Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmo1911 View Post
    I hope I can add something to this discussion by summarizing a few previous points and highlighting a few new ones:

- Battery longevity is greatest when you store batteries at relatively low voltages and temperatures. However, it must be high enough to account for natural discharge that occurs during storage, so that the voltage doesn't dip low enough to cause a deep discharge, which will also hurt longevity. (from the batteryuniversity article)

- In general, charging to higher voltages and discharging to lower voltages gives you longer battery runtime, but lesser life. Too bad you can't change the charging thresholds so that you can choose your own balance between runtime and longevity. By the way, the power control panel on most Thinkpad laptops will let you choose charging thresholds.

- When a device is continually topped off, it only requires a trickle charge, which generates less heat than the normal charge current. Every time you discharge a battery enough to induce a normal charge current, you're subjecting it to that much greater heat. You'll have to decide whats worse, a little more heat for a longer time, or a lot more heat for a shorter time.

- When a battery meter shows "100%", it is not the maximum capacity of the battery. Assuming a sensible engineer, the charging circuit has been designed to charge the battery to a voltage that is safe to maintain. So keeping your device's battery at 100% isn't necessarily what you would consider 'overcharging'.

Keeping your Touchpad off the dock will possibly improve your battery longevity. If you wanted to be really serious, you could try to maintain that ~50% charge level for longest life. But really the battery software has already been designed to help you get a good balance of convenience, runtime, and longevity, and most people should not worry to much and let it sit there to charge when not being used.
    Thanks, lots of good info there relating to battery life. I could live with a bit less battery life but I don't like the idea of the TP being constantly heated by the Touchstone (inside the HP folio case making it worse most likely). I expect to be able to just leave it on there over night or longer.

I agree with you that it should be designed to just sit there forever and not cause any issues. Does HP know that? Have they left one sit there for 6 months? Will they have warranty claims for cracked plastic backs? failed internal parts? Who knows I guess?

I just think if they designed it right that it would shut off when the TP was charged and not keep heating it, period.

And then there is the issue of the folio case. If you just want the folio case shut while it is on the Touchstone, why can't Exhibition have a setting to never come on when set on the Touchstone?
    Lion batteries loose a bit of their lives every time they go through a charge/discharge cycle (including a partial discharge). Clever use of electronics (and other materials in the battery) can increase the life of a battery, but only so much so. If you want the battery in your TP to last longer, charge it less often i.e. let the battery drain a bit (but not completely empty) before recharging, and when you recharge, let it recharge fully before taking if off the charge or TS. There is no way of getting around basic physics and materials properties.
    Last edited by Amohazab; 09/14/2011 at 06:26 AM.
    I've had my Pre- for 2-1/2 years and have about 6 touchstones. I leave my Pre on the TS all day long. I have two backup batteries that I bought for $3 each just in case, but the charge is remaining when I take it off the TS and lasts almost all day. Keep in mind the I've had two Pre-'s since the initial Pre due to cracked screens (from the USB port that just moved across the screen as stress cracks).

As far as the TP on the TS, the only thing I've noticed is that Dr. battery says the health of the battery is at 95%. But for the people saying that the while being charged on the TS, the battery level drops down 5% to 95% and back up to 100%, but I've never seen the Charge indicator on the drop down menu ever say less than 100%.

I do take my TP off the TS when I leave for work in the morning and when I get home, the battery only drops to 97%, so this battery is excellent. I'm just worried about the day when we have to replace the battery and now have to probably to the IPhone trick with the heatgun and all that jazz.

Soup.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    What about the Touchstone itself?

If there is no Touchpad sitting on the it, does the Touchpad continue to
    consume electricity? If so, does that shorten the life of the Touchstone
    charger?

I wish I had one of those plug-in electricity meters so I can see how
    much power the Touchstone is using when just sitting there chilling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ac921ol View Post
    JUST A HEADS UP

if you get an email, a message, and update it turns back on and goes into exhibition mode.
    Mine most definitely doesn't do this. Having read a number of reports I have been checking.

Mine has notifications turned ON. Therefore if an email comes in, a calendar item occurs or a message arrives I get the icon in the top bar and a pop-up/drop down showing the event, even on the lock screen.

