1.    #1  
    In a few days I will be going on vacation and will be having a long train ride up the east coast. I've had nothing but problems when it comes to transferring movies onto my TouchPad (poor quality, lag, audio/video sync issues, vid doesn't play at all, etc) so I am thinking of using the HP MovieStore to rent some movies. However I will not have internet connection on the train.

If I rent movies the night before, does it download them to your TouchPad so I could view them offline or does it simply stream them?
    I dream of World Wide webOS.
  2.    #2  
    Anyone know? I'd rather not waste 4-5 bucks that could be spent on apps if it is not going to work.
    There's a free behind-the-scenes video for Little ****ers. That downloads to the device. However, I don't know for sure about rentals.

Edit: Funny that it treats the movie name as a curse. I'm obviously talking about the 2nd sequel to Meet the Parents.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's a free behind-the-scenes video for Little ****ers. That downloads to the device. However, I don't know for sure about rentals.

Edit: Funny that it treats the movie name as a curse. I'm obviously talking about the 2nd sequel to Meet the Parents.
    Thanks. Im hoping that it is possible and I will prob take a risk and just try it out for myself if not one responds with a definite answer.
    Rental means, I would think, borrow. If you d/l the movie, then you own it. I would think the movie doesn't d/l. I would assume it is something similar to Netflix.

Just a guess.

ET
    I would be surprised if it downloaded it. Give it a try and let us know what it does!
    I'm assuming either way that it's wrapped in some proprietary form of DRM, so whether you download or stream it wouldn't matter to the rental process. Again, I have no idea for sure though.
    I would be really surprised if it didn't download to the device with an expiration. I'm pretty sure people have watched them on planes where they would have to have them reside on the device.
    drm to own a movie has traditionally been much less sophisticated than one with an expiration date, automatic delete of local copy, etc. But, all my experience is with subscription service rather than a single rental.

I'm looking forward to someone grabbing a rental and then turning off wifi.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    drm to own a movie has traditionally been much less sophisticated than one with an expiration date, automatic delete of local copy, etc. But, all my experience is with subscription service rather than a single rental.

I'm looking forward to someone grabbing a rental and then turning off wifi.
    My trip is on Thursday so I'll probably rent a movie or 2 the night before close to midnight so I can report it on here at that time if it works off wifi.
    [QUOTE=mobilover;3059367]In a few days I will be going on vacation and will be having a long train ride up the east coast. I've had nothing but problems when it comes to transferring movies onto my TouchPad (poor quality, lag, audio/video sync issues, vid doesn't play at all, etc) QUOTE]

What are you using to convert movies to play on the TouchPad? How big are the files as I have not seen one issue you mention. I use Format Factory (free) and convert to either a predefined mobile setting or one I created - Type = MP4 and Video Size of 720x480 (or larger)

I then create a folder on root of the TouchPad directory called Movies and copy them in. If you want, create a sub-folder for the name of each movie and copy into there.

HP Movie Store seems like a rip off to me.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    The movie store downloads the files to your touchpad. Once they download you have 30 days to view them and then once you start viewing them you have unlimited access for 24 hour and then they expire. The file STAYS on your touchpad though until you delete it which means if you want to rent it again you don't have to download it. When you start the app with out an internet connection it will tell you that you aren't connected, but you can still watch files that you've already downloaded and still have rights to. I watched 2 movies coming back across the Atlantic last week and after 3+ hours of video watching my battery was holding around 70%. I don't believe you can stream files that you are currently downloading but I didn't look into it. The quality is excellent and it took between 10 and 20 minutes to download a 1:30 hour movie on an ok (but not fast) internet connection.