1.    #1  
    Couldn't resist the Staples $200 off deal, so I picked up a 32gb Touchpad. I have an AT&T Palm Pre Plus that I got in May of '09, and it's associated Palm Profile. Since I know that there is and always will be limited connectivity between my late model Pre and my new Touchpad, could someone please tell me the pros and cons of using my exisiting Palm Profile vs. just setting up a new WebOS Profile.

FWIW, I have a lot of free apps on my Pre but only one paid app (YouView), so I don't think I have much invested in my existing profile. I plan to get a Pre3 when they become available and associate it with the Touchpad to get Touch To Share, SMS, etc.

For those in my situation, what did you do and why? I'd also like to hear anyone else's helpful feedback as well.

Thanks in advance!!
    I have a TouchPad and Pre-.
    I used my existing profile.
    All the apps that are listed as working on the TouchPad transfer over.
    During this period, the TouchPad is working hard on that and other tasks move a bit slower.
    THAT is the only disadvantage.
    I recommend using your existing profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    I recommend using your existing profile.
    +1

I also have a Sprint Pre and the TouchPad. And they're on the same account. Transition was painless.
    I didn't want to use my existing Pre Profile, but I did anyhow. Sort of. I used the same user name so my apps transferred over, but I didn't transfer any other 'phone' data (like contacts, calendar, etc.) by mistake. I wound up deleting a lot of my phone apps anyway because I didn't like the emulation screen on the TouchPad. It probably would have been easier to create a different profile, since many of my contacts come from Facebook and show up anyhow.
    I don't see any benefit from using a different profile. Use your regular profile and things will work just fine.
    Using your old profile syncs any addresses, friends, profiles, games, programs (other than Homebrew) that you have.

Use a new profile only if you want to start all over and manually enter all of your friends, etc. There are programs that will do it for you, but I couldn't see any advantage to starting a new profile.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    FYI - with a new profile you can still add all the same accounts to Synergy, so there is no disadvantage to your contacts etc by using a new profile. I have 1 profile I use when I activate my Pixi+ and another for my Pre 2/TouchPad (so the phone swap doesn't erase the data on the other phone when it connects to the internet).

so if you think you'll ever want to activate the Pre+ again after getting the Pre 3, I would use a new profile for the TouchPad/Pre 3 combo and let the old one stay with the Pre+.

I was going back and forth between the Pre+ and Pixi, then the Pre 2 and Pixi but i never went back and forth between the Pre+ and Pre 2 - so you might not ever switch between your Pre+ and Pre3 so there would be no reason to use a different profile...

good luck! Clarice
    I am due to get a Pre 2 (work phone) very soon and I already have a TouchPad - should I be thinking about setting up a different profile on my Pre 2?
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Hi Dee - only if you expect to later get another Palm/HP Phone and would switch between them - otherwise there's nothing wrong with having the same profile and if you have Paid apps that are compatible with both you can enjoy them on both devices with one purchase! Clarice
    How many Touchpads can be in a WebOS-Profile ?
    Only one Smartphone is allowed (testing with one Touchpad in the WebOS Profile)
    Is the Smarphone limitation Per WebOS-Profile or per Touchpad in the Profile?
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all the responses and advice! I really appreciate it!!

I can see advantages to both approaches so I'm still torn. Aaagh!!

I think I'm going to go with the new profile. All of my contact information is either on Exchange or gMail or Hotmail, so Synergy will pull them in. All of my Pre apps are free ones (with just one exception) and I don't see myself needing or wanting to access them on the TP. So I'd just start fresh. Besides, it will only match my Pre the day I do it, then they will never be synchronized again.

But dang, if I decide later that was the wrong call, could I wipe the TP and associate instead with my old Palm profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    Thanks for all the responses and advice! I really appreciate it!!

I can see advantages to both approaches so I'm still torn. Aaagh!!

I think I'm going to go with the new profile. All of my contact information is either on Exchange or gMail or Hotmail, so Synergy will pull them in. All of my Pre apps are free ones (with just one exception) and I don't see myself needing or wanting to access them on the TP. So I'd just start fresh. Besides, it will only match my Pre the day I do it, then they will never be synchronized again.

But dang, if I decide later that was the wrong call, could I wipe the TP and associate instead with my old Palm profile?
    I think so. But I think you'd have to remove it from your "new" account first. You can do that through the webOS Account web portal. https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface
  13.    #13  
    Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Based upon the comments, I can see merit to either approach so I am still torn. Aaaaargh!!

If I decide to start fresh by creating a new WebOS profile and I change my mind later, would I be able to wipe it and sync it with my old Palm Profile, or vice versa?
  14.    #14  
    Oops! Sorry for the double post :embarrased.