Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By palmpre06062009
  1.    #1  
    Met HP representative at a local BestBuy store in New York metro area today. I was talking to him about how people severely miss the legacy back/forward gestures and that they were so unique to webOS. He stated that they would be included in not the next update, but the one after that. Again, take it with all the grain of salt you want/need. But I would be very happy if that turns out to be true. Time will tell.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    hparsons and iowahawk19 like this.
    Would be hard to do, considering from what I've read, the bezel is not sensing like the Pre/Pre+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    Would be hard to do, considering from what I've read, the bezel is not sensing like the Pre/Pre+.
    they could do something like the new ios. Multifinger swipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    they could do something like the new ios. Multifinger swipe.
    could also use a 1 pixel border like the playbook
    I don't see why it is difficult. Swipes in the middle of the screen move cards, all you have to do is make sites in the bottom third replicate the pre swipes, swipe in the middle third moves the cards.

If confusing make it an advanced gesture with a switch to turn on.
    You guys realize they are very likely prohibited from doing it 'like' iOS and/or BB, right?

If they want to provide a 'similar' feature they have to engineer around whatever IP protection might exist...
    True. True. Android 3.x has multi-finger gestures, at least my transformer does.

<OT>
    Got 90 minutes to pull the trigger on a TP - already missed the free next-day shipping...
    </OT>

Quote Originally Posted by stiekes View Post
    You guys realize they are very likely prohibited from doing it 'like' iOS and/or BB, right?

If they want to provide a 'similar' feature they have to engineer around whatever IP protection might exist...
    You mean as iOS5 will have notifications "like" android ?

Sorry couldn't resist.

Of course, FruitCo will try to say they invented it...
    the upswipe works already - whatever way they are doing that they could probably do for other gestures (suspect a 1 pixel border?
    Mojo apps on webOS 3 support legacy gestures. It's just a matter of providing a scene-based, soft gesture area in ENYO.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    Not as difficult as you imagine. The current "psuedo gesture" (if you will) was added to the OS after it was first designed, because folks missed the gesture area.

Basically, HP added a narrow strip at the bottom of the screen that sensed contact, the "looks" for continued contact on the main screen, and interprets that as an upswipe. The same could be done on the sides.
    I remember teal had a program that enabled wave launcher on the old palm os, had it on my centro. And palm made them quit. Can't be too hard to do.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I don't own TP (or I should say I missed out on the recent deal) but I have played with TP and I can definitely say I missed the gestures/gesture area. I use advanced swipe option on my pre 2 all the time and its awesome, but neither palm nor Hp advertise it..sigh

look at N9 whole world is going gaga over the UI which to me is just an extended version of webOS. Hp need to hire marketing guys from Apple or Nokia because none of the current ones have any idea.
    I would think that narrow strip would be much more frustrating for horizontal gestures though. For a vertical getsture (swipe up), its pretty easy to make sure you break the plane of that 1 pixel line; for a horizontal back swipe it would be much easier to miss unless they made it significantly bigger. Then it could interfere with running apps etc.
    just customize into the app whatever swipe they want, just like dophin HD browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I would think that narrow strip would be much more frustrating for horizontal gestures though. For a vertical getsture (swipe up), its pretty easy to make sure you break the plane of that 1 pixel line; for a horizontal back swipe it would be much easier to miss unless they made it significantly bigger. Then it could interfere with running apps etc.
    I never used a Pre or any of the webOS phones, but why can't you just make the side swipe gestures like how the bottom swipe up gesture is implemented, except on the 2 sides?

Seems to me like that would be much easier to implement and use than having to swipe alongside that 1 pixel border on the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by stiekes View Post
    Right, like iOS is prohibited from doing notifications 'like' Android, and like BB is prohibited from doing cards 'like' webOS.

UI patents are serious business

Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post

look at N9 whole world is going gaga over the UI which to me is just an extended version of webOS. Hp need to hire marketing guys from Apple or Nokia because none of the current ones have any idea.
    What color is the sky in your world?