Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
Like Tree93Likes
  1.    #1  
    As the proud owner of a MacBook Pro, iPhone, and iPad 2, it's safe to say I love Apple products. But when people call me a ******, it ticks me off: I don't just like Apple products because I'm some brainwashed zombie; it's because I admire the elegance, design, breadth of apps, and focus on the user experience that their products embue.

    That being said, I'm always curious about the other products in the technology space... is this Android phone more likely to suit my needs? is there a better tablet on the market than the iPad?
    ----------------------------------------
    A few months ago, a product that we now know as the HP TouchPad piqued my interest. After reading so many laudatory reviews about webOS on mobile phones, the fact that it was now coming to a 10" tablet made me that much more interested. Plus, the fact I never really had the chance to take the OS for a true test drive was making the TouchPad starting to look like a more viable option.

    When the TouchPad reviews started hitting the interwebs, it was definitely disappointing to discover that the performance was sluggish and overall "not worth the money (at $499 for the 16 GB)." The consensus seemed to be that perhaps if HP worked out the kinks software-wise and shaved $100 off the pricetag, it'd be a win.

    Fast forward to this past week: HP releases 3.0.2, the promised software-bug-fix extravaganza, and moreover offers $200 off the tablet (40%!). With a 14-day return policy as a safeguard, I couldn't help but resist the deal on the 10" tablet. At 300 bucks, this thing's gotta be worth it's value, right?

    Here's where I stand right now after two days of fiddling around with this thing:

    * The bezel/cards UI is awesome.
    * Syncing music with HPPlay is super simple-- wouldn't mind the workaround whatsoever.
    * It's pretty damn hefty. Makes my iPad 2 feel almost lightweight.
    * The screen and iPhone 3G-ish style back attract fingerprints like its their job.
    * There is a paltry selection of apps.
    * BeatsAudio means nothing.
    * Skype integration is neat.
    * iPhone apps are iffy at best when scaled to the iPad. webOS phone apps are not even manageable when scaled to the TouchPad (basically, no x2 button).
    * etc.

    But, as an iPad owner, I'm kind of confused what I can do with this thing:

    With my iPad, I enjoy news apps like Pulse, Reeder, and the New York Times. As far as I can tell, there are no such apps for the TouchPad (yes, I know there's USA today but c'mon). And while there is a New York TImes phone app, it does not scale full-screen which is miserable.

    As an iPad owner, I enjoy playing games like NFS and Cut the Rope. Again, a far as I can tell, there are no superb TP games.

    As an iPad owner, I love consuming media: HBOGO, Netflix, Hulu +, etc. But again, as far as I can tell there are no viable options (flash performance is slow, sorry).

    Aas an iPad owner, I can read any ePub I desire... control my Apple TV... using the iWork suite on the go. Can I do those with the TouchPad (minus control Apple TV, of course)?* (* serious question)

    I guess I'm just kinda confused with what I can/should be doing with this thing. Are there some killer apps I'm missing? Are there nifty features that truly help it stand out?

    I want to like this thing, I really do, but as it stands now I'm going to be making a trip back to Best Buy sometime in the next twelve days.
  2. #2  
    honestly, until hp secures some of the big name apps you've mention, I don't think I would be able to justify owning a tp and an ipad2. That said, many people here are into it for 3 things: The user interface (and how it fits into ones work flow), the openness of the platform, and Synergy. We're here in hopes that our support will help pique the interest of developers, removing the app catalog as the key differentiator and placing the focus on UX innovation.

    I'm sorry you don't enjoy flash performance on your touchpad. I haven't had any problems with mine...

    that said, there are several great games available for the touchpad and many of them exact clones of the iPad version. NFS is one of them.
  3. #3  
    For the New York Times app there is a fullscreen version its called "The NY Times News Feeds" you are most likely using the one made for the Pre that runs in emulator mode.
    nudicles likes this.
  4. #4  
    To each their own. You've been using Apple products for a long time so you are use to it.

    As a WebOS user using my wife's iPad2 is like torture.

    -I can't stand not being able to swipe up to close an app.
    -I hate pressing that damn button twice to switch apps.
    -That annoying blue box that pops up drives me insane.
    -I really don't get the appeal of a whole screen of icons.
    -The camera is just awful, I don't even know why it's there.
    -It literally took me 20 minutes to figure out how to rearrange the icons.
    -Turning on and off WiFi takes 10x longer than in WebOS.
    -I couldn't even turn the iPad2 on without installing software on my computer, w.t. f!?

    Ya, they may not have 2000000000000 apps, or whatever they claim nowadays. But what I need is a good email client, a good web browser, some basic media tools, and a user experience that doesn't get me angry - and that's what WebOS is to me.
  5. redmist's Avatar
    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    #5  
    Most of the things you mention were not available on the iPad one month after it was released.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    honestly, until hp secures some of the big name apps you've mention, I don't think I would be able to justify owning a tp and an ipad2. That said, many people here are into it for 3 things: The user interface (and how it fits into ones work flow), the openness of the platform, and Synergy.
    4 things. Flash support ends up being pretty big and bypasses a lot of the app "needs" from what I've found.
  7. #7  
    I have an epub reader on my Touchpad. Preader . New, beta, but the TP form is new. You posted this today? The 7th? I have a NYTimes reader program, an NPR reader program, Glimpse (great combo that I use to do Twitter and newsfeeds). They are in the catalog.

    there are some full screen "pdk" applications. I have the need for speed one, only played it a few minutes.

    interestingly, I got a Curious George kids book that appears to be a quick port from iPad OS. The coding in "pdk" is C(some flavor) writing to the hardware rather than the web interface of Web's. Plugins (pdk) are shunted thru Web's to run at a lower level. That is my understanding, at least.

    they say that porting from iphone OS to Web's PDK is very easy.

    I have watched Hulu on this TP. No program and subscription needed. I don't see the point tho. I use my PS3 for netflix and TiVo to get tv shows.

    Beats audio actually is something. I compared the pre amp output of my phone to the TP. The TouchPad sounds a lot better.

    One wacky fail of the TPad is no GPS. What were they thinking?

    I've been using Macintosh for 10 years. Won't install Lion tho.

    I do hope TPad II is on the drawing boards with a body like the Nokia N8 and N9, carved from solid resin.
  8. #8  
    if you are coming from IOS, you need a few weeks of exclusive use to get the hang of it. I also recommend you install preware. Once you see what it's like when you can customize without jailbreaking.... You are hooked.

    a lot of the magic comes when you start doing thing that would never occur to you with iOS. Like answering a phone call through your touchpad (webos phone required), browsing your photobucket and facebook apps in the photo app, and using just type instead of launching apps as your starting point.
  9. #9  
    also, head over to hulu.com and watch your favorite shows. It isn't quite as simple as on a PC, but it's really a nice thing that you can't do with iOS.
    cobrakon likes this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefire View Post
    To each their own. You've been using Apple products for a long time so you are use to it.

    As a WebOS user using my wife's iPad2 is like torture.

    -I can't stand not being able to swipe up to close an app.
    -I hate pressing that damn button twice to switch apps.
    -That annoying blue box that pops up drives me insane.
    -I really don't get the appeal of a whole screen of icons.
    -The camera is just awful, I don't even know why it's there.
    -It literally took me 20 minutes to figure out how to rearrange the icons.
    -Turning on and off WiFi takes 10x longer than in WebOS.
    -I couldn't even turn the iPad2 on without installing software on my computer, w.t. f!?

    Ya, they may not have 2000000000000 apps, or whatever they claim nowadays. But what I need is a good email client, a good web browser, some basic media tools, and a user experience that doesn't get me angry - and that's what WebOS is to me.
    +1 - going from my transformer to the wife's iPad2 just throws me into fits (Come on, Pioneer! Release iControlAV2 for Android tablets! I need tablet control of my VSX-53!!!)
    If it wasn't for a lack of Pioneer iControlAV2 on my transformer, I wouldn't pick that iBrick up for anything...

    No tabbed browsing...
    Nevermind no tabbed browsing... you're f#@%$ stuck with Suckfari, no Dolphin, no Firefox...
    No flash...
    Compared to my Captivate (Android 2.3.3) and transformer (3.2), iPad2 wifi LAN speeds are sub-par...
    I HATE not being able to drag-n-drop music and videos un USB storage mode, expecially "video conversion" required
    HATE being forced to use iTines...
    HATE having to enter a $&%@# password EVERY fricking time I even update a FREE app...

    Should I keep going? I can go on all dang day...
    etx and Herk_FE like this.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlyall View Post
    One wacky fail of the TPad is no GPS. What were they thinking?
    I keep seeing this brought up, but the iPad 2 non-3G model also lacks GPS.

    See the location section here: Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.
    Palm IIIx > Palm m505 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Centro > Pre- & Touchpad
  12. #12  
    even without a gps, it seems to always know where I am.
    cobrakon and grappler like this.
  13. #13  
    iPad 2 is productive because of the apps despite the OS. That is what makes it a powerful device. The TP is productive because of the OS despite the apps. In the end the apps will matter more because the OS can only accomplish so much. I don't blame the OP for being underwhelmed.
    cabbonizio and KCTraveler like this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    In the end the apps will matter more because the OS can only accomplish so much.
    In the end the OS will matter more because apps can be ported. Now go forth and start spending your HP $50 app credit so the devs will be motivated.
  15. #15  
    OP-

    The ONLY thing better about the ipad that matters to me is the apps.

    I was a longtime Pre user until a few months ago. I didn't realize how important apps are, but now that I have owned an Android device since May, I just cant go back. I use the apps for too many things that my phone just cant do without them.

    webOS as an operating system is better than iOS or Android. That is just plainly obvious to me. But none of the things that make webOS better than other platforms are deal-makers for me. I dont care that notifications are a little more obtrusive, I dont care that it takes a split second longer to kill an app, I dont care that the system menus arent as easy or intuitive.

    This is something that a lot of webOS users are either unaware of or simply dont want to admit. I really do wish I could own a webOS device because I just love the OS that much. But until HP can get the developers back on board, I have to sit on the sidelines with my Nexus or whatever comes next. Its all about the apps.
    observator and ariker01 like this.
  16. #16  
    You're being too harsh and expecting too much out of a product that came out just one month ago.
    For starters, the TouchPad has more apps than the PlayBook or ANY Android tablet, and it should be noted that it come out after them. Also, the TouchPad was launched with more apps than the original iPad.
    You can return it if you want, but all I see is HP making the right moves in order to get this tablet going and get developers on. I've seen ton of commercials for it, HP paid developers twice the amount of money for the apps they sold their first month, and early adopters are getting $50 to spend on whatever apps they want.

    webOS didn't go anywhere with poor ol' broke Palm. HP is a different story.
  17. #17  
    Actually, the original iPad came out with 10 000 apps (in Australia), not less than 300 as you say.
  18. suruat's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #18  
    As for me I like my touchpad. However I understand the OP frustrations, coming from IOS with such a huge app store, you can add any kind of functionality to you device. So when someone like him who is used to that kind of app availability comes to webOS, they most likely will be disappointed.

    We all know that webOS is the best kept secret as a mobile OS, its very funtionial, efficient, powerful, intuitive, and much more... However consumers love choice, and the App Model caters to that.

    HP you need to hurry on the Dev front. Bring the Apps!
  19. rickc1961's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #19  
    So I was an early adopter hoping the Touchpad would be an alternative option in the enterprise. My experience with it at work has continued to be disappointed with a lack of features and apps (see the touchpad in business thread).
    that aside, I have found myself gravitating more and more to the TP than my laptop or phone at home. Its the basic tablet paradigm of course but I am also finding the TP simply meets my needs.
    so I've decided to stick it out and bank on HP continuing to invest in the device and ecosystem.
    It is a risk, I will have to wait as the App Catalog grows and business functionality expands but I'm beyond declaring a "fail" at this point.
    TeamKillerJKFFL likes this.
  20. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    even without a gps, it seems to always know where I am.
    So does the touchpad, whenever I load maps it always locates me accurately.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions