Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Yes, there are positive things about having Flash running on the Touchpad. The problem, you see, is that the experience of the internet was never meant to be touch-based. It is good that Youtube is running in the Touchpad browser, but it is a bad thing if I have to 'tiptoe' around using it, pecking at it. It's not intuitive.

It's no surprise that people watch a lot of Youtube videos. But I see many things wrong with watching them on the Touchpad.

1. If a video is playing, once you tap on the video to scrub through it or advance it, it will pause. Other Flash videos on other sites do not do this. You can tap on them all you want, they keep playing. It is only when you tap on the very bottom of the Youtube video where the slider is at that it keeps playing. But it's not a convenience thing at all, it's in fact the very opposite.

2. You can technically scrub through a Youtube video, but it is not a good process. There is a delayed response to dragging it, laggy and takes a few pecks just to grab it at the right spot. The touch experience was never meant to be this meticulous.

3. The Apple iPad loads a mobile site (m.youtube.com) that aranges the site in a nice grid-like presentation that cuts out all the bs and leaves you with what you went there for, movies. When I tried to load m.youtube.com on the Touchpad it is a broken representation.

Like I said, the ability to run Flash is good, but Flash does not automatically mean a good experience. There are hover qualities that you cannot replicate easily within a strictly touch-based environment. There are a ton of Flash ads that weigh down on loading times (Yes, I know about Ad Blocker but hear me out). To control Flash videos is a very precious process where you are gingerly trying to get the right spot, holding onto that moment when you wait to see if your touch went through or not.

The Facebook Tablet app is wonderful. I do not understand why something as popular as Youtube was not built in natively. To me, it was either not enough time/resourceful or they thought that the browser was good enough. I understand there are many different video sites that use Flash out there and I am not expecting HP to make native apps for all of them, but when the browser experience of Youtube on the Touchpad is obviously lagging, then it must be some indication that there are better ways to present this to the consumer.

Does anyone share the same views?
    Yes I completely agree. All of the Android phones that run flash still have a YouTube app. Yes it works in the browser but as you said, its not the greatest experience for a touch interface. Facebook, Twitter, etc all work in the browser as well yet it's much easier to navigate and use these services with an app.

However, I think HP may be purposely not building an app as a way to show off the TouchPad's flash capabilities and forcing you to use the youtube site. Although it is curious that there is a YouTube icon in the launcher. Hopefully its a placeholder for a future app.
    I dream of World Wide webOS.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Yes, they may be trying to redirect people back to the web. I have been pleasantly surprised at the Flash performance in most instances, but oddly enough Youtube was the worst.

The Youtube icon is strange in that once it is tapped, it launches a Youtube card and a Web card, but once the Web card loads and enlarges, the Youtube card is tossed away. Sort of a backdoor kind of trick, but hopefully it is some indication of a native app in the future.

I am hoping that HP realizes that just because it is there and working (Flash), that does not mean it is the most pleasant option to pursue. I do commend Apple for believing in what it thought was a bad thing (Flash) and acting upon that, and I also like that HP made Flash available. But where is the middle ground?
    Quote Originally Posted by msechea View Post
    Yes, there are positive things about having Flash running on the Touchpad. The problem, you see, is that the experience of the internet was never meant to be touch-based. It is good that Youtube is running in the Touchpad browser, but it is a bad thing if I have to 'tiptoe' around using it, pecking at it. It's not intuitive.

It's no surprise that people watch a lot of Youtube videos. But I see many things wrong with watching them on the Touchpad.

1. If a video is playing, once you tap on the video to scrub through it or advance it, it will pause. Other Flash videos on other sites do not do this. You can tap on them all you want, they keep playing. It is only when you tap on the very bottom of the Youtube video where the slider is at that it keeps playing. But it's not a convenience thing at all, it's in fact the very opposite.

2. You can technically scrub through a Youtube video, but it is not a good process. There is a delayed response to dragging it, laggy and takes a few pecks just to grab it at the right spot. The touch experience was never meant to be this meticulous.

3. The Apple iPad loads a mobile site (m.youtube.com) that aranges the site in a nice grid-like presentation that cuts out all the bs and leaves you with what you went there for, movies. When I tried to load m.youtube.com on the Touchpad it is a broken representation.

Like I said, the ability to run Flash is good, but Flash does not automatically mean a good experience. There are hover qualities that you cannot replicate easily within a strictly touch-based environment. There are a ton of Flash ads that weigh down on loading times (Yes, I know about Ad Blocker but hear me out). To control Flash videos is a very precious process where you are gingerly trying to get the right spot, holding onto that moment when you wait to see if your touch went through or not.

The Facebook Tablet app is wonderful. I do not understand why something as popular as Youtube was not built in natively. To me, it was either not enough time/resourceful or they thought that the browser was good enough. I understand there are many different video sites that use Flash out there and I am not expecting HP to make native apps for all of them, but when the browser experience of Youtube on the Touchpad is obviously lagging, then it must be some indication that there are better ways to present this to the consumer.

Does anyone share the same views?
    yes i wish there was an YT app...some of the rss readers..when YT video graphic is clicked...only opens YT mainpage..it works fine on palm pre. It would be good to have the app...
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    I cannot get videos to play when I go to youtube on the TouchPad - the whole page loads with all advertising and related videos - but the video portion of the screen is a blank black rectangle. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover1966 View Post
    I cannot get videos to play when I go to youtube on the TouchPad - the whole page loads with all advertising and related videos - but the video portion of the screen is a blank black rectangle. Does anyone else have this problem?
    yes, I have that problem. Or I'll try and start a video, and the movie player starts up, but nothing happens. Once in a while a video will run. Anyone out there with help?
    maybe they dont want to reinvent the wheel so to speak, the browser plays youtube fine (except the odd few here with a slight issue somewhere), updating or patching up the browser element alone probably seems mroe attractive and less time consuming than also updatign another native youtube app as well.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    @geekpeter While I agree that reinventing the wheel is not something that companies want to waste their time doing, I would argue that there is not even a mobile Youtube site (m.youtube.com) that's available for the Touchpad. A tablet is not a full-fledged computer so I don't think rendering sites as that is doing anything for the consumer. If I was sitting at a tablet with my laptop, it wouldn't bother me. But if I am with a mobile device and it is loading everything under the sun, just so I can watch a video posted on a wall in facebook, that is inefficient.

I do agree with you that while I don't think they need to flesh out a brand new native YT app, there must be some intervening done to curb the wonky video controls, much like Apple has done when it launches a new black screen with its native Apple video controls when watching a Youtube video.
    i can also agree with many of your points about using the full blown web youtube, i often hate trying to stab with my big fingers trying to fast forward ahead in a YT vid only to hit everything except what im after (the precentral fat finger patch helps a bit - aka Increase Touch sensitivity/Smoothness)

While some sites pickup up on a Mobile version of their site, tbh i often dont feel the touchpad needs a heavily cut down one, most times i just feel all it needs for a better TP experience is larger buttons/screen widgits due to our larger screen space, this probably applies to other tablets as well.

Personally i feel websites could differenciate between a smartphone or "mobile device" and a tablet device and treat them differently, cut down version for phones/small stuff, larger buttoned/widgit/easier to nav version for tablets.
    I wouldn't mind a dedicated YT app that I could log into with my account at all.
    If the app is made its going to look like the ipad app rather then the awesome HC one.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I prefer the website, especially after being stuck with the youtube app on my Pre- for the last two years :P A big plus for me is that on youtube.com you have all resolution options availabe to you. My wife's and dad's androids only have two options: crappy and okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    I prefer the website, especially after being stuck with the youtube app on my Pre- for the last two years :P A big plus for me is that on youtube.com you have all resolution options availabe to you. My wife's and dad's androids only have two options: crappy and okay.
    what phones do they have as my phone has high def.
    I prefer the website to an app as well. I may miss a click or two, but the searches and info is way better than any youtube app i've tried. I like being able to choose between 480p and 720p for full screen viewing. I also don't like the Touchpads Facebook App. I prefer the facebook site as well. Guess i'm not all that app crazy.
    Youtube plays great for me but it is a little hard to get used to since it isnt really Touch optimized. I Love the android Honeycomb YouTube app and kinda want something like that.
    I wish there was a way to emulate a 'mouse hover'.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I have a feeling that the youtube icon was meant to be an app but had to be put on hold for more essential 3.0 stuff. I suspect we'll get a youtube app in the near future. It's just too important to overlook.