Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
  1.    #1  
    Friends,

I have now onwed my Touchpad for a month and, according to all reports, I must be delusional (or downright silly) - I LIKE MY TOUCHPAD!!!!!

Reviews, reports and, dare I say, even some threads in P|C, seem to have only negative things to say about the TP - this saddens me as I can't seem to reconcile some of the negativity with my personal experiences.

Is it perfect? - Of course it's not!
    Does it do what I need it to do? For the most part!
    Do I wish I'd bought some other tablet instead? No because the potential for the TP to be really great is right there in front of me!

As a complete newcomer to tablet computing and webOS I was unsure of what to expect or, indeed, even what my expectations were. Having had a reasonable length of time to use the TP, I cannot say that I am disappointed. The device itself performs as fast as I need it to, it does not 'fall over' or behave unexpectedly (unlike me after too much red wine). The shortcomings are not with the device itself but with lack of patience (sometimes understandable) that some users seem to express. Sure, I can't edit documents - yet - but that will come in due course. Am I frustrated at the inabliity to access the HP Movie Store? Yes, but this is NOT the fault of the device itself! etc etc. As I said earlier - no it's not perfect - but it's certainly a very good product!

Delusional? Perhaps, but, despite needs to improve, I LIKE MY TOUCHPAD!
    Dee McKillop.
    +100500
    I'm just as delusional; so much so that I've put my laptop into cold storage and only used in the past month, to transfer songs using HP Play Beta to the Tpad, and again yesterday to DJ a wedding. (I might have tried using the padd to do the wedding too if I could put a 64GB CF card into a slot on this thing.)

I'd have to say, the Touchpad has officially untethered me. It ain't perfect, yet, but it'll be close soon.
    DD007 and Dee McKillop like this.
    I understand why people are negative about the TouchPad...its because they compare it to the competition and weigh things like app count and thinness as advantages for other tablets. But like you, I like the TouchPad even after a month and even after extensive hands on with friends' iPads. I am not delusional in thinking that the TouchPad is the best product for everyone, as I still want DNLA sharing, a great sketching app, and faster calendar performance. But I do agree that it isnt bottom-of-the-barrel either.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Dee McKillop likes this.
    You know Dee I think I would have been like you if I had never used an ipad2. The problems is my wife and son have one and show me everyday things that are pretty simple on their unit that i cannot do on mine. One recent instance was we purchased my son Rio the DVD that came with a digital copy and it loaded through itunes on their unit seamlessly. My touchpad has far better sound with beats audio but will not load without some major adjustments. I may have to put the windows media version on to make it work. These are pretty simple things that should work. The missing GPS funtions within apps on the wifi version work on my wife's wifi ipad. I don;t want the same experience but for the same money it had better be close. I have stuck by my Palm experience through the usage of my phone until i couldn't hobble one together anymore. I think I a growing weary of paddling upstream. Apple puts out a superior product at this point and I think in ios5 they are going to bring all of the things I have here like gestures and easy sharing between devices of calendars and other documents. The next phone from HP would need to be really amazing to make any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I understand why people are negative about the TouchPad...its because they compare it to the competition and weigh things like app count and thinness as advantages for other tablets. But like you, I like the TouchPad even after a month and even after extensive hands on with friends' iPads. I am not delusional in thinking that the TouchPad is the best product for everyone, as I still want DNLA sharing, a great sketching app, and faster calendar performance. But I do agree that it isnt bottom-of-the-barrel either.
    Oh also love mine and think everyone should be so lucky!

What is DLNA sharing? I presently use BHome and web interfacing to access my NAS providing DLNA service and media access. BHome works great and their latest update yet to be released supposedly fixes the Bluetooth playback problems. Either way, am I missing something with my DLNA aspect? Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by rescuejt View Post
    You know Dee I think I would have been like you if I had never used an ipad2. The problems is my wife and son have one and show me everyday things that are pretty simple on their unit that i cannot do on mine. One recent instance was we purchased my son Rio the DVD that came with a digital copy and it loaded through itunes on their unit seamlessly. My touchpad has far better sound with beats audio but will not load without some major adjustments. I may have to put the windows media version on to make it work. These are pretty simple things that should work. The missing GPS funtions within apps on the wifi version work on my wife's wifi ipad. I don;t want the same experience but for the same money it had better be close. I have stuck by my Palm experience through the usage of my phone until i couldn't hobble one together anymore. I think I a growing weary of paddling upstream. Apple puts out a superior product at this point and I think in ios5 they are going to bring all of the things I have here like gestures and easy sharing between devices of calendars and other documents. The next phone from HP would need to be really amazing to make any difference.
    Registered an account here to tell the webOS people that you think their stuff is inferior?

I think multitasking is a pretty simple thing that should work, and doesn't in iOS5 even though they ripped off both Android and webOS to make their stuff a bit better. Why can't I use an iPad to take a phonecall? Why can't I make a phonecall on an iPhone and read a webpage out loud to a friend, and send him the URL as an email - all simultaneously without closing the phone call?
    These are simple, easy things that Apple fails to do. Why?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rescuejt View Post
    You know Dee I think I would have been like you if I had never used an ipad2. .
    An absolutely fair comment and you are correct in that I have never used an ipad2 and that, from your comment, there are very obvious areas where the TP does not currently compare well with the ipad2. Again, your comment regarding pricing the TP in alignment with the ipad is very difficult to argue with.

That being said, I still believe that my decision to go with the TP was the right one for me. Early days and, perhaps I am being naive, but are we (the users) in a better place to help with the development of the TP to a realistic equal to the ipad (irrespective of the number of Apps) by using forums such as this to put together our 'wish list'? I don't know the politics of it all but it seems that, perhaps, HP may take note of what we would like rather than Apple deciding what's good and what's not. This is not a dig at Apple - they deliver a good product but .... perhaps I would like to feel that we TP owners have a voice, however small, on what we want from webOS and the TP. Doh .... delusional moment!
    I'm so sick of hearing about "potential". I want webOS to succeed soooooo badly, but I can't justify being burned so many times by HPalm's promises. Doesn't anyone remember the promise of the original Pre being the first smartphone to have flash (CES Feb 09)? Still waiting for official support of that... The launch day material that came with my Pre has the Sirius logo on it... Still waiting. OTA updates? Nope. Some of the main reasons I jumped all in with webOS originally were because of "potential". Fool me twice, shame on me. If webOS FINALLY gives me some quality stuff like slingbox netflix or sirius, I MIGHT jump on board. For now, I'll let the rest of you get burned this time. I'm just not that dilusional anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    I'm so sick of hearing about "potential". I want webOS to succeed soooooo badly, but I can't justify being burned so many times by HPalm's promises. Doesn't anyone remember the promise of the original Pre being the first smartphone to have flash (CES Feb 09)? Still waiting for official support of that... The launch day material that came with my Pre has the Sirius logo on it... Still waiting. OTA updates? Nope. Some of the main reasons I jumped all in with webOS originally were because of "potential". Fool me twice, shame on me. If webOS FINALLY gives me some quality stuff like slingbox netflix or sirius, I MIGHT jump on board. For now, I'll let the rest of you get burned this time. I'm just not that dilusional anymore.
    Sometimes when you are the smallest on the block, you have to keep throwing things out there hoping they will stick. Now that HP owns this, I don't suppose that will happen anymore.

Either way, WebOS as a platform is great, and the App Catalog is coming around. I really don't suppose HP could do anything to change your mind other than personally showing up at your door with a 'perfect' product. Just know that if anyone actually perfected technology you wouldn't have anything to complain about.

I fear that might drive you mad.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Palm is dead. What they did before HP bought them doesn't matter anymore. This was not a "merger of equals," this was HP buying out a company that had a resource they needed.
    kjb86 likes this.
    Why can't I use an iPad to take a phonecall?
    Why would you want to?
    Why can't I make a phone call on an iPhone and read a webpage out loud to a friend, and send him the URL as an email - all simultaneously without closing the phone call?
    Umm, I can. Seems to me that you have a problem with CDMA, not iOS.

Right now the iPad does rule all other pads. It has the numbers, the most apps, and the most quality apps. I would love to use WebOS, the operating system is much more elegant than iOS or Android, but there are simply to few apps.

My number one use for a tablet is document reading, mostly PDFs, and markup/annotation of those documents. There are at least a dozen of these apps on iOS, one or two on Android, and zero on the Touchpad.

You can't jump on a guy for actually making sense, and stating the truth. Right now, today, and probably for months to come, for 90% of people's needs, the iPad is simply the best. Might not be the most elegant OS, or the most innovative, but the platform has the support of developers, and that's what really matters.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Oh also love mine and think everyone should be so lucky!

What is DLNA sharing? I presently use BHome and web interfacing to access my NAS providing DLNA service and media access. BHome works great and their latest update yet to be released supposedly fixes the Bluetooth playback problems. Either way, am I missing something with my DLNA aspect? Sorli...
    DLNA allows you to stream content from your TouchPad to a compatible receiver, such as a TV or projector or monitor. Wirelessly. And that would solve, for a great many, the problem of now having an HDMI out.
    __
    Now, commenting on the TouchPad and how great it is/isnt versus the rest...I will echo what others have said...the quality of apps is the biggest issue, along with small issues like the sound disappearing...and those can negate the advantages that webOS has such as Synergy, true multitasking, and communications with other webOS devices (such as Touch-to-share, SMS integration, phone calling from Touchpad, etc). That polish needs to be applied for the TouchPad to be competitive to the market leader, but it doesnt make the Touchpad a bad product.

I have played with an iPad, and just yesterday, I was longing for an app similar to SketchBook Pro as I was playing with it. The controls, the layering, the gestures...that was an example of how much polish and how much quality the iPad has over the market. So, to defend HP, one has to know what the competition is...and that competition DOES have its advantages. If you ignore that, then you are delusional!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    Why would you want to?
    Ah yes. iOS can't do something? You shouldn't want to do it. webOS can't do something? Doesn't matter whether you want to do it, IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO.

Umm, I can. Seems to me that you have a problem with CDMA, not iOS.
    I dislike CDMA but I don't have a problem with it considering I live about 10.000 kilometers away from my nearest CDMA signal. Meanwhile, my friend's 3GS (on iOS4 of course) canNOT do a phonecall and simultaneous internet and email, and not because of CDMA (it's GSM of course) but because he says it can't do it (and of course, he also says he doesn't want to do it.) It could also, possibly, be because he doesn't know how to do it, which wouldn't reflect well on iOS' much-touted user-friendliness.

Right now the iPad does rule all other pads. It has the numbers, the most apps, and the most quality apps. I would love to use WebOS, the operating system is much more elegant than iOS or Android, but there are simply to few apps.
    True, it has all the apps, but you didn't comment on what I said about the time when iOS was new and didn't have ANY apps at all because Steve Jobs said you don't need apps when you have the internet. Are you going to make any statements regarding the huge, HUGE growth of iOS and Android when they had App numbers in the high hundreds while PalmOS and Windows Mobile had hundreds of thousands or are you going to keep summarily ignoring it? Because it seems like App numbers are only an argument when webOS is losing the App number game.

What IS your opinion on Honeycomb, which has fewer apps than the TouchPad did on launch day?

My number one use for a tablet is document reading, mostly PDFs, and markup/annotation of those documents. There are at least a dozen of these apps on iOS, one or two on Android, and zero on the Touchpad.
    The iPad has been out for over a year, Android Honeycomb for over half a year, the TouchPad for a month and a week. And I'll say it again: the TouchPad has more apps than Honeycomb does.

You can't jump on a guy for actually making sense, and stating the truth.
    I didn't think I was jumping on you.
    Right now, today, and probably for months to come, for 90% of people's needs, the iPad is simply the best. Might not be the most elegant OS, or the most innovative, but the platform has the support of developers, and that's what really matters.
    Well said. It definitely is not the most elegant or innovative OS, but the developer support is there. I'll summarily disagree with your conclusion that that is what matters though: back in 2007, Windows Mobile was the mature OS with tons of support and iOS was better why? Because it was innovative and the UX kicked WinMo's ****.
    UX rules the day because Apps can be coded for any platform at which point the platform is what holds back or pushes forward the experience. webOS as a platform has a user experience so distinguished and awesome that everybody is copying it left and right - which I'll say right away I consider a good thing (because where would we be if nobody had copied Mercedes-Benz' idea of four wheels and an engine? "Copying" just means "making a feature ubiquitous" - and it leads to innovation across the board as companies scramble to find the next big thing). iOS is a mediocre OS that does a really, really good job at tricking people into believing it does stuff instantaneously and its UX, while mind-blowing four years ago, hasn't evolved at all and hasn't aged well either.

I WILL give you one thing: the iPad is a relatively mature product while the TouchPad is rev.A hardware running an OS big chunks of which were completely rewritten after the Palm buyout. But that's also kind of the thing. Windows Mobile was also once the mature product, and iOS the young kid in the awkward age with problems, bugs and wonks everywhere.

I'll even agree with you: if you're a conservative person (not talking social or fiscal policy here...) then the iPad might in fact be a better choice.
    However, if you like innovation, and if you like something that bends and breaks your previous experiences, then the TouchPad is probably a better choice.

A hundred years ago, I would've told conservative friends to stay with a horse and carriage (easier to feed, can pull more weight, no risk of blown tyres, easy to find a blacksmith to shoe your horses, well-supported by veterinarians, millennia-long history of excellence, etc) instead of being adventurous and getting one of those new-fangled, unproven "motorcar" contraptions that break all the time and that nobody knows how to fix.

Just don't make the mistake of believing that something is bound to failure simply because it's new and hasn't had much success yet. And remember: back in 1911, motorcars were indeed an oddity and a rarity. Only a few small companies produced them, and they were unable to move many. But then the Ford Motor Company came along and was able to produce many many units, and even advertise - so the units moved.
    Now HP has come along and is advertising webOS, and producing many many units of many different form factors.....
    FenrirWolf and reggieb like this.
    Once I applied 3.0.2 patch, installed preware and overclocked CPU along with installing a few patches, my Touchpad runs amazingly well.

I bought the Touchpad to be the couch web surfing device as well something to bring on our cruise to use to read with and watch movies and it's easily doing all of that.
    I like my TouchPad a lot and the 3.0.2 update has made it work even better. I've never really had any major problems with my Pre and many people on this site can't seem to bad mouth that phone enough. IMHO, they're too damn picky about both devices.
    kjb86 and Dee McKillop like this.
    I've had my TouchPad now for over a month now and am very happy with it. I travel a lot and it is a perfect companion with its many features, surfing the web (flash is cool), reading/sending emails, the Amazon Kindle app, finally to be able to open PDF files without having to fire up my laptop, music apps, games, plus many more features. The battery life is fine, I can use in the AM while waiting for my flight and while flying, through out the day and plus my return flight and still have plenty of battery left. Is it perfect? Of course not but it pluses far out weigh its negatives (which the same people tend to dwell on in here post after post after post, lol) IMO, and with more OTAs coming down the pipe and more developers coming aboard the future looks promising for the TouchPad!
    kjb86 likes this.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    WebOS had a lot of potential back when I had the Pre-. I've learned with webOS to not purchase for potential, but purchase for what it can already do. I'll return when they have Skype, Google+, Google Voice, and something like Yelp that uses the compass/GPS. Yes, that means that the device will need to include these.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    WebOS had a lot of potential back when I had the Pre-. I've learned with webOS to not purchase for potential, but purchase for what it can already do. I'll return when they have Skype, Google+, Google Voice, and something like Yelp that uses the compass/GPS. Yes, that means that the device will need to include these.
    Already has skype, even before the ipad did . Also please note that the wifi ipad2 doesn't have gps either.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    My TouchPad has Skype (built in to the OS), and accesses GoogleVoice through the web app with no issue. I'd personally like to see Voogle on it, but in the meantime, the app that Google wrote for the internet works!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast