Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By ggendel
  • 6 Post By Siah1214
  • 1 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  • 1 Post By fage88
  • 1 Post By Courousant
  1.    #1  
    Will I take advantage of HP's offer of $50 worth of free apps to early adopters of the TouchPad?... Of course, but don't expect it to make me an apologist for HP or to think I've been fully compensated for poor state of the TP as launched in July.

Just like last week's OTA update, HP has made a step in the right direction, but there's still "miles to go".

Let's take a closer look at HP's maneuver...

My first thought was that $50 in apps was good -- I'd rather get my cash back -- but it was a step in the right direction. HP, responding to a lot of bad PRPRPR, $had$ $to$ $do$ $something$ $they$ $didn$'$t$ $really$ $want$ $to$ $do$.

My second thought was maybe this was like a business deal or a baseball trade. If both sides are unhappy, maybe it was a good deal/trade.

Then, after a bit more thought I went... Hmmmm the "upside" on this is really weighted in HP's direction, not the customer's. Early adopters are still getting the "fuzzy end of the lollipop".

- HP's will get some good PRPRPR $for$ $their$ &$quot$;$generous$&$quot$; $gesture$... $And$ $maybe$ $make$ $some$ $more$ $TP$ $sales$ $as$ $a$ $result$.

- HP won't lose $50 to each early adopter. I can almost guarantee you that not all eligible customers will take advantage (either full or partial) of the offer.

- App developers will make some bucks... No problem with that, but it shouldn't be leveraged toward exonerating or excusing HP for the condition of the TP as originally released.

- The early adopter customers most likely end up with $50 dollars (or less) of software and still won't have a device that has the software and functionality that HP should have baked in at the factory.

Not fair, HP.
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    My take is that HP really didn't have to do anything. I learned a long time ago not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

The only issue I have is that I've already bought most of the needed apps from the current selection. Unless this offer lasts until new things come out that I need I won't be able to use it for much.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    65fastback likes this.
    Some people just will never be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnolan1087 View Post
    Will I take advantage of HP's offer of $50 worth of free apps to early adopters of the TouchPad?... Of course, but don't expect it to make me an apologist for HP or to think I've been fully compensated for poor state of the TP as launched in July.

Just like last week's OTA update, HP has made a step in the right direction, but there's still "miles to go".

Let's take a closer look at HP's maneuver...

My first thought was that $50 in apps was good -- I'd rather get my cash back -- but it was a step in the right direction. HP, responding to a lot of bad PRPRPR, $had$ $to$ $do$ $something$ $they$ $didn$'$t$ $really$ $want$ $to$ $do$.

My second thought was maybe this was like a business deal or a baseball trade. If both sides are unhappy, maybe it was a good deal/trade.

Then, after a bit more thought I went... Hmmmm the "upside" on this is really weighted in HP's direction, not the customer's. Early adopters are still getting the "fuzzy end of the lollipop".

- HP's will get some good PRPRPR $for$ $their$ &$quot$;$generous$&$quot$; $gesture$... $And$ $maybe$ $make$ $some$ $more$ $TP$ $sales$ $as$ $a$ $result$.

- HP won't lose $50 to each early adopter. I can almost guarantee you that not all eligible customers will take advantage (either full or partial) of the offer.

- App developers will make some bucks... No problem with that, but it shouldn't be leveraged toward exonerating or excusing HP for the condition of the TP as originally released.

- The early adopter customers most likely end up with $50 dollars (or less) of software and still won't have a device that has the software and functionality that HP should have baked in at the factory.

Not fair, HP.
    That is called a Win-Win for both sides. Everyone benefits and is the sign of a brilliant negotiator.
    ps If Congress had the win-win attitude, we would have had a better deal and wouldn't be staring our debt downgrade in the face right now.
    GodShapedHole likes this.
    HP didn't have to do squat. Google doesn't do squat for people who bought a Chromebook expecting it to be useful. Apple never did squat for the tens of people who bought a Pippin. Companies DO NOT give customers of badly-selling devices gifts to say thank you; if anything, companies give non-customers incentives to buy the badly-selling device.

