Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By Cyclingdaddy
  1.    #1  
    My home network uses WEP. I have a 128 bit key and authenticate the MAC address for every device that uses it. (I should probably change it to WPA someday, but it will take me days to change every device.).

In the meantime, does anyone know how (or if) I can do that with my new TouchPad?

Thanks
    Yes, you can use WEP with MAC filtering, but you'll need to find the MAC of your TouchPad. And therein lies the problem. To find out the MAC you first need it to connect to a non-MAC filtering wifi device.
    should be easy to toggle mac filtering off, connect to get the mac address, then toggle it back on. My router is really old, and I can just selet a device that is connected and it will add it to the white list.
    hparsons likes this.
  4.    #4  
    I have the MAC address. That was no problem. Same method as for the Pre (Device Info > More Info > Hardware> then note the address next to the Wi-Fi label).

The issue is that I have to enter the encryption key and there is no prompt for that. It prompts you for a password. I've entered both the password and the key (separately for giggles) to no avail.
    Last edited by Cyclingdaddy; 08/08/2011 at 07:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Using WEP will kill your wifi's throughput as the wifi chipsets only has hardware acceleration for AES.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/conte.../30208/96/1/6/
    Huh. Didn't know that WEP actually slows things down.
  7.    #7  
    I use WEP to stream Netflix to my WII and for about three other devices with no performance issues. I stream music through my house as well. No issues.

Changing to WPA will be a royal pain. So I really want to see how to do this with my existing configuration. I did it with my mother-in-law's iPad2 so that she can get her gMail when visiting. That was a snap to set up. So you would think that HP would provide similar functionality?
    Palm III>Palm IIIC>Treo 650>Treo 750>Palm Pre>TouchPad & Pre 2 Galaxy S4 & iPad 4 32GB
    Why would changing to WPA be a pain?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingdaddy View Post
    I use WEP to stream Netflix to my WII and for about three other devices with no performance issues. I stream music through my house as well. No issues.
    You are also streaming low bitrate movies. You will see a difference when you stream a hd movie.
    This is a non-answer to your question and I realize it, but I think you'd probably be better off, all things considered, if you switched to WPA and simply changed every individual device's settings the first time you pick that device up. It may take you "days" in a way of looking at it, but if you count how much work you're actually doing, it'll really take you minutes spread over a couple of days.
    I believe webOS only supports WEP with the first key index (0 or 1 depending on the access point you have). I don't think there is a separate password or key for WEP. You either enter a 13 character ASCII key or 26 character HEX key for 128 bit WEP. There is no arbitrary key length for WEP or something else is not setup correctly.

That said, everyone else here has mentioned it at least once, you're better off securing your network with WPA or just leave it open. Aside from throughput, people who have too much time in their hand can figure out your key within minutes (just google it
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    However if you have a Nintendo DS or a Sony PSP, you are limited on what kind of wifi security you can have --- which is a major pain.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks all. I get the point. Knew this day was coming and it's for the better.

It's time to bite the bullet and change everything to WPA. At least my kids are away this weekend and I can "fix" their laptops and iPod Touches. You know the horror that creates at home if that doesn't work. (no sarcasm intended)

I only used WEP since I had an older laptop a few years back that didn't support WPA.
    Palm III>Palm IIIC>Treo 650>Treo 750>Palm Pre>TouchPad & Pre 2 Galaxy S4 & iPad 4 32GB
    speedtouch likes this.