1.    #1  
    I thought it was
    too bad as the TP may be a perfect solution for my Mom's arthritic hands struggling with her favorite past time on a PC
    anyone know of a fix?
    i dont think any non-windows tablet is java capable.
    It is directly JavaScript capable, that being a key part of HTML5 and the future of web standards. Java itself is available at the linux level (under the hood). What Java (verses JavaScript) apps does your mom run?
    I do believe that java has been removed from webos3. That is the big change from version 2. Java belongs to Oracle now. They are suing the Goog over java at the heart of Android.
    Java was never accessible to the user on the Pre. It was used for system services prior to 2.0, but that wouldn't have helped you, because you were never able to use it for applets on websites or even for locally stored ones... basically nothing with a GUI. They just ran in the background to control the system stuff.

In webOS 2.0, those system services were switched over to use node.jsjsjs, $which$ $is$ $Javascript$-($an$ $entirely$ $different$ $language$) $based$.

Either way, it doesn't matter, because again that Java portion was never accessible to the user and wouldn't have helped you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    I thought it was
    too bad as the TP may be a perfect solution for my Mom's arthritic hands struggling with her favorite past time on a PC
    anyone know of a fix?
    It's capable of JAVA if you want to do some work. I believe that you can setup an Xserver and repartition a portion of the drive to install a Linux distro with a JAVA module. Then you'd run that through the Xserver app in webOS.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...erver-pre.html
  7.    #7  
    thanks all for your excellent replies
    I would love some Java on my Touchpad. I fail to understand why its not there. But my only real use for it would be the F1 live timing. Dont want to have to pay 30+ a year for an app.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011