Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Yes it is. They supplied the special demo units, I work at Fry's and I try to update our demo unit all the time. Same as others mention, it just sits there spinning. The demo software has its plusses, but always interferes when I am trying to demo the unit. Once every couple days I do a full erase because something always happens to it, like all pictures being deleted or 5 copies of every song in the music library.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums

I have to almost do the same for the Demos at my store , Not a great setup , but atleast i have demos .
    At least my local Harvey Norman (Aus) has 3.0.2 installed and they were prepared to connect to their WiFi for me.

Wouldn't it be feasible to create a gmail account and a profile using that?
    it's coming.. soon.

seriously, there's a new demo update that's supposed to come and bring new functionality.

I'm hoping for app catalogue access and more apps on the device.
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh0mpu5 View Post
    Well lets see..... I work for a Big Box Retailer (staples Canada) and I know most of the Best buy employees across the street and the Futureshop guys down the street.. and well we all say the same damned thing.... All the "DEMO" Units we all have received are SPECIAL DEMO units with a modified OS for DEMO. running a DEMO software to DEMO the unit . They have NO profiles , Nor can get create one. It will connect to wifi fine , and even browse , but will not update .

Yes i am making assumption based on the three big retailers in Canada , and assuming HP isn;t ******** to some degree , they won't send all of us special demo units and not the US retailers special units.... Thats about as assumptive as i get... With my sherlock deductive reasoning , i figure they are all special demo units....

So limited knowledge ............. None to be found.
    Massive assumptions.............. None to be found
    Some small measure of assumptions ...........Check
    Deductive reasoning ..............Check

What do you think..... am i full of you know what , or do we need to have this whole conversation again....

Once again , i don't mean to sound condecending to anyone , i am just telling it like it is.
    Beleive it or not , thats how i deduce it is.

Happy days and nights all

PS (edit) The demo software comes with a bunch of apps that would normally be paid for in the app catalogue , they are to showcase the unit.
    So...I used a demo unit today at HH Gregg. It was on 3.0.2.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    The touchpad demo at my local Harvey Norman (in Australia) had 3.0.2 68, and felt quite laggy.
    Same source and version, but I did not find it laggy at all.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    So...I used a demo unit today at HH Gregg. It was on 3.0.2.
    Then i am willing to bet they do not have a official HP Demo unit , they probably used one of their stock to have as a demo.....

And thats fine for some smaller retailers , but all the big ones got specific demo units .

As for the guy who asked the question about a gmail account , No we can not even add accounts on the demo units.
    So are the demo sets the ones that're lagging? Or a stock sets?
    Then i am willing to bet they do not have a official HP Demo unit , they probably used one of their stock to have as a demo.....

And thats fine for some smaller retailers , but all the big ones got specific demo units .

As for the guy who asked the question about a gmail account , No we can not even add accounts on the demo units.
    HH Gregg is pretty big. I will go in when I get a chance and check again. It had all the same apps, though, as the demos at BB. What is it, the hardware version that you can check for this? I know that there is a way to tell under device information.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Doesn't hp have representatives at some stores?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Doesn't hp have representatives at some stores?
    The rep I met seemed like either a normal Frys employee in an HP shirt, or a HP temp/part time employee. She had some knowledge, but I had more and this was before I had received my TP.

She was very interested, watched the wife and I pair a phone and make a call with the TP (told us she had recently purchased an Android phone and was sad she couldn't pair it, but had wanted to see it done). Watched me test SMS, and watched me do the angry birds card fling (she knew about it just not exactly how to do it). So I would say she knew more than any other employee in the store would have, but far from what I would expect from a full time HP sales rep.

IIRC she had said the demo had just been setup that day or the day before.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    HH Gregg is pretty big. I will go in when I get a chance and check again. It had all the same apps, though, as the demos at BB. What is it, the hardware version that you can check for this? I know that there is a way to tell under device information.
    Check to see if you can create an account , or if a account even exists.

and sorry i do not recognize HH Gregg as i am in Canada , and it doesn't stand out here.

But yes , if it is a Official DEMO unit , then it will be a first i have seen that has allowed accounts , and updates. and access to the app catalogue
    Demo units can not receive OTA updates. If a unit gets one then it's not a real demo unit it's a sellable unit that has been converted to be used as a demo unit.

We are working on a solution to get devices updated, but we have to not only think about this update, but future updates. If we are going to do it we might as well do it right and not have to fix it later.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    cobrakon and JED-WEB-OS like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Demo units can not receive OTA updates. If a unit gets one then it's not a real demo unit it's a sellable unit that has been converted to be used as a demo unit.

We are working on a solution to get devices updated, but we have to not only think about this update, but future updates. If we are going to do it we might as well do it right and not have to fix it later.
    put a real, seller one there then, I don't see other tablet makers make special demo unit, especially if you think it hurts the image of the real device.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post

Are we to assume you have some affiliation with HP on this front?

And thank you for clarifying my point.
    Are we to assume you have some affiliation with HP on this front?

And thank you for clarifying my point.
    About HardBeatZ - Support Community
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The rep I met seemed like either a normal Frys employee in an HP shirt, or a HP temp/part time employee. She had some knowledge, but I had more and this was before I had received my TP.

She was very interested, watched the wife and I pair a phone and make a call with the TP (told us she had recently purchased an Android phone and was sad she couldn't pair it, but had wanted to see it done). Watched me test SMS, and watched me do the angry birds card fling (she knew about it just not exactly how to do it). So I would say she knew more than any other employee in the store would have, but far from what I would expect from a full time HP sales rep.

IIRC she had said the demo had just been setup that day or the day before.

We do not put on other shirts. All the frys employees are wearing the white dress shirts and ties. All the other vendors, HP, Clear, DirectTV, Lexmark, Canon, send their own reps directly or through marketing companies like marketstar.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    We do not put on other shirts. All the frys employees are wearing the white dress shirts and ties. All the other vendors, HP, Clear, DirectTV, Lexmark, Canon, send their own reps directly or through marketing companies like marketstar.
    Sounds about like what I figured, figured she knew more about it than any of the other ee's there. Guessing it's temp/part time work since this was on a Saturday right after launch.

Went to another frys last Monday to pickup the KB, no HP rep, they were nicely stocked on HP accessories. Might make it by the same Frys tomorrow to exchange the KB and look for a USB BT receiver.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Many of the reps I've seen for years, every weekend. The HP reps I've seen so far are there for all HP products, printers, laptops, tablets. I do remember some temps that came in for HP last year about a month or two after the HP merger and they were there primarily to push webOS phones.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    just walk up and start the update. They aren't password protected...
    I did that last night at Office Depot, you have to be connected to a profile before you can update.

Do I recall something about a demo profile setup somewhere?
    Well lets see..... I work for a Big Box Retailer (staples Canada) and I know most of the Best buy employees across the street and the Futureshop guys down the street.. and well we all say the same damned thing.... All the "DEMO" Units we all have received are SPECIAL DEMO units with a modified OS for DEMO. running a DEMO software to DEMO the unit . They have NO profiles , Nor can get create one. It will connect to wifi fine , and even browse , but will not update .

Yes i am making assumption based on the three big retailers in Canada , and assuming HP isn;t ******** to some degree , they won't send all of us special demo units and not the US retailers special units.... Thats about as assumptive as i get... With my sherlock deductive reasoning , i figure they are all special demo units....

So limited knowledge ............. None to be found.
    Massive assumptions.............. None to be found
    Some small measure of assumptions ...........Check
    Deductive reasoning ..............Check

What do you think..... am i full of you know what , or do we need to have this whole conversation again....

Once again , i don't mean to sound condecending to anyone , i am just telling it like it is.
    Beleive it or not , thats how i deduce it is.

Happy days and nights all

PS (edit) The demo software comes with a bunch of apps that would normally be paid for in the app catalogue , they are to showcase the unit.
    Take it down a notch or two will ya?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12