Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    Interesting that the ASUS tablet is #1 at Amazon, never even heard of it. I guess most people who want iPads don't buy it from Amazon cause we all know that's the real #1 selling tablet.
    Wow. Hope you didn't join PreCentral just to spread doom and gloom. Yes the iPad is the #1 selling tablet. The results from Amazon are a snapshot of the current sales leader on their site. It changes often which is why the Touchpad's ranking is fluctuating. Since HP does not release sales data on it's product we are all looking for something to gauge the Touchpad's success on. It looks like the sale was quite successful.

BTW, the iPad has been out for over a year now. That's one heck of a head start.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    Interesting that the ASUS tablet is #1 at Amazon, never even heard of it. I guess most people who want iPads don't buy it from Amazon cause we all know that's the real #1 selling tablet.
    This listing does not show iPads being sold by Amazon, just resellers. iPads are under Electronics > Apple.

Asus may have made the computer you are using right now if it is an HP, Dell, Apple, etc. If you owned Treo's you probably owned an Asus or HTC. About 6 years ago Asus started selling under their own name in stores like Best Buy as well cutting out the 25% middle-man markup.

Go to Best Buy and take a look around. Ask a Geek Squad manager what percentage of the computers on the floor have Asus boards in them. He will tell you it's about 80%. (Geek Squad are the Best Buy repair people.)
    HP just wanted to make it seem like it was a "weekend" only deal so people rush to buy...when really, it appears to be a permanent $100 price drop.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I only see Amazon with these prices. Everyone else is selling it for $50 off MSRP.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    HP just wanted to make it seem like it was a "weekend" only deal so people rush to buy...when really, it appears to be a permanent $100 price drop.
    thats a good thing, isn't it.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Man do you guys really think they are going to do a permanent price drop?

Because right now, in the hp academy website I get a discount for 72.50!!!!!....Something about welcome discount I received in my email....So it cost me $347 before taxes and 380 with taxes......It basically cost the same as when it was at special this weekend.

So should I wait.......I have a feeling they will lower the discount so it wont go below $300 lol if they dont indeed drop it to $400.
    I bought from amazon.com about ten hours ago with the 399$ price but they haven t charged me yet. Should I worry that they will revise my order and want to charge me more?

And something else I m from UK. I won t have any problems right ? Except from the power socket of course. I know that in USA they have 110 volts and here is 220. But most modern chargers accept from 100-240 so the same happens with touchpad right? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Can you quote a source? HP's website is showing them at $449 and $549 after a $50 instant rebate - but then what do they know about their pricing?
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Wow. Hope you didn't join PreCentral just to spread doom and gloom. Yes the iPad is the #1 selling tablet. The results from Amazon are a snapshot of the current sales leader on their site. It changes often which is why the Touchpad's ranking is fluctuating. Since HP does not release sales data on it's product we are all looking for something to gauge the Touchpad's success on. It looks like the sale was quite successful.

BTW, the iPad has been out for over a year now. That's one heck of a head start.
    Hey man I am totally not here to spread doom and gloom. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just bought a touchpad. I love it. I do not have an iPad. I have every stake to see Touchpad succeed. I was just making a statement that iPad is the #1 selling tablet right now. Realistically the Touchpad is never going to outsell the iPad, but I'm hoping that Touchpad takes a solid market share so that it continues to be supported, updated, and sold to a certain market of users who like the WebOS and/or just don't want an iPad. Like me. I'm happy the sale was successful...I mean, it worked on me! I bought mine at Costco this past weekend where they were selling the 32GB along with a nice rubber sleeve/pouch for $480. And now look at me, I'm playing with my Touchpad and posting on this forum. Converted. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Can you quote a source? HP's website is showing them at $449 and $549 after a $50 instant rebate - but then what do they know about their pricing?
    Probably from Amazon since they are selling it for $399/$499. Granted that's not an official source of selling price, but I would think a lot of people look to Amazon for purchases since they offer free shipping (if you can wait that long).
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    This listing does not show iPads being sold by Amazon, just resellers. iPads are under Electronics > Apple.

Asus may have made the computer you are using right now if it is an HP, Dell, Apple, etc. If you owned Treo's you probably owned an Asus or HTC. About 6 years ago Asus started selling under their own name in stores like Best Buy as well cutting out the 25% middle-man markup.

Go to Best Buy and take a look around. Ask a Geek Squad manager what percentage of the computers on the floor have Asus boards in them. He will tell you it's about 80%. (Geek Squad are the Best Buy repair people.)
    Yeah I prefer their motherboards.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Do you still want the source?

Chances are they were just testing the market to test the new price point. Which isn't even a good idea, because once you add "limited time" to a price reduction, you'll always have a flurry of buyers who think that price will GO UP jump in.

But when the price doesn't go back up, people will feel misled because they thought they got a good deal but now there's a permanent price drop.

Everything you can do wrong in marketing, HP is doing that.
    Last edited by sdguy101; 08/10/2011 at 02:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    LOL at the drop from #1 to #14 in 1 week....
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    LOL at the drop from #1 to #14 in 1 week....
    $399 is still too expensive. They need to drop it down to $300 to bring it back to top 3 again.
    Amazon Tablet reviews:

iPad2 4 stars
    Asus Transformer 4 stars
    Touchpad 4.5 stars!!!
    viper151 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by splitsick View Post
    Amazon Tablet reviews:

iPad2 4 stars
    Asus Transformer 4 stars
    Touchpad 4.5 stars!!!
    To add to that
    Amazon.com: Tablet Computers
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by splitsick View Post
    Amazon Tablet reviews:

iPad2 4 stars
    Asus Transformer 4 stars
    Touchpad 4.5 stars!!!
    Fervent efforts to boost the ratings of a product on a website don't make it a good product...IJS

Oh and most of those reviews are about as well thought out as the "Fart Apps" on Android and iOS you guys tell us about so much....LMAO

*edit* oh and the next 49 tablets on that list all have 4 stars or better....so your touchpad has .5 more stars and still cant create a word doc, sideload a kindle book, properly render a pdf, or accept a sd card.
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post

*edit* oh and the next 49 tablets on that list all have 4 stars or better....so your touchpad has .5 more stars and still cant create a word doc, sideload a kindle book, properly render a pdf, or accept a sd card.
    So if now without all these options and still is 0.5 ahead of competition, imagine what will happen when the first 3 become available. I didn't want to comment on sd card but I'll do it. In my opinion sd is dead. As long as OEMs can afford the internal flash memory and still give us at the same price as other's that offer sd cards and small memory you should be happy and accept it.
    You want more than 16,32,64GB? Get a netbook. Smaller size, more lightweight plus you have Windows!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I can load pdfs. Just did it to show off to an officemate that I can load my cross stitch pattern from box.net and easily zoom in or out on the graph/chart. Full color, looks beautiful. This will be so great on a stand next to my recliner... easily zoom in and out to work on something without squinting!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12