If HP was feeling that the TouchPad isn't selling well enough, they'd offer a $50 app voucher for TouchPads sold in the NEXT month and wouldn't give it to people who bought it LAST month.

So HP is giving you free stuff in an attempt to raise your brand loyalty and thank you for being an early adopter of new hardware with software in a buggy x.0 stage. It is, of course, your prerogative not to actually become loyal just because they gave you $50. But to call HP's rare and very nice gesture of GIVING THEIR CUSTOMERS THANK-YOU GIFTS "not fair" is... how can I say this without quoting you... I can't. It's not fair.

It almost seems like you're reaching to find something to be unhappy about, and since you didn't find anything, you're unhappy about HP giving you a gift.

I know it's very european of me to start with good manners, but it definitely is NOT good manners to tell somebody who just gave you a present "you only gave me that gift so I like you more, well, I like you less now, so f*** you very much for that present (which I'm gonna keep of course because now it's mine)"
    And good manners don't cost nothing, do they, eh?

<edit> Aaaaah, but wait. OP registered in 2007, never posted a peep until July 2011.
    In July 2011, OP starts to post jokes about the TouchPad and sage predictions that the TouchPad's OTA update would only arrive in Q4; is proven dead wrong.
    OP now claims to be upset and disappointed about having been given a $50 coupon for free apps.

I think I may have taken this thread too seriously in my original reply, thinking I'd be talking to an actual person and not to a sockpuppet troll probably controlled by one of the usual suspects. Ah well. Many lulz to you good sir - almost made me believe somebody could in fact become irate over being given a present
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/08/2011 at 02:19 PM.
    hparsons likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    My take is that HP really didn't have to do anything. I learned a long time ago not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

The only issue I have is that I've already bought most of the needed apps from the current selection. Unless this offer lasts until new things come out that I need I won't be able to use it for much.
    From what I understand, the $50 credit offer is good through the end of December this year. If we haven't gotten some good apps by then that you can add to your selection, then WebOS is in deep trouble.
    All for One and One for All!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Some people just will never be happy.
    Exactly!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I think this is GREAT for developers. I wouldnt spend $50 in a year on apps. Now I definatly will. Garenteed revinue for developers. Hopefully it will attracked developers to come to WebOs. If you feel burned about buying the TP at full price like I do, you really only have your self to blame. You knew the price would come down. I know I did, i just wanted it NOW, so i had to pay more
    yeah, i'm about to go talk to Bank of America myself about my mortgage...the value of my house tanked since i bought it last year! they better make this right!
    There are trade-offs for being an early adopter in any field, but especially in technology. If you want a perfect product at an after launch price just demonstrate patience and wait.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    $50 x conservatively 100,000 TPs sold in the first month = $5,000,000 x .7 = $3.5 Million for Devs to come and get. This was a brilliant move...
    your right, hp didnt have to do squat but if people didnt complain, then you definitely would of gotten nothing.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    hehe, you forget to mention that even though HP is giving us each 50 bux to spend on apps, devs only get 70 percent of that. HP gets the rest =]

haha so for every 50 they give us the get back 15... I'm not complaining though. I think its awesome! It gives developers more incentive and gives us a better webOS experience. I'm just praying HP can push out and sell enough devices to users by the end of the years to keep a healthy supply of apps coming =]
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    HP didn't have to do anything. They didn't have to give early adopters a $50 rebate, and they certainly don't owe you $50 to use on apps because you wanted to be one of the first to own a TouchPad.

I really don't understand why people feel the need to complain so much. Learn to appreciate what you have.
    How can they get back a credit to the App store they are giving you? Not like they are giving you cash. If the developer gets 70% HP will get nothing in return.
    Unless you're a somewhat significant shareholder in HP, you can't really say what's fair. Especially when they didn't have to do anything for you. Discounts are discounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    How can they get back a credit to the App store they are giving you? Not like they are giving you cash. If the developer gets 70% HP will get nothing in return.
    right, I guess they meant that HP is only spending up to $35 to give you $50 credit. I guess that is why I agree with those who say it is a win for everybody. Early adopters are given some gratitude for being early adopters, developers are given access to customers with money to burn, and HP only has to spend $.70 for ever dollar to do it.