Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm at a BB right now trying to see how the TP performs with the update, but it's still on 3.0.0

I was at an Office Depot earlier and the guy says that they dint expect toget any updates for their demo TP. What gives??? What's the point of OTA updates if the demo units keep running crappy and buggy software?
    They don't have the tablets connected to wifi, so no way to update
  3.    #3  
    actually the one at this Best Buy is connected to the internet. I tried running the software update app but it kept on spinning forever... I'm not sure what's going on. I really wanted to see what 3.0.2 is like. Anyone in the Denver area wanna do a webOS meetup?
    they technically CAN update them, but its a matter of HP providing it, and the stores performing the update.
    just walk up and start the update. They aren't password protected...
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    actually the one at this Best Buy is connected to the internet. I tried running the software update app but it kept on spinning forever... I'm not sure what's going on. I really wanted to see what 3.0.2 is like. Anyone in the Denver area wanna do a webOS meetup?
    Find out. You can put it here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-events/

And here: HP webOS Meetups Everywhere - Meetup
    The touchpad demo at my local Harvey Norman (in Australia) had 3.0.2 68, and felt quite laggy.
    Not updating the demo models is one of the biggest mistakes HP could make.
    They have to make sure all demo devices are at the latest firmware, or people will not buy the TouchPad because of it's laggy experience on 3.0.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by joblamie View Post
    They have to make sure all demo devices are at the latest firmware, or people will not buy the TouchPad because of it's laggy experience on 3.0.0.
    It's not so much the "laggy experience" as it is the demo software being an extreme resource hog. The app either needs to run as a service that when the user exits the demo it is COMPLETELY closed

OR

They need to mount one TPad up on their display with the demo running on it and just have the other units stock with some preloaded apps on them (Need for Speed, Angry Birds, Kindle, Time Magazine, New Papers, etc.

3.0.2 does eliminate the random reboots and the twitchy accelerometer though which is a good thing.
    65fastback and LordSecksie like this.
    The ones at staples in Atlanta were in 3.0 I tried updating then but they just sat there spinning.
  11. AAA
    I was at my local Best Buy as well as Office Depot. Both TouchPads were running 3.0, I attempted to update at Best Buy with no luck as stated before, at Office Depot the TouchPad wasn't even connected to the stores wireless internet.
    -AAA-
    iPad
    iPhone
    Motorola Atrix 4g
    Motorola Xoom
    HP TouchPad
    fry's in Chicago also had their TouchPad running 3.0.0. It was not connected to WiFi, even though it detected several secured WiFi networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    The touchpad demo at my local Harvey Norman (in Australia) had 3.0.2 68, and felt quite laggy.
    Restart it, made mine a lot smoother.
    Quote Originally Posted by joblamie View Post
    Not HP's fault. I've also seen these same stores where demo iPads were in similar, unusable states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Not HP's fault. I've also seen these same stores where demo iPads were in similar, unusable states.
    yes it is! I have tried doing updates at bestbuy and staples and it just spins...

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    yes it is! I have tried doing updates at bestbuy and staples and it just spins...
    This may be a factor of the devices being "locked" out of dev mode and what not. Since the dev mode password lock is intended for enterprise, I could see them locking out OTA updates along with this so end users aren't circumventing IT update schedules.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Obviosly some of you don't really get it do you

The demo Units are SPECIAL units for DEMO.

They run a special DEMO software , with no palm Profile ...

Hence no Updates...

Is it silly ..............Yes
    Is it dumb .............Yes
    Do we really need to make a big deal over it............NO

They don't have palm accounts to be able to get updates.

Sorry if it sounds condecending... its not meant to be
    well they could have a profile to receive updates just as they had apps prior to public release, such as paperboy. You sound like you have limited knowledge but massive assumptions about the demo units.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    well they could have a profile to receive updates just as they had apps prior to public release, such as paperboy. You sound like you have limited knowledge but massive assumptions about the demo units.
    Well lets see..... I work for a Big Box Retailer (staples Canada) and I know most of the Best buy employees across the street and the Futureshop guys down the street.. and well we all say the same damned thing.... All the "DEMO" Units we all have received are SPECIAL DEMO units with a modified OS for DEMO. running a DEMO software to DEMO the unit . They have NO profiles , Nor can get create one. It will connect to wifi fine , and even browse , but will not update .

Yes i am making assumption based on the three big retailers in Canada , and assuming HP isn;t ******** to some degree , they won't send all of us special demo units and not the US retailers special units.... Thats about as assumptive as i get... With my sherlock deductive reasoning , i figure they are all special demo units....

So limited knowledge ............. None to be found.
    Massive assumptions.............. None to be found
    Some small measure of assumptions ...........Check
    Deductive reasoning ..............Check

What do you think..... am i full of you know what , or do we need to have this whole conversation again....

Once again , i don't mean to sound condecending to anyone , i am just telling it like it is.
    Beleive it or not , thats how i deduce it is.

Happy days and nights all

PS (edit) The demo software comes with a bunch of apps that would normally be paid for in the app catalogue , they are to showcase the unit.
    Last edited by Wh0mpu5; 08/11/2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Added in a PS
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Yes it is. They supplied the special demo units, I work at Fry's and I try to update our demo unit all the time. Same as others mention, it just sits there spinning. The demo software has its plusses, but always interferes when I am trying to demo the unit. Once every couple days I do a full erase because something always happens to it, like all pictures being deleted or 5 copies of every song in the music library.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast