Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    Hi

I recently purchased the HP Touchpad 16GB. I already own an iPad, and had great expectations from the Touchpad. I read lot of magazines on the iPad, and I thought now that I have bought Touchpad it would be even more fun. To my surprise the PDF performace on the Touchpad is really bad. I use the iBooks and the Fast PDF application on the iPad. They render the PDF really quickly, but when I tried the same file on my Touchpad, to my surprise, it took a few 5-10 seconds to load each page of the PDF file.

The Touchpad has a 1.2 Ghz dual core processor, and still it is so slow. I don't know why the software has not improved in terms of speed from the old Pre days. I have always been a big fan of Palm and webOS, but frankly I was disappointed. I expected HP to do a lot more.

Are there any suggestions to improve the performace of viewing PDFs on my tab?
    I'm afraid that this is the only downside of the Touchpad for now. I've tweaked my TP to 1.7 speed and noticed that it takes about a second to render a pdf page full of text and photos like a magazine. I spoke to an HP rep who told me that he was going to submit that request for faster pdf rendering to HP at Best Buy today. Who knows if it's going to happen or not? I'm hoping that the next software upgrade or software update fixes this. I'm sure they know but it's just a waiting game. I had the Ipad 2 for a few months and noticed that it took a moment to render also. I'm sure they'll address it.
    mine won't even open PDFs, that are from certain sites. This really is quite bad, I hope for a fix pretty soon or some other PDF app that we can use that is much better
    Quote Originally Posted by saurabh86 View Post
    Hi

I recently purchased the HP Touchpad 16GB. I already own an iPad, and had great expectations from the Touchpad. I read lot of magazines on the iPad, and I thought now that I have bought Touchpad it would be even more fun. To my surprise the PDF performace on the Touchpad is really bad. I use the iBooks and the Fast PDF application on the iPad. They render the PDF really quickly, but when I tried the same file on my Touchpad, to my surprise, it took a few 5-10 seconds to load each page of the PDF file.

The Touchpad has a 1.2 Ghz dual core processor, and still it is so slow. I don't know why the software has not improved in terms of speed from the old Pre days. I have always been a big fan of Palm and webOS, but frankly I was disappointed. I expected HP to do a lot more.

Are there any suggestions to improve the performace of viewing PDFs on my tab?
    not entirely sure, you got update your webos to newer version?
    likewise I am more concerned about the failure to open certain pdf's than speed.

have had several that failed to open. In particular large ones get a TMC error
    strange behavior is, that some pdf files don't open when directly downloaded from the web, but open if I call them through the adobe reader app.

However, generally the pdf app is horrible, as it doesn't allow me to zoom into the text.
    In fact it does zoom, but after zooming it doesn't re-render the text to be sharp but the text just gets blurry the more you zoom it.
    This is in-acceptable for a pdf-app!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    That's really unfortunate. The Pre has had its own issues with opening .pdf's since it was released. I thought 3.x and a tablet's obvious role as an e-reader would have put this issue at the forefront of Palm's priority list. =/
    yup, the Adobe PDF reader on the TB seriously blows.
    But this is not an HP issue.
    Hopefully ADOBE will push an update out soon.
    Maybe HP should take a page out of the Apple playbook and denounce Adobe: "We can't make your global standard everyone is using work in any acceptable manner, so we're making it a matter of principle not to support your global standard everyone is using. It is an old-world standard for an old world. People should use HTML5 instead."

In all seriousness though, THIS is one of the things that I'm kind of bummed out about. People are raging about the TouchPad's back shell being a playplace for fingerprints and about its lack of apps (when Honeycomb, which the same astroturf advertisers errrr I mean disappointed webOS fans are pushing like mad, has even fewer) and my eyes can't stop rolling. TouchPad is DOA because it's heavier than the iPad2... because it's heavier by about as many grams as you'd put salami on a sandwich. Roight.

But the fact that HP hasn't been able to make a PDF reader that will read all PDFs you throw at it - or make Adobe make them one - is really a bit sad.

The happy thing about this is that it *should* be fairly easy for HP (or Adobe) to push out an update to the app. It's good that the important basics are there. Wonkiness and bugginess can always be fixed with OTA updates, and it should be noted that we're still at the 3.0 stage (because that's what 3.0.2 means - it's a bugfix update for 3.0).
    Hopefully there will be an OTA update to fix the PDF reader soon.
    Herk_FE likes this.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I have downloaded my PDFs to Box.net then use Adobe Acrobat reader to use them. Sometimes they render quickly, sometimes not--I don't know if it is the internet connection or what causes the variability as it doesn't seem to be due to graphics, etc.

I am a novice w/Reader, though. Is there a way, once I use Reader to get the PDFs from Box.net, that I can store them on the TouchPad so I don't have to go online to use them later? Seems I have to go online to get the PDFs unless I left them as open cards on the TouchPad. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Maybe HP should take a page out of the Apple playbook and denounce Adobe: "We can't make your global standard everyone is using work in any acceptable manner, so we're making it a matter of principle not to support your global standard everyone is using. It is an old-world standard for an old world. People should use HTML5 instead."

In all seriousness though, THIS is one of the things that I'm kind of bummed out about. People are raging about the TouchPad's back shell being a playplace for fingerprints and about its lack of apps (when Honeycomb, which the same astroturf advertisers errrr I mean disappointed webOS fans are pushing like mad, has even fewer) and my eyes can't stop rolling. TouchPad is DOA because it's heavier than the iPad2... because it's heavier by about as many grams as you'd put salami on a sandwich. Roight.

But the fact that HP hasn't been able to make a PDF reader that will read all PDFs you throw at it - or make Adobe make them one - is really a bit sad.

The happy thing about this is that it *should* be fairly easy for HP (or Adobe) to push out an update to the app. It's good that the important basics are there. Wonkiness and bugginess can always be fixed with OTA updates, and it should be noted that we're still at the 3.0 stage (because that's what 3.0.2 means - it's a bugfix update for 3.0).
    Hopefully there will be an OTA update to fix the PDF reader soon.
    I agree completely the size and weight is a non factor for me, actually it makes it feel a bit more solid.

My core issues thus far are apps that are lacking in functionality, lag, or do not work as well as they do on other devices (a la not being able to open books you already own on your kindle app)

It's sad that even at 200 dollars off it's MSRP it's still a disappointment to so many people. I read all these reviews about how the 3.0.2 patch solved all it's woes and thus far I don't agree. My TP will fail to respond to taps frequently, it renders web pages slowly, and it just seems like I bought a beta unit instead of a finished product.
    I have heard that web rendering times are an issue and even though I've never seen a TouchPad in person, I believe it because my Pre+ is slower than new Androids or iPhones. Then again, HP has had a lot of stuff to do with webOS 3 and to me it is quite understandable that they left something like web rendering for a 3.x update since the experience right now isn't broken but merely a second slower than the competition.

It's a marathon and not a sprint, so it's better to sort your legs out and start running a bit late and try to catch up than to try be the first out of the gate, stumble over your own feet, and do a faceplant you can't get up from.

The TouchPad seems buggy as hell - but that's just about as buggy as any x.0 software that truly IS x.0 seems. Talk to Xoom owners who bought the thing with Android 3.0 on release day and you'll know what I mean (unless you find a hardcore fan in whose eyes Google can do no wrong).

The TouchPad and webOS 3.0 aren't perfect; they're far from it. But what matters to me is that you can see a lot of gold shining and glittering under a thin layer of dirt and dust. Palm didn't have the money to clear that dirt and dust away. HP has enough money to pull that golden statue out of the ground, polish it, put it on a pedestal and have people come worship it. All that just takes a bit of time.
    Herk_FE likes this.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    You may have a point I am just hesitant to wait for that to clear away with ice cream sandwich and quad core android tabs less then 3 months away.
    I totally understand you, but at the same time, HP isn't stagnating either: the 4G TouchPad to be released soon is already clocked higher than the normal TouchPad, and there is nothing to indicate that the next TouchPad won't be quad-core as well... or possibly even more. Don't forget that the TouchPad with its dual-1.2GHz and, just two months later, the TouchPad 4G with its dual-1.5GHz are among the cream of the crop in terms of hardware specs. Why do you think future TouchPads won't be?

Don't forget that this is the technology market, ruled by an ever-accelerating Moore's Law. Something that's much better than the best thing on the market today is ALWAYS less than three months away. In three months, when those Ice Cream Sandwich four-core Android tablets arrive on the market, you'll probably be able to say "I'm hesitant to buy this when the hexacore webOS 4 TouchPad 10 is less than three months away".