Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    The IPS screen on the Touchpad is ideal for watching videos. I am very pleased with video quality, but very disappointed with audio maximum level. I am happy with the quality of the audio, but the max volume level is significantly lower than any other mobile / tablet device I own. I contacted HP Live chat, no known solutions. All audio settings are set to max, but still very disappointing.
    Tried a display unit at BB to ascertain if I may have a defective unit, but the display unit's max volume was too low as well. I am an older guy so don't want ear shattering audio, but do want to hear it. My hearing tests fine, and same video files have much higher volume on iOS, and Android phones / tablets.

I was watching a Hulu video with built in speakers, earbuds, and external speakers. In all cases, max volume was to low to enjoy. Switched to same Hulu video with Hulu + on iiPad 2, and had to turn down the volume on the external speakers because it was too loud at the same setting it was too low for the Touchpad. I'll take better audio level over Beats audio anyday. Both would be nice, but max level is more important for me. Hopefully a software update can correct this issue.

Has anyone else noticed a low max volume?
    Last edited by jimtravis; 08/09/2011 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtravis View Post
    The IPS screen on the Touchpad is ideal for watching videos. I am very pleased with video quality, but very disappointed with audio maximum level. I am happy with the quality of the audio, but the max volume level is significantly lower than any other mobile / tablet device I own. I contacted HP Live chat, no known solutions. All audio settings are set to max, but still very disappointing.
    Tried a display unit at BB to ascertain if I may have a defective unit, but the display unit's max volume was too low as well. I am an older guy so don't want ear shattering audio, but do want to hear it. My hearing tests fine, and same video files have much higher volume on iOS, and Android phones / tablets.

I was watching a Hulu video with built in speakers, earbuds, and external speakers. In all cases, max volume was to low to enjoy. Switched to same Hulu video with Hulu + on iiPad 2, and had to turn down the volume on the external speakers because it was too loud at the same setting it was too low for the Touchpad. I'll take better audio level over Beats audio anyday. Both would be nice, but max level is more important for me. Hopefully a software update can correct this issue.

i too think the max levels are too low. if you are interested in homebrew, there is a patch you can download that will increase the volume
    yep patch it! Really helps!
    my TP audio is amazingly loud without any patches to the audio. When your stating the audio sucks, how are you holding the TP?

I tend to set my TP down at its highest setting with the stock case when watching video and the reflecting of sound off a flat surface seems to be the best. Sound is quite loud and most the ti e I can't even watch movies without having to turn the sound down 1-2 clicks.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtravis View Post

I am also having this problem. I'm not old, and I've tried it with speakers, headphones, earbuds and built-in sound. All of these aside from the externally powered speakers are too quiet to enjoy viewing/listening to anything on the touchpad.

I see that if I put preware on it I could do it - though I don't understand enough about the process yet to know what I'd be getting myself into if I did. It seems ridiculous that this needs to be done to use the device as any sort of media platform. Absolutely ridiculous!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I installed the patch but then uninstalled it because i was getting clipping. I really dont want to blow the speakers. Maybe others have had better luck with it. I didnt keep it very long though because it made me a bit nervous
  7. dxl
    did you install the Lite version?
    I installed the regular increase volume patch and it was too much, I remember bringing up the Formula 1 webpage and when the sound effect came on (F1 engine at full RPM) my cat jumped straight up in the air 3 feet, lol. I uninstalled that patch and installed the lite increase volume patch and it is perfect.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Yeah the lite version works good. I think i have the volume level up too high on the kalemsoft player
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I agree with OP.. The volume is pretty sufficient when coming out of TP speakers but the audio out to speakers or headphones is way too low to really enjoy anything. I was considering using this in the car and I honestly couldn't because I had to practically max my civics volume to listen at level my iPod does on low stereo volume.. I tried the patches but both lite and full version make audio out in car sound like complete garbage..
    nevermind found it, sorry
    Last edited by mlkmade; 08/27/2011 at 02:18 AM. Reason: mistake