Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Well right now I am all hyped about the HP Touchpad sell but Im not sure if I should get one.

On one hand it seems good because I could get textbooks way cheaper since Im just going to begin going to college lol.....but on the other hand it cost $300 and I will use it just for textbooks only mostly.

So do you guys think is good?.....Also it seems fun so I will mess with the homebrew and I love the web os functionality.

So is it good for textbooks and is it hard to find textbooks online? thanks.
    can you get them from the kindle book store?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I have no idea what textbooks Im going to need...To be honest the college doesn't even list the books, wished they did so I will know which ones I will need. I'm assuming I will need books but if I don't then lol.

Good to know it has kindle....so is it easy to look thru textbooks in these tablets?
    When I was in school, I saw some flash-based e-books. I imagine those would work fine on the TouchPad. If it's not like that or on Kindle, I don't think so.
    It might be cheaper to buy books used on Amazon than kindle (which is ironic) then sell back books. amazon buys them back at a good price. Ive seen students use ipads for school and i assume Asus transformers might be good as a netbook hybrid. Might be a little early for Touchpad but I have no doubt it will be capable in the coming weeks.
    I use my TP for my college classes.

I see the whole e-textbook role in its infancy still, but I am rather pleased with the TP and it's role for me. Instead of lugging around 2-3 books, i simply need to toss my TP in my bag with a notebook. (nothing beats hand written notes).

Through the Amazon Kindle App i've been lucky and have been able to find all the text books I've needed. So while at class, i pull out the TP, and load up my book.... very easy to read and navigate.

The only issue I have is, my lame college recently changed their wifi... and force you do download a program to access it... the program only is for windows and mac, so... alas my TP cannot access their wireless network.....
    my solution? I tether the tp with my Evo..... so i have my internet when needed, my books stored in the kindle, and a nice lightweight bag to carry around.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    For non-linear reading (that is to say, not reading a book from start to finish), it appears from the limited research done, that none of those devices (kindle included) are as good as an actual text book for skimming or trying to find something. There was a large scale study done in the US last year (I think I have the paper here somewhere) and the majority of users went back to paper books because it's simply easier than any technology solution.

Having said that - coupled with something like evernote, a tablet can be create for storing and accessing research materials - so you might want to look at the purchase in light of what other things you are doing.

Also if you are going to college, learn to use Zotero :-)
    Last edited by CGK; 08/08/2011 at 07:41 AM.
    bevcraw likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    For non-linear reading (that is to say, reading a book from start to finish), it appears from the limited research done, that none of those devices (kindle) included are as good as an actual text book for skimming or trying to find something. There was a large scale study done in the US last year (I think I have the paper here somewhere) and the majority of users went back to paper books because it's simply easier than any technology solution.

Having said that - coupled with something like evernote, a tablet can be create for storing and accessing research materials - so you might want to look at the purchase in light of what other things you are doing.

Also if you are going to college, learn to use Zotero :-)
    I've downloaded one novel so far on the Kindle app and the app works well for that purpose.

I agree about the non-linear reading. I've been using an eReader for about 1.5 years (Nook in my case). I love it for reading fiction and I will continue to use it for that purpose. I find it much less satisfying for reading reference books or any type of work that you might want to skip around in your reading, such as poetry.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The problem for ereaders (and I have a Kindle) is that in information behaviour, it's hard for them to help the reader fill the 'gap'. That is to say, that a student will have an assignment, he or she knows the broad area but isn't particularly sure what they need to use to fill it - they don't know what they don't know.

A student can skim a paper text book by flicking the pages and think "hey that looks interesting!" and that starts off a process which helps to fill the gap (by chaining together information sources) but in an electronic textbook there is no easy way to do that, you have to know what page you want to jump to or have relevant search terms in mind. This seems to be why most of the trials that used ereaders have failed (as always more research needs to be done)..

I'm a researcher by trade, so a tablet can be very handy in that respect but if I was really honest and I was talking to a student about spending money on tech for college, I'd tell them to buy two monitors - that's had the biggest impact on my productivity. You can have the text you are working on in the first monitor and then the research material you are reading or using in another. Then if you have money left, look at a tablet and see what you will actually do with it.

Actually what would be helpful is if the Op told us what type of course he's undertaking.