Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone,

I just received my TP today and this is my first webOS device. Since this is my first webOS device, i am not familiar it at all. Now I have some questions and I will greatly appreciate it if someone can answer them.

1) Is there any tweaks that I can do to have my TP run faster? I heard of Preware app and patches. Where can I download them?

2) I also heard you can overclock to 1.7, where can I go to find out how to overclock my device to 1.7?

3) Those that are familiar with iOS and Android, is there such a thing as jailbreak or rooting for TP?

4) Any other tips and advice on what to do with my tablet?

5) And how do you close apps that are running?

Once again, thank you and I hope to enjoy my TP and webOS
    3, no
    5, swipe up from bottom of the screen will shrink app into card view, swipe it again to the top of the screen will "throw" it out of the screen, therefore close it.
    WebOS lets you go easily into "dev mode", which is like jailbreaking or rooting your device - just type in the kinomi code into the just type/url textbox at the top of the screen. That will let you run a lot of install scripts from your mac or pc, including preware. Preware then lets you install patches, new kernals, beta versions of apps, etc.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    the konami code is upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
    jailbreaking and rooting are completely different. ka1 is misinformed.
    The easiest way to learn about homebrew, preware, and overclocking is by getting the preware homebrew documentation app from the app catalog
    feltmoney, ebolamonkey3 and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    jailbreaking and rooting are completely different. ka1 is misinformed.
    come on, it was in the context of his question... He seems to be asking if there is a way to go beyond normal user privileges...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    See my answers:

Quote Originally Posted by anoose View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just received my TP today and this is my first webOS device. Since this is my first webOS device, i am not familiar it at all. Now I have some questions and I will greatly appreciate it if someone can answer them.

1) Is there any tweaks that I can do to have my TP run faster? I heard of Preware app and patches. Where can I download them?
    See the following thread here. The patches are here.

2) I also heard you can overclock to 1.7, where can I go to find out how to overclock my device to 1.7?
    Once you install Preware, you can download UberKernel and Govnah. The first replaces the stock kernel, and the second allows you to set controls and monitor your clock and temps, as well as battery usage.

3) Those that are familiar with iOS and Android, is there such a thing as jailbreak or rooting for TP?
    Jailbreaking and rooting in-validate your warranty. Putting a webOS device into Developer mode DOES NOT. BIG DIFFERENCE. It also allows you to load Preware, the overclocking kernels (like UberKernel), and load homebrew apps and themes. Others have already mentioned the Konami code.

There are a lot of apps out there to play with. Explore. The tablet is good at consuming content, posting to social network sites, doing email, taking notes, and playing games.

You have three main options (all from card view): 1) Toss the card up to toss it away. 2) Drag the card to the bottom of the screen and let go (slingshot style). 3) Turn your speakers up, then rotate the device into landscape mode with the home button to the left, and repeat step 2 for a fun surprise!

feltmoney and Rnp like this.
    Hello everyone,

Falconrap's answers are very good. The only thing I'd add is that webOS Internals has a wiki with instructions for everything you might want to do to your webOS device. The wiki is *probably* linked in one of the threads that falconrap added, but if not, just google "webOS internals wiki" and you should find it.
    Greetings Anoose, I have a month on you; the tpad is my first WebOS thing. Here are some answers that I've found that should help:

1) follow the directions at the link here for PreWare:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    alternatively, in the app catalogue, buy the Preware documentation and it will cover the same material and then some. Installing Preware will enable you access to patches and utilities that you'll find to be of interest.

to get into dev mode you can do the updownupdown thingy or (my preference) use "webos20090606". It's shorter and easier to remember. There's also a homebrew app that'll do it automagically. Woot!

2) Within Preware, the current version of Uberkernel (must also have Govnah installed) will overclock to 1.5 GHz. The 1.7 GHz kernels are the test ones, so to play with those, you would need to consider whether or not you're ready to be an alpha tester

3) I have no idea; not having either one, nor desiring either. My understanding is that it's not really necessary if you've got Preware and the associated capabilities

4) If you have a Pre phone of some sort, or actually an Android, and want to be mobile, take a look at the Preware freetether app, as well as Private browser (in the app catalogue), Overlord monitoring, etc...

spend some time in lurking in the Homebrew forums.

Get a good bluetooth headset if you plan to use Skype with the tpad.

Let the kids play with it; it's interesting to watch how fast they pick up working with WebOS, and then show you new things.

5) my personal favorite way to close things is to hit the center/home button to turn it into a card, then pull the card down and let it shoot up to the top, whilst it makes Angry Bird sounds. Cracks the kids up; cracks me up. I'm a silly guy.

Overall, have fun with it! I like it better than the droidthings I played with, and iOS isn't personally intuitive to me
    RoverNole and JCPDX like this.
  11.    #11  
    thank everyone for replying back to my questions. I will try these out once I get home. By th way I'm on the 3.0.0 firmware, should I upgrade or stay on this firmware?
    thank everyone for replying back to my questions. I will try these out once I get home. By th way I'm on the 3.0.0 firmware, should I upgrade or stay on this firmware?
    Definitely upgrade.
    upgrade! Its so much faster

Fairly easy installs for these tweaks, apps and patches...
    ........JC.........

15.    #15  
    so i was able to find F15C kernel on preware, so I uninstalled the Uberkernel and installed F15C instead. Now, I ran Govnah to change the Min Frequency to 384 MHZ and Max Frequency to 1.728 ghz and whenI hit apply settings it gives me an error saying Unable to open /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor so i clicked back to the main screen and its displaying 1.728 ghz. Does this mean its been applied or do i need to redo something?
    Last edited by anoose; 08/10/2011 at 04:36 AM.
    Personally I would stick with the Uberkernal if you are new to webos.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    UPGRADE!!!

-Gromet
    Apple iPad2 64GB WiFi +3G (Verizon)
    Apple iPhone4 32GB (AT&T)
    Touchpad 32GB WiFi - RETURNED
    Veer 4G - SOLD
    fwiw 3.0.0 is the version of the OS, <not> the firmware. You definitely should upgrade the OS version to 3.0.2 for a variety of reasons. Prior to doing that, uninstall any Preware things, including kernel. Then, once you've updated to 3.0.2, then selectively reinstall the various things. elsewise any issues you report or questions you have will invariably start with "upgrade first". ;-)
    New users may wish to check out this thread

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...oldtimers.html
    Quick side question: if you have uberkernel or F15C installed already, and a new version of the OS like 3.0.2 comes out, do you have to uninstall the kernels (and other patches you have) first, update, and then reinstall the preware kernels/patches?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast