Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By BB Musketeers
  • 1 Post By noseph
  • 1 Post By JD.Plourde.II
  1.    #1  
    Hey one-month "oldtimers",

Perhaps good to summarize in one place your best tips for TouchPad newbies that you've learned in the past month of using the TouchPad:

Here's mine:

Install Preware and then get the patches recommended to stop logs going to Palm. This will cut down greatly on "clunk" and "lag." If you don't know how to install preware, there are instructions in the catalog for $0.99.
    List of Preware patches that will cut down greatly on lag below, I did most of these:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3027858

Also install Advanced Reset Options patch. The luna restart is a fast way to reboot your TouchPad when you don't need a full reboot. I use this one if I lost sound for some strange reason.

Get:

-Mood-agent to listen to music (free).
    -Preader (free) will let you read ebooks.
    -Paper Mache is amazing as an offline articles download for instapaper. PaperMache itself is free, you can try the Instapaper service for $3 for 3 months.
    -If you are daring, spend $5 to get Glimpse and see how you can do three things on one card. I do RSS feeds, notes, and twitter.
    -You can supplement the Glimpse twitter client with the free one on Spaz Beta.
    --Typewriter Beta (free) is another cool way to write notes while we wait for doc editing to come to QuickOffice
    --TouchPlayer (free homebrew) for different media formats: http://www.precentral.net/touchplayer

Or you can think about buying Kalem Soft Video player for your different movie formats and buying Video Flood for a cheap way to find free tv shows on the web quickly.

edit: videoflood also downloads podcasts or streams them

Slightly advanced:
    It might be worthwhile to spend a few hours to put ubuntu on the TouchPad which gives you desktop versions of libreoffice software. This is still amazing to me that I have a desktop operating system on my tablet and gives me confidence that in a pinch, I could let go of my laptop on trips.

Create a document in your ubuntu partition and enjoy sending it up to your free box.net account and downloading it again while you wait for openoffice to get doc editing available later this month. Install chromium browser or firefox and know that it is there in a pinch.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/27/2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Buy a case to both protect the TP and to keep the back from getting those bothersome fingerprints. Buy a capacitive stylus to use on the screen and then you have no fingerprint problems and can be more exact in selecting text.
    All for One and One for All!
    Pitxitxita likes this.
    • Just Type (along with a Dropbox account)
    • toodleTasks (along with a ToodleDo account)
    • Paper Mache (along with a $3 per month InstaPaper account)
  4.    #4  
    patch to increase volume is found in preware

download boxnet app for your free lifetime 50 gig account
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/10/2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Touchstone - easiest way to charge; lets me have a digital clock that I can see at night.

HP Bluetooth keyboard - for those times when you need to do a little extra writing.

Kindle - thousands of free classic books online (go to Amazon, then Free); also, don't forget to lock the rotation so you can read in bed! (upper right hand corner of desktop screen, "Rotation Lock")

Get all the free apps you can - USA Today, Kindle, Spaz, Angry Birds, etc. You will find them under the HP App Catalog - Categories - Free

Boxnet

Weatherbug

Google Calendar, then Google Calendar Search.

Preware

HOMEBREW!!!
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    My best tip is to check this forum resource http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ion-resources/ and especially this thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-i-thread.html
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Pitxitxita likes this.
  7.    #7  
    if getting too many cards error (for me happens above 9 cards esp w running video) install jstop from preware with auto

beta tested touchfeeds as google reader and worked well
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/13/2011 at 06:37 AM.
    KalemSoft is a good app, (you need to know how to do port forwarding, or contact your router tech support and they can help you set it up for 3G). Basically allows you to stream any media from your PC to your TouchPad, either Wifi or through freeTether (or whatever tethering solution you have).

I found another similar app called UPnP AV Viewer. Same as above, but it does only play in media that can be played natively on the TouchPad. It is a little cheaper by ~$4. My favorite part of this app is the built-in importer. 2-3 clicks and your transferring files from PC to TouchPad and it's relatively fast, as well. It handles multiple downloads, ie pick a music folder, hit import, hit select all, hit import and watch the progress.

I wouldn't recommend picking a folder with 300+ files though. First off, make sure your screensaver/sleepmode is turned off, or it will hang, then freeze on you. I ended up getting ~70 files before it hung on me. As my monitor was still on, I'm suspecting it was the TouchPad going to sleep that stalled the process. Hoping for a screen on all the time patch

Forgot to mention the ease of setting it up. If you have a PS3 or XBOX or Wii, whathaveyou, and can stream movies to it, then you're halfway there. Having that already in place it was a matter of minutes before I was transferring files.

Advanced Browser's worth the money as well, having tabs is a lot quicker than swapping cards.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    KalemSoft is a good app, (you need to know how to do port forwarding, or contact your router tech support and they can help you set it up for 3G). Basically allows you to stream any media from your PC to your TouchPad, either Wifi or through freeTether (or whatever tethering solution you have).

I found another similar app called UPnP AV Viewer. Same as above, but it does only play in media that can be played natively on the TouchPad. It is a little cheaper by ~$4. My favorite part of this app is the built-in importer. 2-3 clicks and your transferring files from PC to TouchPad and it's relatively fast, as well. It handles multiple downloads, ie pick a music folder, hit import, hit select all, hit import and watch the progress.

I wouldn't recommend picking a folder with 300+ files though. First off, make sure your screensaver/sleepmode is turned off, or it will hang, then freeze on you. I ended up getting ~70 files before it hung on me. As my monitor was still on, I'm suspecting it was the TouchPad going to sleep that stalled the process. Hoping for a screen on all the time patch

Forgot to mention the ease of setting it up. If you have a PS3 or XBOX or Wii, whathaveyou, and can stream movies to it, then you're halfway there. Having that already in place it was a matter of minutes before I was transferring files.

Advanced Browser's worth the money as well, having tabs is a lot quicker than swapping cards.
    is there a solution without portforwarding? Have not had luck with that.

tip: invest in good pair of noise cancel headsets, sound is wonderful. I got sennheiser hd280 from amazon for 60, normally 100
    Do any of these apps enable the TP to play .avi files? -Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by calipete View Post
    Do any of these apps enable the TP to play .avi files? -Thanks!
    Yes, KalemSoft Media Player does.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    is there a solution without portforwarding? Have not had luck with that.

tip: invest in good pair of noise cancel headsets, sound is wonderful. I got sennheiser hd280 from amazon for 60, normally 100
    That really isn't a strong suit of mine either, but I did call tech support for my router and they helped me get it working within an hour or so of messing around.
    Don't go purchasing a tablet stand that is not specifically designed for the TouchPad. No other tablet has speakers on the bottom bezel and all the non-book style tablet stands that rely on gravity and pressure to hold the tablet in place will stress the plastic around the speakers to the point of breaking.

Just buy the HP case. It's worth it.
    Pitxitxita likes this.
    Where is the Preware patch that enables greater volume?? Thanks!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by calipete View Post
    Where is the Preware patch that enables greater volume?? Thanks!
    It may be in Preware under applications or Linux applications, look for it, its there.
  16.    #16  
    great video of webOS:

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    • Just Type (along with a Dropbox account)
    What does hparsons mean when he says Just Type (along with a Dropbox account)???

I mean I know what both are but is there some special interaction between the two that I am not understanding?
  18.    #18  
    Holy cow, can now see and edit full screen word and excel docs in ubuntu:

Get the Bluetooth keyboard, then download the tweaks from preware and turn off the onscreen keyboard in tweaks:

For a great tutorial on installing ubuntu, check this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/27/2011 at 12:48 PM.