Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it took me a few days, but eventually I find myself grabbing the TouchPad instead of my phone...
    me too. I like the larger display for browsing the web and reading email while relaxing on the couch.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    How long have you had it? The TP is slow in the initial few days due to synergy set up and other background tasks. My TP runs very smoothly on 3.02, I added the logging patch but didn't notice much difference.
    I bought it on August 5th. So after a few days it'll get faster? Also do I need to restart it periodically to free the memory? I've noticed I can get fewer cards open before I get the "too many cards" error.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I can't help but notice that most negative comments are coming from people you'd expect negative comments from and from other people who only registered days ago, with nothing but a handful of negative comments in their profile. Hmmm.
    I think it makes sense. I mean, a lot of people bought the TP because of the heavy discount this past weekend would normally probably not have bought one, I know I was one. And where else are they going to go for help/advice on their first webOS tablet (probably product as well)?

For the most part, I think the new people are just trying to figure things out with webOS. And since the Touchpad is more buggy than the iPad or Touchpad and the app support isn't as great, of course you'll see more complaints than compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    My response would be "yes", but "that big of a difference" is very subjective. Best bet is to give it a try.

That said, I doubt it will every be as smooth (appearing) as your iPad. There are tradeoffs in the IT world. The webOS user interface is nice, but it does come at a cost.

As far as being useable, I think it is without the patches, but the patches definitely speed things up.
    Does your TP ever freeze for a few seconds when you're trying to scroll through email/facebook/message, or freeze for 5-10 sec when you try to open an app?
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    Does your TP ever freeze for a few seconds when you're trying to scroll through email/facebook/message, or freeze for 5-10 sec when you try to open an app?
    All three of the apps you mentioned, email, facebook, and messaging, are cloud apps. In the background, the TP is not only connecting and pulling those emails/photos/messages, it's adding them to its internal database and indexing them for Just Type.

Remember what I said about trade-offs? That occasional lag is one of the drawbacks to Synergy and Just Type.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    me too. I like the larger display for browsing the web and reading email while relaxing on the couch.
    I don't care for browsing on the touchpad, it annoys me because I like my opera browser with my history always open in a panel. So I need to browse, off to the laptop I go
    browsing is the main thing I do on mine. If I didn't find it useful in that respect I would be a lot less likely to hold onto it.
    All three of the apps you mentioned, email, facebook, and messaging, are cloud apps. In the background, the TP is not only connecting and pulling those emails/photos/messages, it's adding them to its internal database and indexing them for Just Type.

Remember what I said about trade-offs? That occasional lag is one of the drawbacks to Synergy and Just Type.
    I understand what is happening why some apps take so long to load, but I think its a mistake to make it load that way, especially if someone is just trying it out for the first time.

What they should do is make the app load full screen immediately, then have that spinning thing while it does what it has to do. That way people won't think something is wrong
    ebolamonkey3, how many apps are you opening when you get the "Too many cards" error? You should be able to open a lot of apps. I've had a dozen open without this error. If your TouchPad is really sluggish all the time, and you get "Too many cards" a lot, then there could be an issue with the software load. You may want to consider doing a webOS Doctor on the device to reload the software. It will wipe the current install clean, load the latest version (3.0.2), then pull your contacts, calendars, messages, and accounts (minus passwords) back down to the device. At that point, once everything is synced, you should be having a very smooth experience without the issues you are complaining about.

They're will always be an occasional lag in Synergy based apps, since they must download information from the internet. But it shouldn't be all that bad.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antichulius View Post
    Why should I keep the TP
    I haven't even opened mine yet and I've been asking myself this question since I purchased it... (I purchased the 16gb one from Staples, with a sleeve). After reading all the reviews and a lot of the forum posts it sounds like an OK piece of hardware but without any worthwhile software. I'm not an Apple fan boy nor do I really care for Android either. As many other reviewers have stated, it's just not there yet. And, if we actually do wait for it to get there, we'll have many other (and better) hardware options available. Just look at Amazon (TouchPad 4G Now Pre-Orderable at Amazon) who today posted a pre-order web page for the new 4G Touchpad that has a GPS and a faster processor. "Why should I keep the TP?" Here's my answer: "You shouldn't... Wait a little while and you'll see lots of other options like we're already seeing from HP but also from android, and apple before the US holiday season."
    Yhippa likes this.
    First, I will admit that I'm a big fan of webOS - so when the TP came out, I had to try it. Second, I haven't had a personal computer (besides smartphones) in a very long time - always had a business laptop. When I get home, I have found that I am reluctant to open the work laptop just to do leisurely media consumption. So when tablets became mainstream with the ipad, I was anxious to get one with my favorite OS on it. That is my justification for my purchase. Now I find that I use it for more work related tasks than my laptop. Gravy.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!

Does it do that all the time or only when I have those apps open in the cards? Should I be developing a habit of closing cards I'm not using atm and then just reopen them later, or is it okay to leave the most frequently used cards open (mail, message, facebook)?

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    ebolamonkey3, how many apps are you opening when you get the "Too many cards" error? You should be able to open a lot of apps. I've had a dozen open without this error. If your TouchPad is really sluggish all the time, and you get "Too many cards" a lot, then there could be an issue with the software load. You may want to consider doing a webOS Doctor on the device to reload the software. It will wipe the current install clean, load the latest version (3.0.2), then pull your contacts, calendars, messages, and accounts (minus passwords) back down to the device. At that point, once everything is synced, you should be having a very smooth experience without the issues you are complaining about.

They're will always be an occasional lag in Synergy based apps, since they must download information from the internet. But it shouldn't be all that bad.
    It really depends, I've had anywhere between 1 - 12. On Saturday/Sunday I would open 10-12 apps before I get the too many cards error, and that depends on the apps (maps in particular seems to take up a lot of memory, won't open when another app will). Then it got real bad on Sunday night, where I can only get 5-6 apps open. Then earlier tonight I tried opening an app, having left the Homebrew Documentation app open all night last night on the TouchPad, I couldn't open anything, even after I closed all the apps.

Ran webOS doctor and all that, finally just decided to restart the tablet, which I just realized I haven't done at all since updating to 3.0.2 on Friday. And what do you know, that fixed everything, go figure lol. All the apps I mentioned above start to run much more smoothly, and switching tabs in Facebook/Email were much smoother as well.

Does webOS require a restart every so often like Windows XP used to?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryknown View Post
    I haven't even opened mine yet and I've been asking myself this question since I purchased it... (I purchased the 16gb one from Staples, with a sleeve). After reading all the reviews and a lot of the forum posts it sounds like an OK piece of hardware but without any worthwhile software. I'm not an Apple fan boy nor do I really care for Android either. As many other reviewers have stated, it's just not there yet. And, if we actually do wait for it to get there, we'll have many other (and better) hardware options available. Just look at Amazon (TouchPad 4G Now Pre-Orderable at Amazon) who today posted a pre-order web page for the new 4G Touchpad that has a GPS and a faster processor. "Why should I keep the TP?" Here's my answer: "You shouldn't... Wait a little while and you'll see lots of other options like we're already seeing from HP but also from android, and apple before the US holiday season."
    Well it's the Chicken/Egg issue where consumers don't want to buy devices until they're well supported and devs don't want to support/develop for devices until there are a lot of consumers. Granted, we as the consumer should not be expected to buy any version 1 product that's still got bugs and in need of a lot of apps just so devs will start to develop for it. That's HP's responsibility to court devs and get all this stuff worked out. But no one's forcing us to buy the TP either. We buy it either because of webOS, or because of the cheaper price compared to other tablets, or because of the awesome accessories, or any combination of the above.

So a long winded response to the OP I guess, but if you don't need a tablet right now or what you have already does what you need then waiting would be smart, especially since we all believe better and more polished webOS tablets are in the near future. But for right now, with software updates and preware/patches, you can get a smooth running tablet w/ arguably the best tablet OS running on hardware as good as the rest of the competition (minus GPS, and a back camera that may or may not be that important to you anyways) for at least $100 less ($200 if you got the Staples deal). So sure it's lacking in apps, but it's got most of the ones I need and for $200 less, I can settle
    Last edited by ebolamonkey3; 08/09/2011 at 01:01 AM.
  11.    #51  
    Another day with my TP. It wasn't used much today, sadly. For any wondering, I didn't buy it cuz I knew I needed it. I got it just to see (and the price was the reason to get it now). I'm enjoying the test drive. Sure, I'm not seeing a great place it fits yet for me, but I've really liked all the comments here, and I've still got 10 days to decide.

Lately, I've been working on producing content more than consuming, which could explain my lackluster response to the TP. Thanks for the post to bring my attention to that.

Watching a movie last night was nice- crisp and clear. I really enjoyed it. But I think a stand is in order. Anyone use the case/stand in their lap or while laying down? How does it do?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Laptops these days are lighter and lighter and around 8hrs battery. They can do so much more better.
    My first thought was "What drugs is this guy on" - but then I realized - "oh - he means Netbooks when he says Laptops."

Netbooks are not Laptops.
    I would be surprised if you can name a Laptop that works for 4 hours on 1 battery - let alone 8.

Even for Netbooks 8 hours is not a given.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    My first thought was "What drugs is this guy on" - but then I realized - "oh - he means Netbooks when he says Laptops."

Netbooks are not Laptops.
    I would be surprised if you can name a Laptop that works for 4 hours on 1 battery - let alone 8.

Even for Netbooks 8 hours is not a given.
    My Thinkpad x220 with 9 cell battery gets 7 -10 hrs on a charge depending on what I'm doing
    pdaneophyte likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antichulius View Post
    Another day with my TP. It wasn't used much today, sadly. For any wondering, I didn't buy it cuz I knew I needed it. I got it just to see (and the price was the reason to get it now). I'm enjoying the test drive. Sure, I'm not seeing a great place it fits yet for me, but I've really liked all the comments here, and I've still got 10 days to decide.

Lately, I've been working on producing content more than consuming, which could explain my lackluster response to the TP. Thanks for the post to bring my attention to that.

Watching a movie last night was nice- crisp and clear. I really enjoyed it. But I think a stand is in order. Anyone use the case/stand in their lap or while laying down? How does it do?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The case works great as a stand on your lap (I tend to use the low position) or laying down (I switch to the higher position).

Buy TapNote for productivity (text editing) and get a fre dropbox account.
    If you guys just don't like your Touchpad then just sell it or return it!.

I'm about to buy a Touchpad, if you're interested on buy it PM me.
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I haven't even opened mine yet and I've been asking myself this question since I purchased it...
    After reading all the reviews and a lot of the forum posts it sounds like an OK piece of hardware but without any worthwhile software. I'm not an Apple fan boy nor do I really care for Android either. As many other reviewers have stated, it's just not there yet.
    Bought it, didn't open it, didn't try it, but...it's not there yet?
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Bought it, didn't open it, didn't try it, but...it's not there yet?
    Good point... I should see for myself. I'd like to try one out but all the demos are broken that I've found and quite frankly; after reading all the posts on this forum, it just doesn't sound like it's worth it. Really, what happened was that after I purchased it, I came to this site and others reading all about my new toy as I was so excited. Then, I found the new one coming out and some poor reviews and figured I'd get rid of it before the 14 day return policy is up.

Anyways, it's up for sale on craig's list now. You're welcome to buy it. $25 off if you mention this add or bring me a Staples coupon. PM me for details.
    Good point... I should see for myself. I'd like to try one out but all the demos are broken that I've found and quite frankly; after reading all the posts on this forum, it just doesn't sound like it's worth it. Really, what happened was that after I purchased it, I came to this site and others reading all about my new toy as I was so excited. Then, I found the new one coming out and some poor reviews and figured I'd get rid of it before the 14 day return policy is up.

Anyways, it's up for sale on craig's list now. You're welcome to buy it. $25 off if you mention this add or bring me a Staples coupon. PM me for details.
    Very few people (relatively speaking) come on to a forum and say "I'm basically happy with my purchase, it does what I thought it would"

Some that are surprised after reading a lot of negative might, but even that's a minority.

If you look closer at the complaints on here, you'll notice it's a small group of the same people complaining over and over. Fact is that many of those complaining don't even have a TouchPad, they are parrotting the complaints of what they've read elsewhere.

Open the box. Try it out. Give it a week or two. Come back frequently and ask questions about how to make it doe what you want. If you don't like it, take it back.

In short, quit reading and start using.
    nyallj and falconrap like this.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I'm glad that there is a number of you happy with your device. I was able to try one out today at a local Fry's Elec. I am now more sure than ever that this device is not for me. My biggest problem besides it being s-l-o-w, was that there is no back method. I either had to swipe up or push the "home" button to completely close the app (or, turn the app into a card), then start my search for settings, games or whatever all over again. It was not a good experience. I'll end my rant now. My decision is made; it's going back to Staples. Good luck with your TP.
    On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised with the BB Playbook.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I just got one this weekend with the staples thing and I'm enjoying it for the time being. It's a nice inbetween device when i don't want to have my laptop near me when I'm lounging about and I don't want to get up to go to the desktop.
    It's definitely got some things I'd like to see worked on, but honestly they're pretty livable, it's mainly an internet media consuming device for myself.
    I'm looking forward to having it replace my laptop when I am on personal travel. Note I said personal travel (i.e. vacation), because I typically just want to check email, read up on news, etc., and it's got a bigger screen than my phone for that kind of thing. Bonus, I don't have to pull it out of my bag at security like I would my laptop.

To be fair, any tablet would do the things I mention above, I just happened to have some investment in webOS as far as time and resources spent; and the price was good this past weekend.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast