Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Especially if the Touchpad is utilizing the panes and scrolling lists, where are the scrollbars? If not scrollbars, where are the visual cues that let you know how long is this list/webpage?

I do not know if Apple has a patent on the scrollbars that only show up when you are scrolling and disappear when stationary, but this seems like a very important UI detail that is missing from the Touchpad.

I really hope HP reads this forum and sees that these addition to webos will mean a great deal to the experience, especially if other OSes are already providing them.
    There are patches that add scrollbars to webOS phones in the web browser. Give it some time and im sure there will be a developer that gets around to this on the touchpad.
    Yea, having one there just to see where you are on the page would be nice. And w/ the scroll bar you can quickly scroll to the bottom/top.
    mazdanut likes this.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    @jsgraphicart Yes, I remember having those patches for my Palm Pre, I hope they do find their way onto the Touchpad.

My main concern though is for the general market, the ones that do not use Preware and do not install patches, what about them? Scrollbars aren't like OCed kernels where there is a liability attached to it, scrollbars enhance the user experience and do not really provide anything negatively associated.

I really do appreciate the Homebrew community for webos, and I would like to see that bridged between the efforts of those developers and those at HP who are providing bug fixes and OS enhancements along the way. Especially for these more pressing UI details that are not present, I'm wondering if there could be a thread created exclusively for bringing certain UI details to light so that when there is a major OTA update coming through the pipeline to the general public, things like scrollbars, which are already present on all computers and most mobile devices, can make their way onto webos.

This may not be how things works and I may be shooting bullets in the air, but I am trying to break the process of everyone who is competent enough to be involved with homebrew and Preware enjoying all the benefits and tweaks of certain advancements made to the UI. The general public is left underwhelmed and oblivious to the fact that there were 'underground' improvements made, but HP never thought to adopt those.

Is there anything we can do or will webos continue to be enjoyed by a small number of enthusiasts, and never be fully embraced by the general public in a good way?
    ebolamonkey3 likes this.
    scrollbar is just too passe. get gestures that recognise characters.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    @apollo_sg Can you ellaborate further on gestures that recognise characters? I don't even know what that means. Shouldn't you be able to just look at it without having to do a gesture? That seems like extra steps.
    a great thing android scrolling has is momentum. Flick and it scrolls flick twice and it adds to that.... Like spinning a basketball on your finger. Also the scroll bar hides until you start to scroll.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    @IcerC Yes, the inertia scrolling is definitely welcome, as the UI begins to interpret the intensity of the flick, whether or not to scroll more or less. I like this as well, and also the scrollbars hiding until you scroll. It is the same on iOS as it is on Android, I am hoping webOS does something better if not similar.
    Two fingers should amplify movements by 2.. 3 fingers by 3. Not talking about flicks here, just finger to screen movement.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I also want a scrollbar - I cant see how long the websites are.

And if I am in a forum and go back, im on top of the site and musst scroll down - but I dont know how far, because I have no (scroll) indicator
    Papermache is a good example of a great implementation of scrollbars. Wonder why this is so deprecated on webos...*

Me love scrollbars
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Papermache is a good example of a great implementation of scrollbars. Wonder why this is so deprecated on webos...*

Me love scrollbars

+1
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    yea, having one there just to see where you are on the page would be nice. And w/ the scroll bar you can quickly scroll to the bottom/top.
    Yes!

+1
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    It's in webOS apps all over the place and even on Pre 3 browser via a patch. Why is it so hard for the TouchPad?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    What apps other than Paper Mache?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    must admit it would be good to know how far down a page you are at a glance.

+1 from me
    Can't say I've felt the need for any. I usually know where I am on a page, and most pages aren't horrendously long. Nothing two quick flicks in either direction won't fix.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I use free email through mail.com and on the touchpad 3.0.2, the scroll bars never showed up but I could scroll as though the scroll bars were there. In 3.0.4, the scrolling no longer works. Yes, we need scroll bars .. or at least put back the scrolling functionality which broke in 3.0.4
    Get them to fix their website.

And yes, it really should have a scrollbar for all apps. You can see it was designed to have that in the Enyo design document, but it was never implemented... sigh.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast