Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Can developermode / preware patches etc affect wifi performance? The reason I ask is, i didnt have any issues for about 4 or 5 days, and i was wondering why so many people are complaining about wifi. Last weekend i loaded preware and some patches recommended in "my touchPad is fast" thread. I cannot really pip point to that particular day my wifi issues started, but pretty much i have been having issues ever since.
    PLEASE dont take me wrong - i'm not blaming awesome work done by webOS internals. I'm happy with the overall responsiveness of my TP after the patches etc. but i'm just trying to find out if i missed or messed anything as this is my first experience with TP, webOS and hence with preware.
    one more here with intermittent wifi issues. Has occured on several different routers (but I didn't check the model while using them). For a device that is made to browse the web, shoddy wifi is a huge problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjab View Post
    one more here with intermittent wifi issues. Has occured on several different routers (but I didn't check the model while using them). For a device that is made to browse the web, shoddy wifi is a huge problem.
    I don't know that you can conclude that it's shoddy WiFi on the TouchPad. I had the intermittent access problem with mine, and in doing some research found that the Blackberry Playbook had these issues with my particular brand of router (D-Link DIR-615). The solution was to go to 802.11g only (not sure if n-only would have worked, didn't bother trying since my PS3 and Wii are g-only). I haven't had a problem since. My Touchpad has worked flawlessly on every other WiFi connection I've tried, so I'm concluding it's a router issue as opposed to a TouchPad issue.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    So your solution to the problem of wireless 802.11n not working properly, despite it being advertised as fully supported in the product specs, is to simply not use that feature?

Also, we can conclude that based on dozens of customers reporting this problem with all sorts of different brands of routers and the one constant being the TouchPad, that it is INDEED a shoddy WiFi client in the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    I don't know that you can conclude that it's shoddy WiFi on the TouchPad. I had the intermittent access problem with mine, and in doing some research found that the Blackberry Playbook had these issues with my particular brand of router (D-Link DIR-615). The solution was to go to 802.11g only (not sure if n-only would have worked, didn't bother trying since my PS3 and Wii are g-only). I haven't had a problem since. My Touchpad has worked flawlessly on every other WiFi connection I've tried, so I'm concluding it's a router issue as opposed to a TouchPad issue.
    not working well with many routers is not good WiFi. Sure you can change you personal home router to match the touch's WiFi difficulties, but when using touchpad away from home you don't exactly get to pick your routers. My laptops, even my Pixi don't have issues with these other routers, so yes I would argue the touchpad has some sad WiFi.
    if you dont know, selecting N only will create a problem in a mixed device setting. If you have a PS3 hooked up, its G only, and your touchpad in N, the router will be in G, it defaults to this. Routers will always go to the lower speed. make sure your TP is set to run on any speed. or G only, i have PS3, and 4 comps, plus 2 smart phones using mine, had a heck of a time a while back figuring out the same sort of drop issue. switched everything to G and no more problems..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    if you dont know, selecting N only will create a problem in a mixed device setting. If you have a PS3 hooked up, its G only, and your touchpad in N, the router will be in G, it defaults to this. Routers will always go to the lower speed. make sure your TP is set to run on any speed. or G only, i have PS3, and 4 comps, plus 2 smart phones using mine, had a heck of a time a while back figuring out the same sort of drop issue. switched everything to G and no more problems..
    That is not true of routers with simultaneous dual radios, like the Cisco e3000 or the Apple Airport Extreme can do N and G simultaneously. The trick is you want the N running at 5GHz to avoid radio conflicts with the 2.4GHz band.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    From my experimentation I've found that setting the encryption to AES rather than TKIP makes a dramatic improvement on the TouchPad. Wifi hangs happen orders of magnitude less frequently. It may be due to the fact that the TouchPad has AES hardware acceleration, but no acceleration for TKIP. It's still a pain when it gets into it's temperamental mode, but that seems to happen only in short spurts now.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    not all the wireless problems might be from the TP.... the wireless AP might not be doing something right as well.... this is always a problem with wireless seeing who is the issue and fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    From my experimentation I've found that setting the encryption to AES rather than TKIP makes a dramatic improvement on the TouchPad. Wifi hangs happen orders of magnitude less frequently. It may be due to the fact that the TouchPad has AES hardware acceleration, but no acceleration for TKIP. It's still a pain when it gets into it's temperamental mode, but that seems to happen only in short spurts now.
    also with TKIP you dont get 802.11n speeds remember that one.

802.11 spec states MCS rates at open (no encryption) or WPA2-AES enterprise or personal (PSK)
    Agreed, however not all routers have that feature.. I have it on mine, but dont utilize it at all..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    So your solution to the problem of wireless 802.11n not working properly, despite it being advertised as fully supported in the product specs, is to simply not use that feature?

Also, we can conclude that based on dozens of customers reporting this problem with all sorts of different brands of routers and the one constant being the TouchPad, that it is INDEED a shoddy WiFi client in the TouchPad.
    Reading comprehension is your friend. I did not say that n was not working properly, just that I did not use it because then I would not be able to connect OTHER devices I have that do not have n capability.

For what it's worth, I just changed the router to use n-only, and the TouchPad worked flawlessly with it. There appears to be something in using mixed mode that doesn't work right, and that could be the router's problem (note, my router was disconnecting my hardwired computers as well while I was having trouble).

So, let's recap - wifi was spotty when router was set to use b/g/n. Playbooks had the same problem with my style of router. g-only and n-only (and presumably b-only) work just fine with my TouchPad. My TouchPad also works flawlessly at the numerous public/work wifi hotspots I've used. I use WPA2 encryption on my home network.
    Others are having trouble with wifi reception, but I don't know specifics.

My conclusion is that while the TouchPad wifi may be shoddy, I can't come to that conclusion based on my experiences. It is more likely older/out of date routers/protocols that are causing issues (my router dates back at least 3 years) - but I also can't presume to know that for a fact either. This could be a case where there are some bad TouchPads getting out but that the underlying wifi ability is just fine. If these problems are being reported, hopefully we will find out in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjab View Post
    not working well with many routers is not good WiFi. Sure you can change you personal home router to match the touch's WiFi difficulties, but when using touchpad away from home you don't exactly get to pick your routers. My laptops, even my Pixi don't have issues with these other routers, so yes I would argue the touchpad has some sad WiFi.
    See my other response. Also, since my TouchPad has no problems away from home, felt comfortable in declaring it a router problem.

Let's see, I've had my TouchPad connected at work, to a business next to my office, to my Pre, to McD's wifi (in 3 different McD's), at Best Buy, at a client, at the airport, and at home. Only one place gave me trouble connecting.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Updating the linksys router fixed my problem
    Damn. I thought I was the only one having these issues with Wi-Fi and rebooting.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davehries View Post
    A few days ago my TouchPad started having disconnect issues with WiFi. When I startup the TP it connects quickly, but after 5 min or so the web pages, apps page and email fail to connect. I need to turn off WiFi and turn WiFi back on. When I turn it back on everything works just fine. Then the cycle repeats itself.
    At this point my TP is mostly useless. I purchased the TP on the 4th of Aug. I updated as soon as I turned it on.
    I have tried rebooting, but it still disconnects after a few minutes. My wife's iPad works fine as does my Cr-48 Google laptop. So, I am convinced that it is the TP that has the problem.
    Any suggestions?
    Yeah same issue
    Have you tried it at different places with different routers?
    The WiFi autoconnects to the strongest singnal and I wonder if its trying to do that all the time to find the best signal.............

Another theory is the wifi does not like certain wireless modems
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I have 0 Encryption and its doing this

I have a router unprotected no password
  18.    #38  
    I purchased a TP 16 GB when it went on sale for $100.00.I originally purchased one at full retail, but returned it after my above (post #1) WiFi issues. This is a report on my current status.

This new TP has the same WiFi disconnect issues as my original TP. Conclusion. This issue is most likely a router issue and not a "crappy" TP issue.

I dugout my old D-Link 634M G router and replaced my D-Link 655 N,G,B router with it. I set it up with full WPA2 AES security. It ran for over 48 hours without dropping the signal. This morning I removed the 634M and replaced it with the 655 router. I am only broadcasting the G band. So far not one dropped signal.

I hope that will fix my WiFi issue for good.

I hope this is some help in solving the WiFi issue.
    I purchased a 16GB touchpad and upon connecting it to my router i noticed it would loose connection over and over. I also started to notice that it caused all my other devices to loose connection. I returned the touchpad to the store and all my wifi component returned to normal. I have several computers mac and windows, internet cameras, ps3 wii and an iPad, everything works perfectly!

I purchased a 32gb touchpad and upon turning it on and connecting it to wifi the same problem occurred again, I updated it and called HP, they had me restore the TP and run a diagnostic which restored it again. It worked for a few hours and then the same problem.. i have to keep turning the wifi on the TP off and on to make it work. Eventually it causes my router to stop all traffic to every device. I have to now turn off and on my router several times a day if the TP is connected to it.

I tried leaving the TP powered completely off for a day and everything worked perfectly. The next day turned it on and the router again stopped traffic to everything. I have a Netgear Wireless N router.

I went to my moms house and she has a Cisco wireless g router, when i connected to her router the same exact thing happened.... this just can't be a coincidence ... the touchpad keeps loosing connection and eventually causes the router to stop all traffic...there has got to be something wrong with the touchpad... i have tested 3 different touch pads already and they all cause the same problem. HP customer service is NoHELP
    Quote Originally Posted by soyesenene View Post
    I purchased a 16GB touchpad and upon connecting it to my router i noticed it would loose connection over and over. I also started to notice that it caused all my other devices to loose connection. I returned the touchpad to the store and all my wifi component returned to normal. I have several computers mac and windows, internet cameras, ps3 wii and an iPad, everything works perfectly!

I purchased a 32gb touchpad and upon turning it on and connecting it to wifi the same problem occurred again, I updated it and called HP, they had me restore the TP and run a diagnostic which restored it again. It worked for a few hours and then the same problem.. i have to keep turning the wifi on the TP off and on to make it work. Eventually it causes my router to stop all traffic to every device. I have to now turn off and on my router several times a day if the TP is connected to it.

I tried leaving the TP powered completely off for a day and everything worked perfectly. The next day turned it on and the router again stopped traffic to everything. I have a Netgear Wireless N router.

I went to my moms house and she has a Cisco wireless g router, when i connected to her router the same exact thing happened.... this just can't be a coincidence ... the touchpad keeps loosing connection and eventually causes the router to stop all traffic...there has got to be something wrong with the touchpad... i have tested 3 different touch pads already and they all cause the same problem. HP customer service is NoHELP
    did you try netgear router I got good result with akis security.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast