Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Just through about 2/3 my day with various cards open - mail, browser, calendar, etc. Got a "too many cards open" message at the 7th card. Is this typical? I know I can simply restart, but I expected to be able to do more than that.

Are there known apps that don't release memory fully?
    I got a "to many cards" with no cards open. I laughed and re-started. Also fixed a couple apps that were not working quite right.
    For most of the built-in apps, the app loads faster the second time, which seems to mean that it's caching them in memory.

If you close them by slingshotting them away (dragging to the bottom and letting go) that's supposed to close them fully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    I got a "to many cards" with no cards open. I laughed and re-started. Also fixed a couple apps that were not working quite right.
    Haha same here. But I never restarted my TP after the 3.0.2 update. So did a restart and after that everything ran a lot smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    For most of the built-in apps, the app loads faster the second time, which seems to mean that it's caching them in memory.

If you close them by slingshotting them away (dragging to the bottom and letting go) that's supposed to close them fully.
    Oh really? I have not heard about that. Can anyone confirm that swiping up closes the app but caches data in memory, while swiping down and slinging them up closes the app completely?
    I had always heard of the "too many cards" errors but never experienced them in the first 15 months of owning a pre+. get my touchpad and within 2 weeks of the OTA update and get it about ever 2-3 days and it's random and even after rebooting daily. it seems for me that the update made my touchpad worse rather than better in that aspect. it is slower for me and I get those new error often. my phone app is really bad now too.

to correct it for a while I just reboot. I even have all my logging turned down to errors only.
    I think there's a couple of threads on this issue...

i'm in the same boat, although prior to the update I was getting blank errors which I know now to be the dreaded TMCE....

its really annoying - last time the solution came via webOS internals - I've yet too install any kernals - does that solve the error problem??
    what apps are you guys running? im not in the same boat, but i have experienced the too many cards error once. im sure it was due to having so many browser cards open. if the webpages are heavy with content, you'll either get the error or have all your pages refresh. memory issues...
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    Haha same here. But I never restarted my TP after the 3.0.2 update. So did a restart and after that everything ran a lot smoother.

Oh really? I have not heard about that. Can anyone confirm that swiping up closes the app but caches data in memory, while swiping down and slinging them up closes the app completely?
    Yes it's true.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    thats crazy!! I had 40 cards open just a while ago just to see how many it will let me open.. when I opened the 41 card the touchpad did a luna restart lol
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Have you tried using Preware and downloading Govnah and UberKernel or F16Eagle? I read somewhere that overclocking will help prevent the too many cards issue. I'll try to find the link and post it here on how to do this. I did it to my Touchpad along with all the other recommendations and it was night and day difference.

Here is the link: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html

Here is the other thing I did that I think made a difference too.
    http://m.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/...-touchpad/3866

Seriously HUGE DIFFERENCE!
    Last edited by twhite; 08/23/2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Added Links
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Wherever did you hear that two different close gestures closes the apps in different ways? That seems extremely odd to me. Source please.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    Can anyone confirm that swiping up closes the app but caches data in memory, while swiping down and slinging them up closes the app completely?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Yes it's true.
    Sauce? I don't have a TouchPad ("yet", with a little luck) but I'd like to believe I'm fairly well-informed about webOS features and I have never read anything to that effect
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Wherever did you hear that two different close gestures closes the apps in different ways? That seems extremely odd to me. Source please.
    I'm pretty sure HardBeatz said something about it a while ago. Good luck finding it though.

But to demonstrate, open your calendar for the first time after a reboot, it takes a few seconds. Swipe it away off the top of the screen, and the next launch it'll launch immediately. Slingshot it off the screen, and it'll take a few seconds again.