on, esp reviews others have had, and i tend to shy away from something with nagging issues or little information.

Also a lot of the HP related info i see seems heavily USA dominant esp when mentioning ISP/Phone network providers, being UK im not always ready to take the potential risk of hoping something will work in the UK after aquiring it.
    I have a MIFI from Verizon and a TP/ I am not able to get the two to pair up in Blue Tooth. Can you provide steps that you took to get this to work?

Thanks,
    John
    I have an ATT MiFi using WiFi to connect to my TouchPad working great.
    I would recommend trying WiFi and Not Bluetooth. Bluetooth is just not a great substitute for WiFi.

IMO Bluetooth was not original intended for constant streaming of large amounts of data.

and to the person who started the thread. I personally can not afford to have a Data plan tied to just one device, so I will stick with WiFi and MiFi. Now if i could just find a GPS solution for the WiFi touchpad.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    @work we have Verizon LTE hotspots for whatever reason floating around a department- not that bad in speed.

I had a Sprint Overdrive 4g- it was not that bad- the speed was not quite able to replace my home internet as I was wanting- but its very nice to have alittle box that you can take in the car etc and connect laptop etc to 4g.

However

FreeTeather > all bc its free and NOT another monthly charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by jebz28 View Post
    I have a MIFI from Verizon and a TP/ I am not able to get the two to pair up in Blue Tooth. Can you provide steps that you took to get this to work?

Thanks,
    John
    You don't pair them up in bluetooth; the MiFi does the same thing your wifi router does at home (or wherever). You simply connect your TP to the MiFi wifi in the drop-down menu to "Turn on WiFi". If you set up your MiFi to be a secure network, you may have to go through the logon screen each time, but if you don't close down the wifi connection every time, you may not have to go through the logon screen.

My cable modem took a lightening hit last night during a thunderstorm and is belly-up, so until Wednesday night when "Mo" the cable modem guy can get here to replace it, without my MiFi I would be up that nasty creek without a paddle.

I got the MiFi primarily for secure surfing while traveling, and also to allow my grandson to connect to my network without having to tie up my cell phone for wifi hotspot purposes while we are away from our houses. We spend weekends at least three months of the year traveling to his sister's college softball games, and depending on how long we are in the car or train, being able to keep special needs people busy with the internet has been a gift from God. My MiFi has paid for itself in convenience many times over.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    The biggest thing for me with the TP 4G is that it has a GPS built in. I've not seen any mention of the TP being able to read GPS coordinates from the Mifi hot spots (that support sending them out, the Sprint one supposedly does). Has anyone seen that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by abcdpeterson View Post
    ....Now if i could just find a GPS solution for the WiFi touchpad.
    Amen, Brother, Amen! I would LOVE to have NDrive V11 for webOS optimized for the TouchPad. Or, some other really top-notch navigation app for our wifi TPs. The MiFi is GPS enabled.
    I'm currently on my TP using Verizon LTE on one of their 4g hotspots. It is fast. Needless to say it puts my old 3 meg DSL connection to some serious shame. My laptop was consistently testing 12 megs down and 5 up like advertised.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctre View Post
    The biggest thing for me with the TP 4G is that it has a GPS built in. I've not seen any mention of the TP being able to read GPS coordinates from the Mifi hot spots (that support sending them out, the Sprint one supposedly does). Has anyone seen that work?
    curious about this too, can you get location services with mifis? i was thinking of getting the virgin mobile one, since its the cheapest and no contract.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    As a UK user, I can advise two things....

i) Using FreeTether or any of the other solutions that convert your Pre / Veer into mobile hotspot burns through the battery like there's no tomorrow.

ii) I have successfully used the Huawei D100T to create a 3G hotspot. It's not battery powered (unlike the genuine MiFi) but it works well. You can pickup unlocked ones from ebay (as I did) and use any 3G network SIM. Just make sure the dongle you use is compatible.

I'm not allowed to connect my TouchPad onto the company wireless network, so I've set one of these up in my office to connect up my TouchPad and Pre 2 over wifi and it's worked perfectly.
    I will be doing some minor troubleshooting tonight after my new cable modem arrives, because I thought for sure the TP was picking up its location from my wifi signal, but now I am not sure. I do know that right now the TP is not picking up my location while I am using my MiFi. This is really disappointing!

The MiFi is still worth the money to me because at least it gives me a cell phone-free wifi signal for web surfing while traveling and when lightening-prone FL conditions knock out my cable modem.

Surely the real techies can figure a way to use any wifi signal to enable location services. If not, I will just use my cell phone for navigating again. Heavy Siiiiiiiiiiiigh. I refuse to buy another tablet just for the GPS (well, maybe, given time and money).
    agreed, freetether might as well be called the battery drainer !

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    As a UK user, I can advise two things....

i) Using FreeTether or any of the other solutions that convert your Pre / Veer into mobile hotspot burns through the battery like there's no tomorrow.

ii) I have successfully used the Huawei D100T to create a 3G hotspot. It's not battery powered (unlike the genuine MiFi) but it works well. You can pickup unlocked ones from ebay (as I did) and use any 3G network SIM. Just make sure the dongle you use is compatible.

I'm not allowed to connect my TouchPad onto the company wireless network, so I've set one of these up in my office to connect up my TouchPad and Pre 2 over wifi and it's worked perfectly.