Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgibstein View Post
    As the proud owner of a MacBook Pro, iPhone, and iPad 2, it's safe to say I love Apple products. But when people call me a ******, it ticks me off: I don't just like Apple products because I'm some brainwashed zombie; it's because I admire the elegance, design, breadth of apps, and focus on the user experience that their products embue.

That being said, I'm always curious about the other products in the technology space... is this Android phone more likely to suit my needs? is there a better tablet on the market than the iPad?
    ----------------------------------------
    A few months ago, a product that we now know as the HP TouchPad piqued my interest. After reading so many laudatory reviews about webOS on mobile phones, the fact that it was now coming to a 10" tablet made me that much more interested. Plus, the fact I never really had the chance to take the OS for a true test drive was making the TouchPad starting to look like a more viable option.

When the TouchPad reviews started hitting the interwebs, it was definitely disappointing to discover that the performance was sluggish and overall "not worth the money (at $499 for the 16 GB)." The consensus seemed to be that perhaps if HP worked out the kinks software-wise and shaved $100 off the pricetag, it'd be a win.

Fast forward to this past week: HP releases 3.0.2, the promised software-bug-fix extravaganza, and moreover offers $200 off the tablet (40%!). With a 14-day return policy as a safeguard, I couldn't help but resist the deal on the 10" tablet. At 300 bucks, this thing's gotta be worth it's value, right?

Here's where I stand right now after two days of fiddling around with this thing:

* The bezel/cards UI is awesome.
    * Syncing music with HPPlay is super simple-- wouldn't mind the workaround whatsoever.
    * It's pretty damn hefty. Makes my iPad 2 feel almost lightweight.
    * The screen and iPhone 3G-ish style back attract fingerprints like its their job.
    * There is a paltry selection of apps.
    * BeatsAudio means nothing.
    * Skype integration is neat.
    * iPhone apps are iffy at best when scaled to the iPad. webOS phone apps are not even manageable when scaled to the TouchPad (basically, no x2 button).
    * etc.

But, as an iPad owner, I'm kind of confused what I can do with this thing:

With my iPad, I enjoy news apps like Pulse, Reeder, and the New York Times. As far as I can tell, there are no such apps for the TouchPad (yes, I know there's USA today but c'mon). And while there is a New York TImes phone app, it does not scale full-screen which is miserable.

As an iPad owner, I enjoy playing games like NFS and Cut the Rope. Again, a far as I can tell, there are no superb TP games.

As an iPad owner, I love consuming media: HBOGO, Netflix, Hulu +, etc. But again, as far as I can tell there are no viable options (flash performance is slow, sorry).

Aas an iPad owner, I can read any ePub I desire... control my Apple TV... using the iWork suite on the go. Can I do those with the TouchPad (minus control Apple TV, of course)?* (* serious question)

I guess I'm just kinda confused with what I can/should be doing with this thing. Are there some killer apps I'm missing? Are there nifty features that truly help it stand out?

I want to like this thing, I really do, but as it stands now I'm going to be making a trip back to Best Buy sometime in the next twelve days.
    You do realize that the ipad has been out for almost 2 years and the Touchpad has been out for a little over a month right?
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickc1961 View Post
    So I was an early adopter hoping the Touchpad would be an alternative option in the enterprise. My experience with it at work has continued to be disappointed with a lack of features and apps (see the touchpad in business thread).
    that aside, I have found myself gravitating more and more to the TP than my laptop or phone at home. Its the basic tablet paradigm of course but I am also finding the TP simply meets my needs.
    so I've decided to stick it out and bank on HP continuing to invest in the device and ecosystem.
    It is a risk, I will have to wait as the App Catalog grows and business functionality expands but I'm beyond declaring a "fail" at this point.
    You've succintly expressed the problem of webos as it stands now; An excellent base OS but lacks the apps to really make it outstanding.
    Reminds me of BeOS in the 90's it had features then that OS's still lack today but failed due to lack of industry support. Hopefully HP will continue to pour in the resources that'll take webOS to the next level.
    KCTraveler likes this.
    i just think the build quality is still sub par... They need to change the plastic to something more high-quality feeling!

Also, my TP, overclocked to 1.7GHz (with the smooth patch), still can't scroll like a 1GHz iPad, nor can it pinch zoom like one

Oh yeah, opening apps still isn't instant.. takes a little bit.. but I don't really care about that...
    For me when using a friends iPad it was more of an entertainment device. The touchpad feels like it can soon be a real laptop replacement. I do most my work on it esp. With the Bluetooth keyboard. There are usually only a few things I need to go back to my laptop for. I have stopped taking my laptop to work and there are only one or two things usually I need to wait till I get home for. I think that most iPad users like the OP are coming from an entertainment perspective and trying to make the touchpad fit as well in that space, which at this point it does not. But as a work device, which for most iPad users never used their devices for that, it is much better because it flows better and is less aggravating. Would I like netflix-yes do I need it for work no. Can I really do work when I can't switch between emails easily, switch between half written emails, referring to something on the web and write up my WordPress updates, and get interrupted every time some dumb email comes in when I'm in the middle of a thought.-not really. I can wait for true document editing because I know it is coming but I can't make iOS work for me though it's a fun device to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    iPad 2 is productive because of the apps despite the OS. That is what makes it a powerful device. The TP is productive because of the OS despite the apps. In the end the apps will matter more because the OS can only accomplish so much. I don't blame the OP for being underwhelmed.
    Nor do I. I wish I could return my TP as well, but I can't. And no I don't own any other tablets nor any apple or android products save for an old GSM hero. As for the reader comparison. I constantly hear folks on this forum mention preader when some one says there is no decent ereading app on the TP, right now; there isn't accept it and hope that is soon not the case. Preader is not a very good ereader and not an acceptable compromise compared to other offerings in the market.

Fortunately, I do most of my ereading on an e-ink device.

to those that keep saying the TP is a "work" device and the ipad or any other tablet is mainly entertainment. Lets get this straight; ALL tablets are entertainment luxury items with the business end of it as a secondary thought at best. I suspect this will change with time to where they are just as common and more useful as laptops. Hell, tablets may even replace laptops at this rate.

If you think the TP is mostly a "business class" device while the competition is mainly entertainment, please tell me why and how you use it as such; seriously, I want to know. Email, synergy and the pretty card interface don't count; give me something substantial.

Honestly, I expect and hope that webos will out pace android in the tablet market unless something really drastic changes with the upcoming android updates. I have no expectations of it against apple; seems like whenever apple gets it's hooks in, they don't come out easily. But, as I said, I have to make purchasing decisions based on what is presently available, not what may be. I'm not an investor for pete sake
    Syndil likes this.
    I don't get why people keep buying things they don't really want. "Hey it's on sale i'm gonna buy it!" People just have money to burn. I don't care what tablet someone likes but i don't get the whole, "Hey i'm gonna buy a touchpad then the next day go online and post about how i don't like what i just bought." Just don't buy it in the first place.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    65fastback and hparsons like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I don't get why people keep buying things they don't really want. "Hey it's on sale i'm gonna buy it!" People just have money to burn. I don't care what tablet someone likes but i don't get the whole, "Hey i'm gonna buy a touchpad then the next day go online and post about how i don't like what i just bought." Just don't buy it in the first place.
    Huh? How is he suppose to know if he'll really like it or not it unless he gets it home and uses it? Store demos and reviews don't cut it; not to mention a lot of the reviews here are hardly fair either. He has 14 days to decide for certain; it's not like he bought it just to ***** about it. Come on, don't be daft.
    koolkid09 likes this.
    yeah until there are apps there isn't much reason to own a tp for me.

when me and my wife visit our friends with an ipad, they use their ipad for a remote and we play scrabble on it.

I'd like to be able to use a tablet for more then a web browser.

why, hp didn't pay app developers to get them on board is baffling.
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    Huh? How is he suppose to know if he'll really like it or not it unless he gets it home and uses it? Store demos and reviews don't cut it; not to mention a lot of the reviews here are hardly fair either. He has 14 days to decide for certain; it's not like he bought it just to ***** about it. Come on, don't be daft.
    Do what I did. Go to Best Buy and use it. I did. Nobody stopped me. Nobody interrupted me. I didn't have to rely on other people's review. I could do my own in person. Best Buy had 6 of them. I even posted the store i did it at before official launch in case anyone else was looking for a place to demo it. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3010559 I went to the store on multiple occasions and used the touchpad for free for at least a combined 2 hours and it was easy to determine the weight, the apps, how it worked, the interface, notices the lack of gestures, how media played, etc. I was underwhelmed too. I just didn't still buy the thing.

He's had it for like two or three days. What I find daft is wasting your hard earned money on something and then within two days complaining about how you spent that money when you could have just spent it wisely in the first place. It's ok to not like the TP. I just don't' get buying it in the first place.

I went to the store, tested the Touchpad and decided it wasn't for me. But i didn't then go buy it and then days later saying it wasn't for me. And then he goes to a forum to write one post, his first post, about his ipad? I don't get it. He's got an ipad 2 already. The whole thing strikes me as wasting money then venting afterwards.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 08/07/2011 at 08:31 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I had a pre and loved it. Bought this and am right in line with the op.

You can't test a device well in the store, that's crazy.

It's lacking behind all but qnx, but even that seems more solid and speedy.

Love cards, swiping, and synergy just wish up would get some darn apps.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    TP vs. iPad aside, +1000000 for being the about the third person to spell "pique" correctly on the Intarwebs. All is not lost.
    lukehale likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I had a pre and loved it. Bought this and am right in line with the op.

You can't test a device well in the store, that's crazy.

It's lacking behind all but qnx, but even that seems more solid and speedy.

Love cards, swiping, and synergy just wish up would get some darn apps.
    What apps did you think were available that aren't (and what led you to believe they were)?
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    also, head over to hulu.com and watch your favorite shows. It isn't quite as simple as on a PC, but it's really a nice thing that you can't do with iOS.
    There's an app for that

Hulu Plus for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    The way I see it is the pre and all it variants has been on the market for over 2 years and it didn't get app support. It actually lost suport instead. Why do people thing it will be different for the touchpad in a market dominated by Apple ?
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    OP-

The ONLY thing better about the ipad that matters to me is the apps.

I was a longtime Pre user until a few months ago. I didn't realize how important apps are, but now that I have owned an Android device since May, I just cant go back. I use the apps for too many things that my phone just cant do without them.

webOS as an operating system is better than iOS or Android. That is just plainly obvious to me. But none of the things that make webOS better than other platforms are deal-makers for me. I dont care that notifications are a little more obtrusive, I dont care that it takes a split second longer to kill an app, I dont care that the system menus arent as easy or intuitive.

This is something that a lot of webOS users are either unaware of or simply dont want to admit. I really do wish I could own a webOS device because I just love the OS that much. But until HP can get the developers back on board, I have to sit on the sidelines with my Nexus or whatever comes next. Its all about the apps.
    Actually, to some of us, notifications are a BIG deal. Flash is a BIG deal. A number row on the virtual keyboard is a BIG deal. having multiple apps running simultaneously is a BIG deal.

Having said that, good and plentiful apps is also a BIG deal. BUT, I think it is funny that you think webOS users are "unaware" or "don't want to admit" simply because we either disagree w/you or have different priorities (the OS vs Apps) than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What apps did you think were available that aren't (and what led you to believe they were)?
    I hve no clue until I bought itvbecause there is no way to browse the store online anymore.

I was thinking most of the $200 in phone apps would be scaled up. Dr podder, Grooveshark,mini piano, media remote, packntrack, radio habiki poster, my q, tumby to name a few.

I used my pre in the store and liked the cards.. Hated the bugs, lack of apps, and and battery life - to name a few things that aren't easy to find demoing inshore.

I have had it stutter 3 times today where taps wouldn't register and it would freeze momentarily.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    Actually, the original iPad came out with 10 000 apps (in Australia), not less than 300 as you say.
    funny. When it launched in the US it had like 3 apps. I had one, it was good for nothing but web browsing for a long time.
    Sharkonwheels, glazunov and Bokal like this.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    funny. When it launched in the US it had like 3 apps. I had one, it was good for nothing but web browsing for a long time.
    Please keep it factual, there were over 2,000. Also, iPhone apps could be easily resized using the 2X key (unlike the TP)

The Best iPad Apps At Launch | TechCrunch

Edit: And here we are 15 months out and there are over 65,000 iPad specific apps.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/built-in-apps/app-store.html

The Pre came out what? Two years ago and they have less than 5% of the iPad app count.

I'm hoping things turn around for HP/PALM, but the iPad is a pretty stronge force
    Last edited by genearch; 08/07/2011 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgibstein View Post
    One last tidbit: I read (and own a nook), but I'd like to be able to load my ePubs onto my daily tablet-- possibly a TouchPad... so, again, is it possible?
    preader will do that. It's free.

By the looks of it you are a classical conditioned user who uses apps, apps, apps. I guess us WebOS enthusiasts are less so. But as far as the app problems you brought up it looks like your main one you would like are a news/RSS reader, games, and media streamer. Here is a quick list of a few apps you may want to check out. And document editing is coming but it is just ridiculous that it isn't already.

news/RSS reader:
    -Mosaic Reader (I use this and just plug it into the news feeds. It has a very slick ui that I love)
    -Need for feeds

Games:
    -Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
    -Galcon Fusion
    -Robotek HD
    -Big Boss
    -Glyder 2 HD
    -Sparkle HD
    -Shrek Kart HD
    -Totemo HD
    -Atlantis Sky Patrol HD

Media Consumption:
    -HP Media Store
    -7digital MP3 Music
    -Box.net (this is what I use sense I have a trillion ripped movies)
    -Comics HD and Comic Shelf HD
    -Netflix and many Big name Magazine names were shown off at the Feb 9th event but as of yet they are not available in the app cat but there is no excuse for it not being here already
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    steffej3 and Bokal like this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast