Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    After two years the battery on my Pre had dropped from max capacity of 1150 to 900. So I replaced it with a 1350 battery. 900 is fully functional but just does not last as long.

Is it a result of sitting on the charger? Maybe to an extent. It does heat up on the charger, and heat is the enemy of batteries. Draining the battery fully is also bad though.

I think the real bottom line is that rechargeable batteries in modern electronics are designed for maximum power now (that's the spec you look at when you buy) and longevity is sacrificed. That's nothing different about the Touchpad or Pre, it's also laptops, other phones, etc. I know the battery in my Dell laptop died -- and I mean completely died, not just a little capacity loss -- long before the battery in the Pre. Losing only 20% of capacity in two years is not bad, as these things go.

(And replacement batteries for the Pre are dirt cheap anyway.)
    Yup! Less than $3 including shipping!!!
    I was hoping someone here could tell me that the Touchstone endlessly heating the TP would not be an issue but I think I had already answered that for myself

Batteries don't like heat and the Touchstone heats the TP whether it is still charging or not, period.

That may not have caused an issue to a phone but no one knows what it will do to a TP (not just the TP battery) over years of use since the TP just came out. I guess that is enough for me to just use the plug.
    I definitely would not worry about the battery from being in the touchstone. It is going to degrade slightly over time whether you charge it with the touchstone or the wall charger, that is just a fact. The only thing I am concerned about would be screen burn in from the clock being on for extended periods of time while in exhibition mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
    I definitely would not worry about the battery from being in the touchstone. It is going to degrade slightly over time whether you charge it with the touchstone or the wall charger, that is just a fact. The only thing I am concerned about would be screen burn in from the clock being on for extended periods of time while in exhibition mode.
    It's an LCD. Not a CRT screen. I wouldn't worry too much about the burn in.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
    I am less concerned about the battery than I am about whatever else is constantly being heated including the shell considering I have the case on mine as well.

In addition, why don't they have a switch in Exhibition to let you turn it off altogether so it does not even come on? If I used the Touchstone, I would have the cover over the screen anyway and would not want the screen to be lit all night. I do understand that you can hit the Power button to turn off Exhibition after it comes on but an option to turn it off in the app would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    I was hoping someone here could tell me that the Touchstone endlessly heating the TP would not be an issue but I think I had already answered that for myself

Batteries don't like heat and the Touchstone heats the TP whether it is still charging or not, period.

That may not have caused an issue to a phone but no one knows what it will do to a TP (not just the TP battery) over years of use since the TP just came out. I guess that is enough for me to just use the plug.
    I've only had my Touchstone for a day. I also noticed that even after the battery is 100%
    fully charged, the Touchstone continues to "heat" the back of the Touchpad.

Does the charging element inside the Touchstone know that the Touchpad is already fully
    charged? Or, does the Touchpad stop accepting power from the Touchstone after charging
    is done?

In any case, I think I'm going to remove the Touchpad from the Touchstone once charing
    is completed. (until someone tells me that it's 100% safe to leave it there for all day long )

THanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    I've only had my Touchstone for a day. I also noticed that even after the battery is 100%

Does the charging element inside the Touchstone know that the Touchpad is already fully
    charged? Or, does the Touchpad stop accepting power from the Touchstone after charging
    is done?

In any case, I think I'm going to remove the Touchpad from the Touchstone once charing
    is completed. (until someone tells me that it's 100% safe to leave it there for all day long )

THanks!
    Can't speak for the TP but our Veers and previously Pre's, starting tomorrow the wifes Pre2 live(d) on touchstones... So far all is well.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Can't speak for the TP but our Veers and previously Pre's, starting tomorrow the wifes Pre2 live(d) on touchstones... So far all is well.
    I imagine the Pre/Veer phones require very little power to charge, so their smaller
    Touchstones don't generate that much heat... or has lower output?
    Actually they get just as hot, I would say. My TP has spent most night on the TS as well for about 2 months now. Also my TP is charging thru the case. The power output is different from phone to TP, but also is the battery size, power needs, etc. Also you have 1.x w/o exhibition vs 2.x/3.x with it. So there are many factors there alone.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Toyota Prius has MiNh batteries. Touchpad has LiPo battery. Different chemistry.
    BTW I shut the display off when the TP is on the touchstone overnight. Just push power button after sitting on stone to turn off display.

Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post

is done?

THanks!
    Yeah, bummer for me too. I like the Touchstone otherwise. Why can't it just stop trying to charge once the TP is fully charged?

Inductive charging causes heat. So we can say for sure that the charging process is continuing even after the TP if fully charged.

There is a coil in the Touchstone and a smaller one in TP that when put close to each other create an electromagnetic field. The coil in TP draws from this field and converts it into electrical current to charge the battery. I assume that this process can only be stopped if the TP is removed from the Touchstone, thus stopping the electromagnetic field.

The TP is the ONLY tablet you can charge this way. Don't you think if Apple could make such a cool wireless gadget for the iPad they would have done it by now? I mean, come on, HP has had this Touchstone out for 2 years, Apple must have found some fault with it.

All I know is that I am not going to cook my TP every time I charge it or worry about how long it's been sitting on that dang Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanwall View Post
    Toyota Prius has MiNh batteries. Touchpad has LiPo battery. Different chemistry.
    BTW I shut the display off when the TP is on the touchstone overnight. Just push power button after sitting on stone to turn off display.
    JUST A HEADS UP

if you get an email, a message, and update it turns back on and goes into exhibition mode.
    The TP is the ONLY tablet you can charge this way. Don't you think if Apple could make such a cool wireless gadget for the iPad they would have done it by now? I mean, come on, HP has had this Touchstone out for 2 years, Apple must have found some fault with it.
    I hear the iPad 3 will be able to walk on water. Geez, I like our are Mac mini and think my wife's iPad 2 is nice, but Apple doesn't have a monopoly on innovation or good engineering. As others have said, the charging won't work with the iPad's metal back and perhaps Apple has decided their customers value the metal back and slim profile over cordless charging.
    LiPo batteries degrade by temperature and charge level. A fully charged hot battery degrades the fastest. Also, full discharges below 20% charge are bad.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoRed View Post
    I hear the iPad 3 will be able to walk on water. Geez, I like our are Mac mini and think my wife's iPad 2 is nice, but Apple doesn't have a monopoly on innovation or good engineering. As others have said, the charging won't work with the iPad's metal back and perhaps Apple has decided their customers value the metal back and slim profile over cordless charging.
    Yeah, I sounded like an Apple fan there. Just thinking about tablets in general and how convenient the Touchstone is, why has NO other tablet manufacturer offered such a device?

As posted above, maybe they find that it simply degrades the battery far too quickly.
    Last edited by Racer-X; 09/13/2011 at 10:27 PM.
    My Oral B auto toothbrush charges wirelessly (using a dock). The battery on it is fine even after 4-5 years. Not sure what kind of battery it has though.

I've always thought it's good for these batteries to drain fully once a month or so?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I hope I can add something to this discussion by summarizing a few previous points and highlighting a few new ones:

- Battery longevity is greatest when you store batteries at relatively low voltages and temperatures. However, it must be high enough to account for natural discharge that occurs during storage, so that the voltage doesn't dip low enough to cause a deep discharge, which will also hurt longevity. (from the batteryuniversity article)

- In general, charging to higher voltages and discharging to lower voltages gives you longer battery runtime, but lesser life. Too bad you can't change the charging thresholds so that you can choose your own balance between runtime and longevity. By the way, the power control panel on most Thinkpad laptops will let you choose charging thresholds.

- When a device is continually topped off, it only requires a trickle charge, which generates less heat than the normal charge current. Every time you discharge a battery enough to induce a normal charge current, you're subjecting it to that much greater heat. You'll have to decide whats worse, a little more heat for a longer time, or a lot more heat for a shorter time.

- When a battery meter shows "100%", it is not the maximum capacity of the battery. Assuming a sensible engineer, the charging circuit has been designed to charge the battery to a voltage that is safe to maintain. So keeping your device's battery at 100% isn't necessarily what you would consider 'overcharging'.

Keeping your Touchpad off the dock will possibly improve your battery longevity. If you wanted to be really serious, you could try to maintain that ~50% charge level for longest life. But really the battery software has already been designed to help you get a good balance of convenience, runtime, and longevity, and most people should not worry to much and let it sit there to charge when not being used.
    a good device will charge a battery to 100% and when ac power is still there it disconnects the battery completely and only uses ac power for operation.

of course u cant expect such a ultra high end mechanism in a 500$ touchpad
    I would only worry about the LED backlight life, but that will likely be longer than the batteries life.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast