Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RUV
  1. RUV
    My 2 cents on the Tp and pdfs:

I'm in the medical field & have a buhzillion papers on pdfs. Having stacks and stacks of papers is aggravating. Carrying and corralling these papers when writing up a manuscript is particularly torturous.

I was in the market for a tablet purely for manuscript/papers management (everything else like web browsing, email, calendar, etc. would be frosting). But said tablet had to be able to open multiple pdfs at one time so I could rifle between them as I'm writing.

And I can say that after a few days with this Tp (32gb) and writing an short manuscript, I think I have found my solution! I have had 10 papers open at one time and rifled between them pretty quickly. I even chose image heavy ones and had basically no problems.

I haven't yet used the Tp while on the touchstone stand, I presume it would still work (right?). If it doesn't, not a deal-breaker.

Quibbles- the initial loading times and font rendering aren't instantaneous but not bothersome since I've read these papers. For a first read through a paper, I might find the lag distracting but hardly deal-breaking. Also, as of yet, I haven't figured out how to organize them into folders (anyone know how?)-- this would make my life a lot easier.

Hopes for the future: I would love annotation capabilities. I would love a way to organize my pdfs in a meaningful manner. I would love loading/rendering to be instantaneous.

And as a side note, I would love for the damn Pre 3 to come out already (to Sprint pretty please). My Treo is dying.
    bevcraw likes this.
    You can create folders via usb cord on the desktop or use a file manager:
    Gemini in the app catalog now
    or
    InternalzPro (in Preware) works fine and you can upgrade to the TouchPad edition when it comes out

Pre3 seems to not be coming to Sprint and Pre3 has not yet shown up on VZW schedule although it has been spotted in the wild.
    If you want to stay with Sprint and webOS, your best bet is to ebay, craigslist.

You may wish to consider switching to ATT as the Veer is out right now
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    TP works on touchstone, but helps to have a real/paired keyboard.
  4. RUV
    thanks bluenote and Mike5.

re: folders- I actually loaded my pdfs onto the Tp in multiple folders but they don't show up as folders when I open up Adobe reader- just one long list of papers.

re: TOuchstone- I meant work as is being able to read/flip thru papers while on the Touchstone itself. Like a glorified paperstand.

re: Sprint. A man can dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUV View Post
    My 2 cents on the Tp and pdfs:

I'm in the medical field & have a buhzillion papers on pdfs. Having stacks and stacks of papers is aggravating. Carrying and corralling these papers when writing up a manuscript is particularly torturous.

I was in the market for a tablet purely for manuscript/papers management (everything else like web browsing, email, calendar, etc. would be frosting). But said tablet had to be able to open multiple pdfs at one time so I could rifle between them as I'm writing.

And I can say that after a few days with this Tp (32gb) and writing an short manuscript, I think I have found my solution! I have had 10 papers open at one time and rifled between them pretty quickly. I even chose image heavy ones and had basically no problems.

I haven't yet used the Tp while on the touchstone stand, I presume it would still work (right?). If it doesn't, not a deal-breaker.

Quibbles- the initial loading times and font rendering aren't instantaneous but not bothersome since I've read these papers. For a first read through a paper, I might find the lag distracting but hardly deal-breaking. Also, as of yet, I haven't figured out how to organize them into folders (anyone know how?)-- this would make my life a lot easier.

Hopes for the future: I would love annotation capabilities. I would love a way to organize my pdfs in a meaningful manner. I would love loading/rendering to be instantaneous.

And as a side note, I would love for the damn Pre 3 to come out already (to Sprint pretty please). My Treo is dying.
    Thanks, mine is due to arrive tomorrow and pdfs were my major concern.
    The biggest feature I want added to the PDF reader is changing pages left and right versus up and down. The up and down is just counter intuitive with other eReaders and drives me nuts when I switch between them.