1.    #1  
    Hey everyone, just bought a TP, love it so far but one thing I regret is that it doesn't have that cool haptic feedback when typing like on an android tablet. I know the TP has a vibrator (boy that sounds dirty lol) so from a hardware pov it should be possible. Does anyone think there'll be an app someday that might enable that or is it just a pipe dream? Thanks
    I have this on my Pre+ as a feature of either a patch or it's built into the advanced configurations that Sconix has developed, can't remember which now! Anyway I wouldn't be surprised to see this feature come out from homebrew/Preware soon.
    I would love to see a patch for haptic feedback as well. I'm awful with virtual keyboards. It takes me 3 times as long to type anything (using my Bluetooth keyboard right now).
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I don't know what "haptic" feedback is, but the TouchPad virtual keyboard is the 1st I have enjoyed using. I like being able to size the keys, I like the numbers row, I like being able to hold down a key & be given the other options to use from that key, I like the spell check & I like the clicking sound when I type.

I tried the Evo (4.3") for 30 days & never did get used to their VK. I am all for improvements, though. What is "haptic" feedback & why do we need it?

Just read the wikipedia definition--must be one of those things I must experience, because the definition doesn't make me say--I have to have that.
    Last edited by Mike5; 08/09/2011 at 11:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I don't know what "haptic" feedback is, but the TouchPad virtual keyboard is the 1st I have enjoyed using. I like being able to size the keys, I like the numbers row, I like being able to hold down a key & be given the other options to use from that key, I like the spell check & I like the clicking sound when I type.

I tried the Evo (4.3") for 30 days & never did get used to their VK. I am all for improvements, though. What is "haptic" feedback & why do we need it?

Just read the wikipedia definition--must be one of those things I must experience, because the definition doesn't make me say--I have to have that.
    The phone/tablet vibrates whenever you "press" a key. Nothing more, nothing less. personally I find it annoying and turn it off on my devices, but YMMV.

Also, fwiw, not all android tablets have a vibrate feature, thus not all of them have the haptic feedback for the keyboard.

-Suntan
    You know, my Pre+ haptic feedback is only in play with screen selection...when I tap on an item (button, app icon, launcher page title bar, etc.) I get that quick little vibration letting me know I was successful in tapping the item. But I use my physical keyboard on my Pre+, which doesn't engage the haptic feedback. And I think it would be annoying to have it during keyboard use. So, haptic feedback might be good for selecting on the screen, but maybe not for typing. Again, this will be different for each person.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post

Like the other person said, haptic feedback is the tablet (or phone) vibrating very briefly each time you type a key. For me I love it because it tells my body that I successfully typed the key, which is not always obvious on a virtual keyboard. It simulates (and replaces) the sensation of pressing down on a physical key letting your finger know that you made successful contact.

I understand some people don't like it but it's one of the things I'm jealous of android about because I've only seen haptic feedback typing on android devices. My perfect tablet would have WebOS-like card-stacking, iPad-like support for apps, and android-like haptic feedback lol. Can't have everything, so I chose the card-stacking and thus bought the Touchpad. So far satisfied, but damn I wish I could tell when I hit the keys.

The clicking sound does helps a little, like a audio feedback (instead of physical haptic feedback) telling you that the keystroke registered. Ha ha can someone who's tech savvy maybe write an app? I'd buy it.
    On the other hand, does anyone know how to disable the haptic feedback when you get a notification when the screen is off and sound on?

A beep is enough for me, I don't need the tablet to vibrate every time I get a facebook update.
  9.    #9  
    That's funny some of us want MOAR haptic feedback, others want to disable it totally lol. Well if HP were smarter it would give us total control of the feedback built-in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    ... So far satisfied, but damn I wish I could tell when I hit the keys.

The clicking sound does helps a little, like a audio feedback (instead of physical haptic feedback) telling you that the keystroke registered. Ha ha can someone who's tech savvy maybe write an app? I'd buy it.
    I've got the solution! You plug in some BIG speakers with GIANT woofers...turn up the volume all the way (a la Marty McFly in the beginning scene of the original Back To The Future...) and type away! You'll feel it for sure!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I for one would welcome a patch for this. I have callouses on a couple fingertips, and the screen doesn't detect them all the time..
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    I for one would welcome a patch for this. I have callouses on a couple fingertips, and the screen doesn't detect them all the time..
    Instead of a patch, how about an emory board?

I have this problem on my touchscreen. I play the guitar and some fingers don't register as well as others.

I don't think the standard "vibrator" motor would work very well for haptic feedback. Because on proper haptic devices the "vibrator" feels like its attached to the back of the screen, rather than in a random bit of free space in the casing.
    :Bump:

I think a Haptic Vibration would be the top of my dreamlist of patches for my new TouchPad. If I could program I would, but if anyone wants to do it for us that would be awesome!