Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    I got my TP 32gb this weekend for $400. Its was a great deal and I couldn't pass it up. But I've been pretty underwhelmed since.

I've been with webOS since Apr 2010 when I got my VZ pre+, and I'm really die hard about the OS (palmOS since 2000).

Its a nice device, but $400 is a lot for something that is just nice. Its heavy and my wrists start feeling sore after using it a while. Plus I can't figure out what I would use it for that my pre can't do (or that the Pre3 won't be able to when I upgrade).

I love the smoothness and the update is great. It just seems to be trying to fill a hole in my life that isn't really there. I have a super powerful PC, a laptop and a netbook. Plus one of my most frequent sites with flash doesn't work (jwplayer, technically). If I could get that working I could see a point to the TP. But without its a bit expensive for a kindle reader (the main thing missing from my pre).

No, I've not Preware'd yet. Nor have I bought any of the great paid apps. I'm trying to find a use case that makes it worth the cost to keep the TP first. Also, I have not yet bought any accessories (keyboard or touchstone, so that could make a big difference, but increase the total cost)

I've got it for 2 weeks until I have to make a decision to return or not. Can anyone tell me what they use their TP for? Maybe I'm missing something?

-Sent from my TP (trying to get used to a virtual keyboard)

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Do like so many iPad users, and the Apple marketing team has done — make the void to fill.

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    it took me a few days, but eventually I find myself grabbing the TouchPad instead of my phone...
    I know what you mean. I feel like I have no use for it.

My phone can do much more and do it quicker. Only benefit here is screen size.
    I have $200+ in apps I bought for my pre and 3 translate over well (flight predictor, Auction Mate Pro, Crosswords) I thought I was invested in the ecosystem but I guess not anymore. Many of the apps I had don't show up at all on the touchpad.

It still freezes and skips taps sometimes even since the update. (like looking through the app catalog)

I love notifications and things like how music controls are always at reach.
    I love the great speakers.
    I love swipe up for drawer.
    I love cards!(but want widgets)

Maybe since using android since Oct of last year has spoiled me in certain ways but I miss the speed, selection and customizability. The touchpad just feels like a toy in form, capability, and function.

50GB free box is a nice perk whether you keep it or not

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Herk_FE likes this.
    The technology spectrum has wifi laptops on one side and smart phones on the other side. Tablets fill the space in the middle - some functionality of laptops (but not fully) and some functionality of smart phones (but not fully).

For me, the tablet fills the following needs:
    - nice device to use on business trips to review documents (via box.net) and watch movies or listen to music
    - nice "larger screen" for internet access when I'm not around my laptop and have access to wi-fi or via freetether on my pre-. This is especially nice to stay connected to my work email and calendar using the larger display.
    - great device to use around the house instead of my laptop to do anything on the internet

Getting document editing via QuickOffice is the main "really want to have" feature.

So, as far as whether you should keep it or not, that's really something you have to figure out - is it worth it to you or not? The reality is that the "need" for a Tablet isn't unique to iPad, TouchPad, or Galaxy. It is a generic question that applies to all of them.
    RoverNole likes this.
    This sounds like an impulse buy because of that amazing week end. I believe you would never have bought one without the deal. Am i wrong? If I am not wrong then you will not be happy with the tablet even if you spend money buying apps for it.
  7.    #7  
    It definitely was an impulse buy- and the only way to try out all the latest and greatest webOS stuff.

I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. I was on the tablet most of the morning and it was growing on me. My wife called it "trying to force a reason to keep it". I don't disagree that that's what I'm doing.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    get her using it to watch hulu and she will make you keep it.
    well you have 14 days to return it to staples so keep it for 13!
    Hulu plays awfully on it so I would not recommend that.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I disagree. I watch it full screen almost every evening.
  12.    #12  
    Just tried some hulu myself and it worked great. A bit choppy as it buffered, but then full screen and it was very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Hulu plays awfully on it so I would not recommend that.
    Have you tried since 3.0.2?
    It always gets messed up at every commercial break for me.

My phone is always easier to use to do the things I do most: phone calls, email, messaging and playing music over bluetooth. So 90% of the time I am on my phone, the other 10% on my laptop getting things done.

I pick up the TP only to wish it was easier to use. Constantly swiping with no result. I took it to work at first because its so portable, but quickly started taking it and my laptop.
    Laptops these days are lighter and lighter and around 8hrs battery. They can do so much more better.

After the commercial on hulu. Fixed by getting out and in to fullscreen again. Pain.

Also who knows how long till hulu blocks it.

What tablets are best for is when you are just consuming content. You could do this on your smaller phone screen, on the larger and comfortable to tote around tablet, or on a laptop/desktop. Laptops are always heavier, and they are generally mouse driven. If you want to be able to sit in a chair, or on the couch and surf the web, then the tablet is going to be the optimum device in terms of weight and screen size.

Whether or not you want to have/keep a tablet simply depends on whether or not you want the portability of your phone to consume content, but you want something closer to a laptop in capability.

At work, we use a TouchPad to take meeting minutes and log actions on an action register. It's better than lugging a business laptop around, and it's quite capable of typing up minutes in text format that can be easily brought into Word on a PC and emailed out. It would be even more useful if I could have access to the company's Wifi network, but, being a Mil-Aero avionics company, only secured devices with specific loads are allowed on the network. The TouchPad is not yet a company approved device for this. But, for what it does, it is quite useful.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I bought the 32gb model on Friday and I just sold it today on craigslist, I had a better experience with the iPad and Playbook. I'll wait and see what the next generation Touchpad brings
    Quote Originally Posted by Antichulius View Post
    I got my TP 32gb this weekend for $400. Its was a great deal and I couldn't pass it up. But I've been pretty underwhelmed since.

I've been with webOS since Apr 2010 when I got my VZ pre+, and I'm really die hard about the OS (palmOS since 2000).

Its a nice device, but $400 is a lot for something that is just nice. Its heavy and my wrists start feeling sore after using it a while. Plus I can't figure out what I would use it for that my pre can't do (or that the Pre3 won't be able to when I upgrade).

I love the smoothness and the update is great. It just seems to be trying to fill a hole in my life that isn't really there. I have a super powerful PC, a laptop and a netbook. Plus one of my most frequent sites with flash doesn't work (jwplayer, technically). If I could get that working I could see a point to the TP. But without its a bit expensive for a kindle reader (the main thing missing from my pre).

No, I've not Preware'd yet. Nor have I bought any of the great paid apps. I'm trying to find a use case that makes it worth the cost to keep the TP first. Also, I have not yet bought any accessories (keyboard or touchstone, so that could make a big difference, but increase the total cost)

I've got it for 2 weeks until I have to make a decision to return or not. Can anyone tell me what they use their TP for? Maybe I'm missing something?

If you've paid $400 for a device and the next day you're asking "Why should I keep" it, well you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

I don't see how you wouldn't noticed it was heavy in the store. If you bought it i'd think that you would have already decided that you're just fine with the weight of a touchpad even if it is heavy. If you "don't know what you'd use it for" I don't understand why you'd buy a tablet in the first place. I maybe you just have the money to burn but it strikes me as a bit of a waste. Seems to me you put the cart before the horse. You bought a tablet before you even decided if you want or need a tablet.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antichulius View Post

I use it for watching movies, playing games, web browsing, and emailing, and using the calender. The battery life and small size makes it worth it. Much lighter than a netbook or laptop and with better battery life. The touchstone just makes it that much more convenient.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast