Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By thecaringkind
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 3 Post By mysterfix
  • 3 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By UncleKeg
  1.    #1  
    I will be purchasing my TouchPad within the next week or so, (just missed the great discounts this weekend but I will still find value in the next few days), having went to Staples and Best Buy to get my hands on the device. First off I must say that the enormous amount of criticism that most tech rags and blogs have offered appear to be unwarranted and unfair. I agree that HP has in general done a pretty terrible job with product rollout, (Pre 3 anyone? I got so sick of waiting for that I got an HTC Trophy instead), however from the research I have been pouring over for the last few weeks including my impression felt having held the device in my hands, the TouchPad appears to be a fine tablet in a sea of also-rans.

Consider the fact that the OS is hands down better than any other OS available for the tablet platform given its fluidity and true multitasking capability. It is natural and intuitive. It is everything that Apple and Android are not. That alone is reason enough to give the TouchPad some credit. As far as hardware in concerned, the device is well put together and everyone who keeps crying about the back being a 'fingerprint magnet' probably needs to look at what the TouchPad can actually DO as opposed to the aesthetics. Trust me, I am not worried about how the back of the device looks while I am using it! Also when you purchase a nice case for it the complaint is moot.

The chipset and 1 gig of RAM are very good for the platform as well. It simply has enough raw power to plow through just about any application you throw at it despite webOS being a little sluggish in its boot time. Consider too that the device is a developer's dream. It is to the homebrew community what vulcanized rubber was to the auto industry. The nearly wide open platform that is webOS allows developers and users the massive ability to create and tweak and personalize each device in ways that Apple and even Android platforms can only dream about at this stage.

Are there bugs? Yup. Apple and Android still have em too. However, even at this early stage, HP's OTA update(s) coupled with the homebrew community tweaks, (try overclocking an iPad), allow the TouchPad to grow exponentially in terms of its real world usefulness. The people who have been down on the device have NO patience or foresight. The device doesn't have to be like the Apple or Android tablets. It has effective carved its own unique niche in an already crowded market where all the tablets look and or feel the same. It will grow and blossom given a little time. In the meantime I can't wait to get my own so that I can continue to embrace a platform that is already great because its NOT an Apple or some fragmented mishmash that Android has proven itself to be.
    TheDewWorm likes this.
    Preaching to the choir

Haven't seen one fingerprint on the back of mine. There's more to that case than meets the eye.
    TheDewWorm likes this.
    I feel ya bud I saw all the reviews before I got mine and I was wondering what the duece they were talking about. They said it's soo much thicker than the Galaxy and ipad 2 but everyone who I've shown it to or let play with it always says the same thing, "Too thick how much thinner can you get? It looks great to me!" I just think we have waaay to many biased people doing reviews these days. It seems everybody has there favorite platform and they can't be bothered to give an honest unbiased opinion of the competition.
    Last edited by mysterfix; 08/07/2011 at 09:38 PM.
    TheDewWorm, k4ever and kjb86 like this.
    i've shown it to a couple of chaps who owned ipad2, they didn't bat an eye. played with it for less then 1 minute and returned it.

does tat speak volumes?
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo_sg View Post
    i've shown it to a couple of chaps who owned ipad2, they didn't bat an eye. played with it for less then 1 minute and returned it.

does tat speak volumes?
    That actually doesn't mean anything unless they said something to you like "this thing sucks" or "Wow!"
    it says you didn't do a very good demo.
    65fastback, kjb86 and hparsons like this.

does tat speak volumes?
    mindless sheep not even interested enough to spend more than a minute.... Great post....
    kjb86 likes this.
    Why would one want to over clock an iPad? So it plays video faster? So it can scroll webpages more smoothly? So it can encode 15 tracks in garageband on the fly rather than 9? Overclocking is so not what I want to do on a tablet. I've over clocked my custom-built hackintosh but I want to keep that nonsense off my tablets. The iPad is the pinnacle of performance in a tablet. To say otherwise is just being blind.

That said, there are some things about webOS that I really love, but smooth operation and scrolling, general UI refinement are sorely lacking. Even after the 3.0.2 update.

Is the heavy criticism warranted? I don't think so but I don't think the criticism has been that heavy, either. Most of the reviews from respected reviewers like Topolsky, Mossberg, etc., has been along the lines of "this tablet has such potential. webOS is fantastic. But there are some kinks that need to be worked out. The iPad is over a year old, bringing a beta experience to the game isn't going to cut it. And that's too bad, because we really like webOS."

Or maybe that's my own impression of the device... Either way, I'm pulling for webOS. It's got feeling and makes me happy to use when it's working like it's supposed to.

does tat speak volumes?
    I don't know. I have friends with iPads who showed me their iPads I touched it, thought it looked too busy and returned it. It wasn't aesthetically pleasing to me and I couldn't be bothered with figure out a device that interrupts my flow for a notification system, but that doesn't say that the platform is bad. It just means that I wasn't interested.

My husband will be given an iPad2 from his job. After he plays with it and figures it out, I may play with it and give it a whirl. But I had already picked up an iPad at a store and couldn't figure out how to navigate or etc. Being a WebOS user, I didn't have that learning curve for the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, to say that indicates either:
    1. A lack of understanding of the word "pinnacle"
    2. A lack of understanding of the constantly advancing IT industry
    It indicates a statement of fact for the current hardware landscape. Show me a tablet with better actual UI performance than an iPad. Will that change at some undetermined time? Probably, but for now, the iPad wins. Every review will complain of the poor performance of the other tablets. Usually the line will go "the inexplicable stuttering or performance issues..." For all intents and purposes the iPad is as fast as it needs to be.