However when on the touchstone and when put to sleep (pressing the button after the exhibition clock starts) it stays asleep despite notifications occuring (I get 5 or 6 emails overnight typically)

Only once have I found it displaying the clock in the morning and that was when a power outage occured in the night, all other devices (microwave etc.) needed their clocks resetting so it was definitely an outage.

Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    What about the Touchstone itself?

If there is no Touchpad sitting on the it, does the Touchpad continue to
    consume electricity? If so, does that shorten the life of the Touchstone
    charger?

I wish I had one of those plug-in electricity meters so I can see how
    much power the Touchstone is using when just sitting there chilling.
    The Touchstone uses Inductive Charging, which cannot start working until the Touchpad is ON the Touchstone.

As far as drawing a little bit of electricity when not in use, I am not 100% sure, but I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    The Touchstone uses Inductive Charging, which cannot start working until the Touchpad is ON the Touchstone.

As far as drawing a little bit of electricity when not in use, I am not 100% sure, but I doubt it.
    Somebody with a kill-a-watt test it out. See what the draw is empty, when charging a TouchPad, and compare it to whatever the draw is when charging a TouchPad via USB.

I no longer have access to one.
    You know there is one fault to the TS for TP that I can't understand. Does anyone know why there isn't any micro usb input on the TS charger instead of a hard wired connection? It's kind of annoying. Why couldn't they just put the micro usb input where the wire meets the TS anyway, just like the Pre TS? Weird news brewski bears.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    You know there is one fault to the TS for TP that I can't understand. Does anyone know why there isn't any micro usb input on the TS charger instead of a hard wired connection? It's kind of annoying. Why couldn't they just put the micro usb input where the wire meets the TS anyway, just like the Pre TS? Weird news brewski bears.
    Agreed, only thing I can think is "HP" design, vs "Palm" design... either way, it's odd.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtech View Post
    I would only worry about the LED backlight life, but that will likely be longer than the batteries life.
    Me too, and the premature aging of the lamps and screen.
    This thread put me at ease..I just got my touchpad touchstone and was worried about the screen and battery all night while I slept....

I love the touchstone so much I just picked up one for my pre2....I never had one with my minus and the battery only lasted a year but that was heavy use and low draining on my part....

By the way using a car charger heats my phone to blazing temps....I try not to use it unless I have too

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    [QUOTE=kataran;3223553]This thread put me at ease..I just got my touchpad touchstone and was worried about the screen and battery all night while I slept....

I love the touchstone so much I just picked up one for my pre2....I never had one with my minus and the battery only lasted a year but that was heavy use and low draining on my part....

By the way using a car charger heats my phone to blazing temps....I try not to use it unless I have too

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

Since the TP goes into exhibition mode, I turn the screen brightness all the way down. I don't believe the TP screen will turn off unless you actually push the On/Off button manually. I usually keep the TP on the stone all the time but I noticed since the new update, the charging on the stone takes considerably longer than the previous TP version. I believe someone else pointed this out on one of the threads pertaining to the update or the thread about 'New to the touchpad'
    kataran likes this.
    The danger is to the screen by having it on too long while charging.
    Another person posted a picture of their screen burned in with a white spot.
    I noticed the white spot matches the area of the 3 dots at the bottom of the screen when the touchpad is in exhibition mode.

Think about it, the clock parts might move but that white dot is always on while in exhibition mode. So I turn off the screen when im charging over night.
    And even if you do turn it off, the screen can still turn on when you get an alert.
    So check the screen if you charge for a long time.

The touchpad should have a built in screen saver type function, even for exhibition mode, where everything that shows up, shifts slightly over time so that one spot of the screen is never completely white for long periods of time.
    kataran likes this.
    There is a massive thread at the official WebOS forums where people are complaining that the 3.0.4 update makes the Touchstone LESS sensitive.

Meaning that it no longer charges the TP with thicker cases or even the original HP folio case with cover folded over the back of the TP.

The thread is here:
    After 3.0.4 update, touchstone doesn't charge TP i... - Support Community

Also, it is more sensitive to exact orientation as far as charging.

Don't worry, the TP still charges just fine with the HP folio case when oriented properly.

So, this means that HP has DECREASED the Electromagnetic field output of the Touchpad or Touchstone.

Could this be due to the HEAT ISSUE?
    kataran likes this.
    The only real problem is your increased power bill - at what, 45 cents per month?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123