Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
    Nice job. {Jonathan}
    James...nice article. I sure hope you're right. I have 9 days left before I decide to return this TouchPad to Staples. I'm 50/50 right now. I'd be 90/10 in favor if I knew quality, big-name TouchPad apps were coming. As info...also @MrRobinson on Twitter.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thanks. I always approach gadgets and platforms from the perspective of can it do what I need today? The TouchPad does indeed fit my needs (which may not be the same as yours) so I look at future apps as just gravy.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
    Quote Originally Posted by jkendrick View Post
    Thanks. I always approach gadgets and platforms from the perspective of can it do what I need today? The TouchPad does indeed fit my needs (which may not be the same as yours) so I look at future apps as just gravy.
    Finally, a positive "glass half full" comment.
    Nice rebuttal. I agree completely...
    im used to owning the underdog of hardware, i was a die hard Amiga fan for yaers on end, was still using them until i just couldnt aquire spare parts for bits that broke down and some ebay routes ended up in failure.

If the hardware/OS is good, people will use it, word of mouth goes a long way sometimes with hardware and software, once the tpad has a better foundation of apps esp ones we all want and need (im talking to you rdp/vnc, better skype, citrix, fair few more) then things will look up and others can actually see for themselves its a worthwhile device.

Atm its hard to tell a friend or family to get one when the most impressive noticable thing it does is view flash webpages and play angry birds without adverts in a bigger screen.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Nice column, liked also the comment session where it was stated that HP does not run away from a fight. Thread below with link to NY Times article that discusses HP's long-term strategy to invest to rebuild. The VC guy who is the chairman has made a boatload of money investing in various ventures understands this in his bones and I would generally bet on him over the TechCrunch pundits. Our country has forgotten this concept of investing to grow. We the users are already seeing HP commitment with our $50 early adopter app catalogue credit, I'm sure there are other moves HP is making to seed the ecosystem.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...ml#post3061741
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    im used to owning the underdog of hardware, i was a die hard Amiga fan for yaers on end, was still using them until i just couldnt aquire spare parts for bits that broke down and some ebay routes ended up in failure.

If the hardware/OS is good, people will use it, word of mouth goes a long way sometimes with hardware and software, once the tpad has a better foundation of apps esp ones we all want and need (im talking to you rdp/vnc, better skype, citrix, fair few more) then things will look up and others can actually see for themselves its a worthwhile device.

Atm its hard to tell a friend or family to get one when the most impressive noticable thing it does is view flash webpages and play angry birds without adverts in a bigger screen.
    You really think the most impressive thing about the TP is Flash and AngryBirds? My Transformer does both of those with ease. I picked up a TP this past weekend and I'm not looking back. Do you actually own a TP?

I'll keep comparing this product to Windows Phone 7. I went through the same issues and read the same kind of reviews/forum posts as the TP is getting. That product came a long way in a short amount of time regarding updates and apps. Some reputable groups are predicting that platform to be on top in a couple years.

So be patient. This product is a month or so old. No technology is perfect out of the gate anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    You really think the most impressive thing about the TP is Flash and AngryBirds? My Transformer does both of those with ease. I picked up a TP this past weekend and I'm not looking back. Do you actually own a TP?

I'll keep comparing this product to Windows Phone 7. I went through the same issues and read the same kind of reviews/forum posts as the TP is getting. That product came a long way in a short amount of time regarding updates and apps. Some reputable groups are predicting that platform to be on top in a couple years.

So be patient. This product is a month or so old. No technology is perfect out of the gate anymore.
    if your showing a stock touchpad to a friend, what exactly would you show them, because atm the mantra youll repeat to most people will be "nah you have to buy an app for that" or "nah we cant do that yet".

And the first thing most casual users will look for is a social app and probably some form of game, and definatly the first thign their likely to be able to do on it as standard is check out some webpages.

i have zero issues with the touchpad, so no i dont have to wait and be patient, i already am, im talking about how youd encourage someone else who would probably just blindly buy an ipad (because thats what eleveryone else they know has), how would you show them your touchpad and make others a believer, currently i dont know how, esp when i live with an ios and android user.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    if your showing a stock touchpad to a friend, what exactly would you show them, because atm the mantra youll repeat to most people will be "nah you have to buy an app for that" or "nah we cant do that yet".

And the first thing most casual users will look for is a social app and probably some form of game, and definatly the first thign their likely to be able to do on it as standard is check out some webpages.
    Good point, but for any tablet out of the box you would say "you need an app to do that". They all do basically the same thing, it's how they do it. Here's what I showed my friend: I can compose an e-mail, and go back to my inbox to reference other e-mails, then back to composing my e-mail. I do this all the time when replying to e-mails. On the iPad/Android tables, composing an e-mail doesn't let you go back. You have to save it as a draft, then go look at what you want to in your inbox, then edit your draft. So I really push the multi-tasking aspect to them.

Facebook runs great in the stock browser. And the browser renders any type of web page with speed and ease. Way better then the stock Android browser.
    In the world of "monkey see, monkey do" blogging, it's refreshing to see someone actually have an opinion of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Good point, but for any tablet out of the box you would say "you need an app to do that". They all do basically the same thing, it's how they do it. Here's what I showed my friend: I can compose an e-mail, and go back to my inbox to reference other e-mails, then back to composing my e-mail. I do this all the time when replying to e-mails. On the iPad/Android tables, composing an e-mail doesn't let you go back. You have to save it as a draft, then go look at what you want to in your inbox, then edit your draft. So I really push the multi-tasking aspect to them.

Facebook runs great in the stock browser. And the browser renders any type of web page with speed and ease. Way better then the stock Android browser.
    again good points, my problem (convincing others) is that they can still get the same job done, even if it takes them a moment longer, only they can do more because of their apps (yeah for us time will fix that) but after we wait for so long more people will have just bought the "safe" option, the dreaded ipad/androids (mostly ipads).

ive managed to showcase exactly what you have, told people about the amazing usefulness of synergy, but its hard to tell someone at work/a friend about something they cant really phsically see, sounds great but many want shiney things to see with their eyes.

Whereas the person sat next to me has a phone or ipad thats doing allsorts of funky stuff, its not that webOS is bad, its totally brilliant and very clever, its just that to a potential customer theres not a lot for them to see currently that woudl make them go "oh my i HAVE to have this instead of an ipad", by nature most go for the safe/well known brand/product and atm thats apple unfortunatly.
    actually NickA, one of the thigns you mentioned, the comparisions of say emailing etc, 1 of the thigsn that would possibly help sway peopel would maybe be a side by side comparison/video showing each do their individual things, i wonder if anyone has already doen this on youtube, its something that could easily show off some webOS strong points.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    In the world of "monkey see, monkey do" blogging, it's refreshing to see someone actually have an opinion of their own.
    many opinions, even job experience and many other things are monkey see monkey do (word of mouth etc) assisted, it can be very useful.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    again good points, my problem (convincing others) is that they can still get the same job done, even if it takes them a moment longer, only they can do more because of their apps (yeah for us time will fix that) but after we wait for so long more people will have just bought the "safe" option, the dreaded ipad/androids (mostly ipads).

ive managed to showcase exactly what you have, told people about the amazing usefulness of synergy, but its hard to tell someone at work/a friend about something they cant really phsically see, sounds great but many want shiney things to see with their eyes.

Whereas the person sat next to me has a phone or ipad thats doing allsorts of funky stuff, its not that webOS is bad, its totally brilliant and very clever, its just that to a potential customer theres not a lot for them to see currently that woudl make them go "oh my i HAVE to have this instead of an ipad", by nature most go for the safe/well known brand/product and atm thats apple unfortunatly.
    I can understand what you are saying. When I have my Android tablet or my TouchPad tablet, people still ask if they can play with my "iPad". It's almost like "Kleenex". It's actually a tissue, but no matter the brand people still call it a Kleenex.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkendrick View Post
    Did you really call Amanda a vulture

the vultures are always circling overhead ready to pounce on the latest roadkill.
    Vultures pounce???
    I thought vultures Swoop in.

In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    James,

Thanks, excellent article and nice refreshing view. I still think WebOS is great and I think a lot of the doom and gloom comes from carrier issues and availability of hardware.

I for one will be back, I have been on Android for 3 weeks now and I know it is not a long term solution for me. The elegance of WebOS is where it's at.
    Dan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast