Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 93
Like Tree20Likes
  1. #61  
    I agree. I am a big fan of the phone, touchpad not so much. I swear there have been times when I have been stuck not knowing how to go back. I have no desire to search on the screen for a back button, if it was always in the same location it wouldn't be too bad, but it all over the place.

    It is much too hard to use and it didn't have to be. I thought only android was supposed to be clunky.
  2. MincerRay's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryknown View Post
    My decision is made; it's going back to Staples.
    Ryknown - check your PM's.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryknown View Post
    Good point... I should see for myself. I'd like to try one out but all the demos are broken that I've found and quite frankly; after reading all the posts on this forum, it just doesn't sound like it's worth it. Really, what happened was that after I purchased it, I came to this site and others reading all about my new toy as I was so excited. Then, I found the new one coming out and some poor reviews and figured I'd get rid of it before the 14 day return policy is up.

    Anyways, it's up for sale on craig's list now. You're welcome to buy it. $25 off if you mention this add or bring me a Staples coupon. PM me for details.
    You know the new one is gonna be the exact same thing, just with a 4G radio right?

    But sounds like you've already made up your mind, so I guess the thing to do now is to be nice and sell it to someone who wants it on craigslist.
  4. ryknown's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by MincerRay View Post
    Ryknown - check your PM's.
    Responded.
  5. ryknown's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    You know the new one is gonna be the exact same thing, just with a 4G radio right?

    But sounds like you've already made up your mind, so I guess the thing to do now is to be nice and sell it to someone who wants it on craigslist.
    Agreed.
  6. #66  
    The simple reality is that tablets aren't for everyone. This is why tablets have historically struggled, since, until the iPad, these things tended to be really heavy and have battery life about the same as a laptop. When mobility isn't there, it's not going to replace the more powerful device.

    As far as the TouchPad is concerned, I am using one at work to take all of our meeting notes, and it works great for this. It's light enough to tote around, where a laptop would be cumbersome taking it onto the production floor. If I had my own personal one, I would be using it to read forums most of the time, as well as responding. I would really like to have one for myself to take on trips up north where pulling out the laptop becomes quite cumbersome, especially in the car, as well as the fact that the battery doesn't last remotely as long on the laptop.

    To be quite honest, I can pretty much do the vast majority of PC/Laptop stuff, right on the TouchPad. There really isn't much that one can't do. I use TapNote and Typewriter Beta to turn the meeting minutes into text that I can copy and paste into Word, with the text already in a reasonable format. Takes seconds. The negativity from a number of people here really makes me wonder if some of these people actually have the device. And if they do, and they are still complaining about speed, then they are too impatient. I mean, why complain about an app taking a couple of seconds to load? Especially when you can leave the apps open. Boggles my mind.
  7. ryknown's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by MincerRay View Post
    Ryknown - check your PM's.
    Selling mine to MincerRay. Invoice sent and all.
  8. #68  
    Well, I guess I don't really "need" a Tablet, and I was about to get one this weekend but since the Pre 3 might not make its way to sprint than there's no reason for me to get the TouchPad and stay "suffering" with a 2 years and 2 months old device (my Palm Pre). I might get the Photon for it's world phone capabilities and if Sprint gets a WebOS device by the time I want to upgrade, than I will take a look at the new TouchPad. I love webOS and it does most of the things I need to do, but after using the first Evo last year for 30 days, and than the Evo 3D last month (for 30 days also) I think I might survive with Android until the next great webOS device in sprint, I hope anyway.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
  9. jimtravis's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #69  
    Resisted buying because I already had too many gadgets.
    Could not resist Staples special. First thing I did was 3.02 update.

    Pros:

    Nice screen, great viewing angles, nice color reproduction.
    Like the card interface, easy to use, and intuitive.
    Flash support, and Hulu without app or Hulu _+.
    Overall feel, and fit, no problem with girth.
    Like printing support particularly since it supports some rather old HP printers.

    Cons:
    Many of the apps I use on iOS / Android not yet available.
    Have already encountered too many cards message. For a device advertised as having great multitasking, this was certainly disappointing.
    Very disappointed with maximum volume level. It is very low compared to just about every other device I own playing the same video. Did a live chat with HP, no know solutions. Checked out display unit at BB, similar low audio with all audio set to max.
    Love Flash and Hulu, but Flash is very jittery if more than one browser window open. The web in general is rather slow when several windows open. Also, with Hulu as the only window open, still get jittery frames even though buffer is full.
    No Micro SD card support

    Other than the SD card, hopefully all other issues can be corrected with a future update. I am not giving up yet. I feel the Touchpad has a lot of potential, but is still a bit too rough for a released device.
    TravisAntonio likes this.
  10.    #70  
    The first 24 hours I had my TP, it crashed/rebooted three times. Sure, I was putting it through the paces while it was still setting up my profile. And I've not had an issue since.

    I had 2 instances of "too many cards", both due to flash- but both while running less than 5 cards (none were PDKs). I blamed Flash for those, though.

    Today I got a case and keyboard. The keyboard was pricey and I wasn't too impressed with it's function. Some nice webos keys, but not worth it to keep moving my hand to swipe to a new app (conrol + arrow for card switch, please) and some functions I'd love to see were missing (a back button? Or am I just not seeing it).

    But I LOVE the case. If the TP had it from day 1, I don't know if I'd have started this thread. It takes away the fragility of the device and adds some oompf that makes me not mind the weight so much.

    Unfortunately, the impulse-buy moment is passed and I've already committed that I must find a legitimate purpose for the TP in my life that makes it worth the cost (and the added price of accessories on top of it). Money is tight right now, after all.

    I don't think I'll find a reason. I just don't think an 11" tablet is for me right now. And I'm okay with that. I've really enjoyed being able to try out the TP and now I can talk about it intelligently.

    Not, I'm not deciding today. But the odds of keeping it are slim. I'll most likely just hold out for the Pre3 or the Opal.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Herk_FE likes this.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    As far as the TouchPad is concerned, I am using one at work to take all of our meeting notes, and it works great for this. It's light enough to tote around, where a laptop would be cumbersome taking it onto the production floor. If I had my own personal one, I would be using it to read forums most of the time, as well as responding. I would really like to have one for myself to take on trips up north where pulling out the laptop becomes quite cumbersome, especially in the car, as well as the fact that the battery doesn't last remotely as long on the laptop.

    ...I use TapNote and Typewriter Beta to turn the meeting minutes into text that I can copy and paste into Word, with the text already in a reasonable format.
    Man, how do you type fast enough for notes? I can't type worth anything on touchscreens
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antichulius View Post
    I just don't think an 11" tablet is for me right now.
    Where did you get an 11" tablet???!!!

    Seriously, if you patched it to speed things up and don't like it by now or don't like what it has to offer, I'd say its time to move on.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    My first thought was "What drugs is this guy on" - but then I realized - "oh - he means Netbooks when he says Laptops."

    Netbooks are not Laptops.
    I would be surprised if you can name a Laptop that works for 4 hours on 1 battery - let alone 8.

    Even for Netbooks 8 hours is not a given.
    This is my thought.. Honestly a netbook is not too far off from a tablet. Ya they have more power, but they also last less, weigh more, screen readability is generally not as good since it's just windows, and the fact that it is windows means it's more resource intensive. Navigating around on a touchscreen is generally easier then small net books. There may be some more functionality but in all honesty if one has a netbook and a laptop, replacing the netbook with a tablet may actuallly be more useful. Lasts longer, always on, you can quickly reference it, for example, walking in the hall to a class or meeting and need to check something or do something quick on it, you can take it out and walk around with it while your checking If need be. Architects could use it looking at plans while on site and writing notes on it and sent it to headquarters, walk around using the became, always on makes it quick to load in situations plus if splash top comes out it will allow you access to your pc, and my use with splash top on my iPad is great and honestly my iPad crashes ALL THE TIME so I'm surprised how well it works. Which also brings me to the lag and freezing.. I'd rather have an occasion lag then the annoyingness of being in an app and suddenly being kicked out.. Especially when it's common and across multiple types of apps. My dad has a touchpad and it never does that. I want one eventually but am waiting for Netflix, doc editing, and splash top to connect with my computer I'm getting. I'm actually going to replace my laptop for a more powerful desktop with a multitouch screen for better app development (wp7 developer) and use a tablet for mobile. I really only need a laptop for extensive stays in different places which isn't often. I might need one later in college (majoring in architecture) but ATM I'd benefit better by having a tablet and desktop and selling my laptop.
    _____________________________________________
    Please excuse my grammar,i may be using a virtual keyboard or I just am in a rush.

    >i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    _____________________________________________
    Eclipse Software
    Head Developer
    Apps for Windows Phone 7 / webOS (coming soon)
  14. #74  
    tips for new users in this thread below, feel free to add, that point about taking awhile for first sync is good

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3061801
  15. #75  
    JimTravis

    There is a small patch out on Preware that increases the volume setting. Resolves all those volume issues you stated
  16. gihmley's Avatar
    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #76  
    I guess it really must just depend on what you do with your mobile devices. I'm loving my Touchpad, which replaced an iPad 2. I've found that I can do more actually work on the Touchpad than I could ever do on the iPad, especially with the internet where Flash support was needed. I find the mail client to be an improvement, and the device is rock solid stable. I've found good quality apps for the things I need, so I couldn't be happier - and being able to link my Veer to make and receive calls, and use the Veer for mobile hotspot support is fantastic. All I'm missing is the SMS integration with the pending Veer update.

    But this is where competition is a GOOD thing; not all devices are perfect for everyone. Just yesterday, I was working out of the office getting some repair work done on my car, and we had three devices in the waiting room, my Touchpad, an iPad, and an Android tablet. We actually had quite a nice conversation about what each of us were doing... and we all had different needs that the individual devices filled. We all agreed, there's plenty of room for all of them, and we end up winning when we can make the choice that fits us best.
    falconrap likes this.
  17. NickA's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    But this is where competition is a GOOD thing; not all devices are perfect for everyone. Just yesterday, I was working out of the office getting some repair work done on my car, and we had three devices in the waiting room, my Touchpad, an iPad, and an Android tablet. We actually had quite a nice conversation about what each of us were doing... and we all had different needs that the individual devices filled. We all agreed, there's plenty of room for all of them, and we end up winning when we can make the choice that fits us best.
    Exactly! Buy the device that works for you. When I go shopping for a coffee maker, I don't but a one cup maker, then complain when it won't make 12 cups at a time. Then go on forums and trash it and tell people I'm taking it back because it won't make 12 cups of coffee.
    toy4x4 and falconrap like this.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Exactly! Buy the device that works for you. When I go shopping for a coffee maker, I don't but a one cup maker, then complain when it won't make 12 cups at a time. Then go on forums and trash it and tell people I'm taking it back because it won't make 12 cups of coffee.
    This made me laugh! And yet, it's so true.
    _____________________________________________
    Please excuse my grammar,i may be using a virtual keyboard or I just am in a rush.

    >i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    _____________________________________________
    Eclipse Software
    Head Developer
    Apps for Windows Phone 7 / webOS (coming soon)
  19. #79  
    mine is going back to staples as well... tried it out because of the awesome staples deal, but the build feels cheap. It's already creaking on one side of the tablet. Flash is s-l-o-w. Can't get through a video no hulu or hbo go without it stopping for a while.

    Netflix doesn't work. even overclocked to 1.728, it's slow. Funny thing is that though the animations are slow, the touch sensitivity is better than the playbook. And THAT has faster animations. But the device is slow. Feels more polished than android though, just needs better performance. I feel for HP. They adopted a system with tons of potential, but can't be realized due to the bottom line: apps and performance.

    I wanted a media player that'll play my movies/music through stream from my system. But that was a pipe dream.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    tips for new users in this thread below, feel free to add, that point about taking awhile for first sync is good

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3061801
    Definitely true. The speed on my Touchpad after a few days and a restart is much faster than what it was on the first day.

    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    JimTravis

    There is a small patch out on Preware that increases the volume setting. Resolves all those volume issues you stated
    I can vouch that this works very well. Got it last night and volume is much louder than before.

    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    mine is going back to staples as well... tried it out because of the awesome staples deal, but the build feels cheap. It's already creaking on one side of the tablet. Flash is s-l-o-w. Can't get through a video no hulu or hbo go without it stopping for a while.

    Netflix doesn't work. even overclocked to 1.728, it's slow. Funny thing is that though the animations are slow, the touch sensitivity is better than the playbook. And THAT has faster animations. But the device is slow. Feels more polished than android though, just needs better performance. I feel for HP. They adopted a system with tons of potential, but can't be realized due to the bottom line: apps and performance.

    I wanted a media player that'll play my movies/music through stream from my system. But that was a pipe dream.
    How long have you had it? Have you done a full restart yet? Mine was slow for the first couple of days, even with the 3.0.2 patch. But after the 3rd day and a full reboot, it got a lot smoother.

    Then I added the patches (muffle logging, hyper card animation, etc), OC'd it to 1.5ghz via uberkernel, and now it flies.

    Haven't tried netflix yet, but watched a couple of episodes of day9 daily on blip.tv and that worked pretty well.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions