Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree20Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    mine is going back to staples as well... tried it out because of the awesome staples deal, but the build feels cheap. It's already creaking on one side of the tablet. Flash is s-l-o-w. Can't get through a video no hulu or hbo go without it stopping for a while.

Netflix doesn't work. even overclocked to 1.728, it's slow. Funny thing is that though the animations are slow, the touch sensitivity is better than the playbook. And THAT has faster animations. But the device is slow. Feels more polished than android though, just needs better performance. I feel for HP. They adopted a system with tons of potential, but can't be realized due to the bottom line: apps and performance.

I wanted a media player that'll play my movies/music through stream from my system. But that was a pipe dream.
    hulu stops because of ads, if you have max blocker patch it won't play the ad, it will just turn black and restart again when ad is through (there is a message on top that says back in 36 seconds or whatever.)

Mine is very fast-did you try the patches recommended in this thread?
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...oldtimers.html

There are fixes here that will stream (ampache), others can help you better than i, do some digging
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    Man, how do you type fast enough for notes? I can't type worth anything on touchscreens
    With the case set to the lower level, and the TouchPad in landscape, I set the keyboard to M and then I just tend to trust my fingers. I type like I would on a keyboard, and the autocorrect fills in some of the mistakes. It's not 100% mistake free, but I can fly pretty quickly on it. I was quite surprised, because my prior use of virtual keyboards showed me why I prefer the hardware keyboard on my Pre 2 (and formally on my Pre+). If you can type without looking on a normal keyboard, then you should be able to do type quickly, though while looking at the keyboard.

Just try out the different sizes...trust the keyboard...and just try typing as fast as you would on a real keyboard. Once I did that, I found I can type at about 80-90% of full speed.
  4.    #84  
    I totally found a place for the TP today. I had to show some emailed documents to people and it was great for that. And then my Mother visited and wanted to show me a youtube video, but instead of huddling around the computer (or phone), the TP was great.

But with the news/rumors of the TP Go (Opal) hitting the FCC, I'm totally stoked to get that one instead. 7" (ish) is more my taste, I think. And a lower price point (maybe) will be more to my liking for what I will use it for. I just hope it gets announced soon (maybe for a mid October release with time enough to get release-bugs out before the holiday season hits).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    it sounds like your still trying to justify an impulse buy. We have all made purchases in the past where we then thought do I really need this. From the other devices you said you own maybe any tablet is just something you don't need. Don't keep doubting your purchase or searching for a reason to keep it. If by now you have not found a real need for it return it and get your money back but don't think buying a different tablet will make you happy because they all have pros and cons. From what you have been saying you would do just fine with your phone and netbook for a more portable device. Best wishes its your property and your decision, not much more we can say to try to convince you one way or the other.
    i've tried as much patches as I found. Removed the sensitivity and smooth patch.. didn't do much except make angry birds unplayable. But even @ 1.7GHz dual core, it still feels slow (when scrolling through web pages, scrolling through e-mail, just moving around in general -- even pinch to zoom!)

But it doesn't lag to your finger though... it keeps up at a pretty decent pace, just looks like it's struggling to do so... really choppy animations. And when you really do multiple things at once, it freaks out.

With Netflix, it'll say that it needs a system running win xp, vista, or 7 or Mac OSX in order to work. (web site)

for this, i realize that my touchpad was an impulse buy. I really want HP to stay competitive, but with the $100 drop and barely any movement in sales, it's hard to swallow the inevitable...

TBH, I really don't need a tablet...
    i've tried as much patches as I found. Removed the sensitivity and smooth patch.. didn't do much except make angry birds unplayable. But even @ 1.7GHz dual core, it still feels slow (when scrolling through web pages, scrolling through e-mail, just moving around in general -- even pinch to zoom!)

But it doesn't lag to your finger though... it keeps up at a pretty decent pace, just looks like it's struggling to do so... really choppy animations. And when you really do multiple things at once, it freaks out.

With Netflix, it'll say that it needs a system running win xp, vista, or 7 or Mac OSX in order to work. (web site)

for this, i realize that my touchpad was an impulse buy. I really want HP to stay competitive, but with the $100 drop and barely any movement in sales, it's hard to swallow the inevitable...

TBH, I really don't need a tablet...
    Have you 1) rebooted the device, 2) given the device enough time around a strong/fast wifi network to sync everything, and 3) gotten the 3.0.2 update? If yes to all three, I would suggest doing a webOS Doctor on the device. You could have some issues going on with your software load. But just make sure you have given it enough time to sync everything that needs to be synched and that you are judging performance when it is hooked to a strong wifi network (router brand can also be an issue here as some don't play well with the TouchPad).
    Quote Originally Posted by Antichulius View Post
    7" (ish) is more my taste, I think. And a lower price point (maybe) will be more to my liking for what I will use it for.
    indeed, after owning both EEEpad and gtab 7, I found myself using gtab 7 much more. 10" is just simply too big to be constantly carried around. Its more of a home device.

and yeah, hopefully it will be $350 or less out of the door. It will be good for hp too, learn something from tp launch for once already.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Have you 1) rebooted the device, 2) given the device enough time around a strong/fast wifi network to sync everything, and 3) gotten the 3.0.2 update? If yes to all three, I would suggest doing a webOS Doctor on the device. You could have some issues going on with your software load. But just make sure you have given it enough time to sync everything that needs to be synched and that you are judging performance when it is hooked to a strong wifi network (router brand can also be an issue here as some don't play well with the TouchPad).
    1-yes, 2-yes (5GHz and BGN), 3-yes

WebOS doctor on a brand new device? But what I've seen is pretty consistent with the videos posted--laggy scroll even @ 1.7GHz. The weight does seem to be quite noticeable when I'm watching a video (holding the device)
    1-yes, 2-yes (5GHz and BGN), 3-yes

WebOS doctor on a brand new device? But what I've seen is pretty consistent with the videos posted--laggy scroll even @ 1.7GHz. The weight does seem to be quite noticeable when I'm watching a video (holding the device)
    Interesting. Now, there will be some choppiness on occasion since the CSS isn't all accelerated (I don't believe it's all there yet, even on 3.0.2), but your experience sounds worse than it should be. I should mention, to you prior post, that Netflix uses Microsoft's Silverlight (competitor to Flash) which isn't currently available on webOS (not sure if it's available on anything but WP7, as I think they have another means to get around it using an app instead of the browser).

A tablet is really for those who need the mobility of a laptop/netbook, without the heft, and who are willing to deal with a slightly less capable experience. If you don't need/want that, then no tablet will really be something you need/want. It'll just be a toy. So that is something you must think about. I've mentioned before that I use one at work to take meeting minutes so I'm not lugging a laptop around when all the team needs is an alternative to handwritten notebooks that have to be re-transcribed to Word. The TouchPad performs this role admirably.

I would like my own personal one for when I and the family take trips up north to see the wife's parents. We take the laptop, which I primarily use to browse the web and occasionally watch movies. It's bulky, and only lasts about an hour on battery (battery is getting old, but even when new it would only last a couple of hours at best), and then I have to deal with a mouse because track pads suck *beep*. I'd like to use it during the car ride as well, but it's just too bulky, and I don't have a charger for the car. The TouchPad would be perfect for this role. So it all comes down to your needs and wants. If you don't have the needs and wants that the device can fulfill, then it's of no use to you.
    problem is it is an ackward position to type in with no where to rest your hand. I keep wishing I could move the keyboard to the middle of the screen
    at my apple store, the line managers use an ipad1. They are standing all day with device in hand. Both the guy and gal had the tablet inside a griffin sleeve that had a slip in back to rest your hand inside as if you are slipping on a mitt.

I asked both if the device felt heavy to them, the guy said no, the gal said yes it did hurt her hand.
    I hear ya, I got mine for $400 also for a 32GB, but I can't justify keeping it. I would keep it if there was an Evernote HD app, a terminal app, spotify, netflix, HDMI out, SD card slot. The kindle app did get me back into reading though, so I am going to be returning my touchpad and getting a kindle. I'll use my phone for all the things the touchpad does.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345