Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Updated (Oct 13th 2011):
    Updated the post. Basically just install the app developed by Norf: http://forums.precentral.net/nelsun-...ve-mapper.html

Updated (Sep 7th 2011):
    Rewritten to include a method for stock kernel, make shares usable for KalemSoft Media Player & automount at (re)boot. Thx to everybody who contributed to this thread! (Under construction, finished later)

Updated (Aug 9th 2011): processed some comments from this thread and the fact that uberkernel now also supports CIFS (& NFS).

How to mount Network Shares

Time has passed and Norf has used some of his precious time to develop an awesome app, Enyo Network Drive Mapper, that will do all the hard work for you. Please refer to this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/nelsun-...ve-mapper.html

You'll still need to know some of the stuff I mentioned below:
    hostIP = IP address of the computer or NAS you want to connect to. You can use hostnames too, but need to also edit /etc/hosts then.
    sharename = The share name you want to connect to as configured on your computer/NAS
    mountpoint-path = as discussed above, e.g. /mnt/nas
    username & password = share login credentials. There are probably safer ways to do this instead of having this plain text on your device, anyone can tell me how to do that?

Enyo Network Drive Mapper also takes care of mounting the share and making the files available to some PDK apps like Kalemsoft Media Player, as long as you first launch Kalemsoft Media Player before mounting the network share. I don't know whether you have to unmount again before closing the mediaplayer too just to be safe.

I don't know whether the Enyo Network Drive Mapper also takes care of sticky mounting, i.e. remounting after a Touchpad reboot or network disconnect. I think not (yet).

-------------------------------

Original post:

Prerequisites:

- HP Touchpad, webOS 3.0.2 or later.
    - One of the following Kernels:
    ---- Stock kernel
    ---- Uberkernel 3.0.2-52 or later (Next to support for CIFS & NFS this kernel also supports UTF-8. More info here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...er-kernel.html
    ---- F15C,.. (completed later)
    - Terminal access to your TP, either via webOS Quick Install or Xecutah + Xserver + Xterm (install from preware)
    - Internalz Pro with show hidden files set to yes

Three parts:

This guide has three parts:
    1. Basic Mounting
    2. Mounting with shares visible in apps like Kalemsoft Media Player
    3. "Sticky" mounting: Auto mount at (re)boot

Definitions:

hostIP = IP address of the computer or NAS you want to connect to. You can use hostnames too, but need to also edit /etc/hosts then.
    sharename = The share name you want to connect to as configured on your computer/NAS
    mountpoint-path = as discussed above, e.g. /mnt/nas
    cifs = type of filesystem to mount (cifs is better version of smbfs, I've been told)
    auto (or can also be noauto) auto/noauto determines if the share is mounted automatically at startup.
    username & password = share login credentials. There are probably safer ways to do this instead of having this plain text on your device, anyone can tell me how to do that?
    rw = access mode, in this case read & write, other possibilities exist too
    The numbers have someting to do with filesystem check at boot.

1a: Basic Mounting (without fstab)

- Create a mountpoint, a path where the share will be accessible, e.g. /mnt/nas or /mnt/media/internal/nas I used Internalz Pro in master mode for this.
    - In a terminal type:
    mount.cifs //<hostIP>/<sharename> <mountpoint-path> -o username=<username>,password=<password>
    Example: mount.cifs //10.0.1.26/DataVolume /mnt/Shared -o username=foo,password=bar

1b: Basic Mounting (with fstab, not supported by stock kernel)

- Create a mountpoint, a path where the share will be accessible, e.g. /mnt/nas or /mnt/media/internal/nas I used Internalz Pro in master mode for this.
    - Open /etc/fstab again you can use Internalz Pro in master mode for this
    Add a line:
    //<hostIP>/<sharename> <mountpoint-path> cifs auto,username=<username>,password=<password>,rw 0 0

- Save the file
    - Open a terminal
    - type in this command:
    mount -t cifs //<hostIP>/<sharename> <mountpoint-path> -o username=<username>,password=<password>
    No idea whether all the -o options are still needed, as they are in the fstab line already as well.

Apparently mount -a should also mount your shares inside fstab. But for me that didn't work, maybe because I have it set to noauto.

This should do it.

Unmounting as follows:
    umount <mountpoint-path> e.g. umount /mnt/nas

2: Mounting with shares visible in apps like Kalemsoft Media Player

For now please refer to:
    Road to Success - How to allow NAS to show up under /media/internal on Touchpad Apps?
    http://forums.precentral.net/3128665-post70.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/3128969-post75.html

3: "Sticky" mounting: Auto mount at (re)boot

For now please refer to:
    Road to Success - Mounting SAMBA/CIFS Permanently on Touchpad
    Last edited by spud101; 10/13/2011 at 07:11 AM.
    This is pretty clever! Thanks for posting this!

ADD: one question though... Does anything bad happen if the share isn't available?
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    auto (or can also be noauto) some option regarding the mounting, no clue what it actually does.
    auto/noauto determines if the share is mounted automatically at startup.

No clue what the two 0s (zeroes) are there for.
    The numbers have someting to do with filesystem check at boot.

- type in this command:
    mount -t cifs //<hostIP>/<sharename> <mountpoint-path> -o username=<username>,password=<password>
    No idea whether all the -o options are still needed, as they are in the fstab line already as well.
    'mount -a' should be sufficient.
    Psion 3a > Palm IIIx > Sony CLIÉ NR70 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Palm Centro > Nokia N900
    > HP Veer & Touchpad
    We will add the cifs support to the UberKernel too.

-- Rod
    Put this in a wiki.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Put this in a wiki.
    Excellent. Where did you put it?

-- Rod
    Instead of CIFS, what about NFS shares for TouchPad to Unix/Linux NAS shares. Has anyone tried this? Does the Kernel support NFS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtime500 View Post
    Instead of CIFS, what about NFS shares for TouchPad to Unix/Linux NAS shares. Has anyone tried this? Does the Kernel support NFS?
    Both F15C and UberKernel support NFS, at least it says so in the descriptions in Preware and the kernelthreads (haven't tried it myself yet).
    Psion 3a > Palm IIIx > Sony CLIÉ NR70 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Palm Centro > Nokia N900
    > HP Veer & Touchpad
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thanks for the guide. I'm now able to access my NAS and see all my video collection.

Unfortunately, I don't manage to read my mp4 files. I copy one of them to the internal/media folder and I can read it though.

Has anyone succeeded to read mp4 files from a shared folder?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    auto/noauto determines if the share is mounted automatically at startup.
    Does this need to be set to auto for mount -a to work? Because mount -a doesn't work with noauto for me.

I'll update the OP soon, as uberkernel indeed now also supports cifs & nfs. Super great that webosjnternals so quickly added it after me trying to get this to work. When my creditcard monthly cycle is through I'll donate or purchase the homebrew documents app.
    Quote Originally Posted by phil71 View Post
    Thanks for the guide. I'm now able to access my NAS and see all my video collection.

Unfortunately, I don't manage to read my mp4 files. I copy one of them to the internal/media folder and I can read it though.

The "Open/Play" option on the TouchPad file manager apps doesn't work?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Updated the OP!
    Quote Originally Posted by phil71 View Post

I'm having the same problem. I'm using the latest UberKernel and I can see my network shares fine in Internalz Pro when I mount to /mnt/sharefolder. However, I can't make the files accessible in the /media/internal path.

I've tried mounting to /media/internal/sharefolder. When I do that, I can see my files via the WOSQI terminal, but they do not appear in Internalz Pro or in the KS Media Player.

I also tried creating a symbolic link to /mnt/sharefolder, but /media/internal is a FAT file system, so that didn't work.

Any ideas on getting my shared files visible to apps via /media/internal/ ?
    So I just added this to the latest build of warthog (3.0.2-39).

However, I have built cifs and nfs as modules instead of compiling it into the kernel. So I need people to help test this to make sure that the modules are being properly loaded and unloaded.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    So I just added this to the latest build of warthog (3.0.2-39).

However, I have built cifs and nfs as modules instead of compiling it into the kernel. So I need people to help test this to make sure that the modules are being properly loaded and unloaded.
    The modules are not automatically loaded.
    Code:
    lsmod
    Module                  Size  Used by
    ar6000                238552  0 [permanent]
    CIFS
    "insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko" loads the module without problems and I can mount shares from my Ubuntu Server. The full path is necessary, "insmod cifs.ko" doesn't work.

NFS
    Two modules (sunrpc.ko & lockd.ko) load fine. Trying to load nfs.ko results in an error.
    Code:
    insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/net/sunrpc/sunrpc.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs/lockd/lockd.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs/nfs/nfs.ko

insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.35-palm-tenderloin/kernel/fs/nfs/nfs.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module
    dmesg gives this output.
    Code:
    [ 3320.993789] RPC: Registered udp transport module.
    [ 3320.993809] RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
    [ 3321.001941] RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
    [ 3331.649022] nfs: Unknown symbol nlmclnt_proc (err 0)
    [ 3331.768063] nfs: Unknown symbol svc_gss_principal (err 0)
    [ 3331.770732] nfs: Unknown symbol nlmclnt_init (err 0)
    [ 3331.779452] nfs: Unknown symbol nlmclnt_done (err 0)
    [ 3375.295644] nfs: Unknown symbol svc_gss_principal (err 0)
    [ 4049.834199] nfs: Unknown symbol svc_gss_principal (err 0)
    [ 4057.571632] nfs: Unknown symbol svc_gss_principal (err 0)
    [ 4247.286141] nfs: Unknown symbol svc_gss_principal (err 0)
    [ 4271.222659] nfs: Unknown symbol svc_gss_principal (err 0)
    [ 4272.736239] nfs: Unknown symbol svc_gss_principal (err 0)
    I tried installing portmap but that didn't help.
    Code:
    ipkg-opt install portmap

Installing portmap (4-5) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable/portmap_4-5_arm.ipk
    Configuring portmap
    Successfully terminated.
    > HP Veer & Touchpad
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zentraed View Post
    I tried mounting to /media/internal/sharefolder. When I do that, I can see my files via the WOSQI terminal, but they do not appear in Internalz Pro or in the KS Media Player.
    Still weird. I have no idea how to fix that. I personally have no problem seeing the files in Internalz. They don't show up in KS Media Player, but I assumed that's because it's a PDK app.
    Pretty sure Jason (@jaycanuck) said he was looking into SMB shares for Internalz HD. Maybe he can make it an extra feature for those who have the respective kernel installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post

Apparently mount -a should also mount your shares inside fstab. But for me that didn't work, maybe because I have it set to noauto.
    'mount -a' is the command to mount everything from /etc/fstab. If it doesn't work there is probably something wrong with your /etc/fstab (i.e. some typing error).
    You can try 'mount /mountpoint/path' (i.e. mount /media/nas) to see if it gives an error.

When doing mount -t cifs etc. there is no reason to edit /etc/fstab.

update:
    I just tried it myself and 'mount -a' works. However, the share is not mounted at boot (which normally should be the case).

PS. This is with Uberkernel-36
    Last edited by phaedrus; 08/14/2011 at 11:23 AM.
    > HP Veer & Touchpad
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    For those of us who don't "play" Unix, is there a way with Uberkernel (which I have loaded) to get access to Windows shares? What's the arcane magic instructions?

Alan
    phaedrus, looks like you need to do the following for nfs

/lib/modules/2.6.35-palm-tenderloin/kernel/fs/nfs/nfs.ko: /lib/modules/2.6.35-palm-tenderloin/kernel/fs/lockd/lockd.ko /lib/modules/2.6.35-palm-tenderloin/kernel/net/sunrpc/auth_gss/auth_rpcgss.ko /lib/modules/2.6.35-palm-tenderloin/kernel/net/sunrpc/sunrpc.ko

so mount the dependent modules first including auth_rpcgss.ko
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast