Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
    What version of UberKernel are you running? CIFS support was not added until release 3.0.2-36. I received the same error until I updated to -36

Quote Originally Posted by TNLNYC View Post
    Forgot to mention I'm on a touchpad, not a pre, running uberkernel.
    2 questions

1.Is there anyway to mount a share using a website instead of the IP?
    2.when using an IP to mount a share is there a way to configure the port it connects on?
    apscs likes this.
    Is there anyway to automount on startup using mount.cifs? I was successful mounting through there, but not through fstab.
    This is exactly what I have been looking for!

Is there any way to create a CIFS patch without having to overclock the unit? I just want to be able to access my NAS without any overclocking. Is this functionality available in a program for me to stream from my NAS without any additional computer decoding?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by lostron View Post

Is there any way to create a CIFS patch without having to overclock the unit? I just want to be able to access my NAS without any overclocking. Is this functionality available in a program for me to stream from my NAS without any additional computer decoding?

Thanks!
    Installing UberKernel does not overclock by default.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Updated (Aug 9th 2011): processed some comments from this thread and the fact that uberkernel now also supports CIFS (& NFS).

It took me quite some time to get this working, but I really needed this to work or otherwise I felt like I had bought quite a useless tablet. I wanna be able to access all my content on my NAS.

In short: The stock kernel on a webOS 3.0.2 Touchpad does not support CIFS. Or at least I didn't get it to work just the same way I do get it to work out of the box on a 1.4.5 Pre-.

Then I saw this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...kernels-3.html
    It says CIFS support! So I hesitantly installed this experimental F15C kernel, quickly ran Govnah to set max speed to 1.5 GHz (I don't want no real overclocking beyond this speed). But, YES, it does work, I now can access my NAS!
    After I initially posted this thread webosinternals also added support for CIFS (& NFS) to the uberkernel (as of version 3.0.2-36). Thanks a lot for that guys!!

So how to go about:

- Install the F15C kernel from the testing kernel feed

The rest is standard linux stuff for mounting Samba shares:

- Create a mountpoint, a path where the share will be accessible, e.g. /mnt/nas or /mnt/media/internal/nas I used Internalz Pro in master mode for this.
    - Open /etc/fstab again you can use Internalz Pro in master mode for this
    Add a line:
    //<hostIP>/<sharename> <mountpoint-path> cifs auto,username=<username>,password=<password>,rw 0 0

hostIP = IP address of the computer or NAS you want to connect to. You can use hostnames too, but need to also edit /etc/hosts then.
    sharename = The share name you want to connect to as configured on your computer/NAS
    mountpoint-path = as discussed above, e.g. /mnt/nas
    cifs = type of filesystem to mount (cifs is better version of smbfs, I've been told)
    auto (or can also be noauto) auto/noauto determines if the share is mounted automatically at startup.
    username & password = share login credentials. There are probably safer ways to do this instead of having this plain text on your device, anyone can tell me how to do that?
    rw = access mode, in this case read & write, other possibilities exist too
    The numbers have someting to do with filesystem check at boot.

- Safe the file
    - Open a terminal
    - type in this command:
    mount -t cifs //<hostIP>/<sharename> <mountpoint-path> -o username=<username>,password=<password>
    No idea whether all the -o options are still needed, as they are in the fstab line already as well.

Apparently mount -a should also mount your shares inside fstab. But for me that didn't work, maybe because I have it set to noauto.

This should do it.

Unmounting as follows:
    umount <mountpoint-path> e.g. umount /mnt/nas

Note: as soon as you have a kernel running that supports CIFS, you can also use the xt tools. See this thread and the threads referenced inside it. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...rt-thread.html
    The xt tools will take over all the fstab editing and directory creation.

I agree this is still cumbersome. On an Android phone for example this is buildin in every decent filemanager. So I really, really hope that either or both Gemini and Internals HD will have some easy solution for this (both configuring and the actual mounting/unmounting). Or a solution straight from HP, this is also aimed at enterprise market after all!
    Is there a way that the shared (mounted) folder shows up in /media/internal/<dir>/ ? I tried all day but was only able to mount it to /mnt/<dir> . I want to be able to see my shared folder videos in the KalemSoft Media player as it plays all the formats but it only shows contents of /media/internal/ folder. This way I don't have to copy each and even video first using the Internalz Pro.
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lostron View Post

Thanks!
    Have you tried the original kernel with mount.cifs first?
    I tried this but kept on getting errors so i gaveup and installed tbtransfer and im happy to say its worked very good for my needs.
    I do not know if the webOS kernel supports this option, but in many linux and solaris kernels, whenever I mount nfs or cifs, I always use the bg option. What bg does is if the mount point fails at startup, it will retry it in the background. Without this option, if the mount point isn't there (ie: if you're not on the same network or not able to connect to your mount point), it will not hold the system up from continuing to boot. The bg option can be used in congruence with the rw option. So if you're using rw (read-write), you can do: rw,bg (separated by a comma)

Again, I haven't tested this on my Touchpad, but anyone who is trying this may want to give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Have you tried the original kernel with mount.cifs first?
    I tried that already and I get an error - cifs not supported..
    I followed all of the instructions on the first post. Similar to others with this problem, I have the latest UberKernel from Preware, but when attempting to mount a Windows 7/64 partition, I get:

With mount -t cifs
    mount: mounting //192.168.1.112/g on /mnt/g failed: No such device

With mount.cifs
    mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized that the version of uberKernel I'm using is straight from default Preware and not from the testing repository. I didn't realize I wasn't on Uberkernel-36. Updating fixed it. If anyone else is having the same problem, you probably fell for the same trap as me - assuming the latest Uberkernel is installed by default in Preware. It's not - it's in a testing package.
    Last edited by Deadtaco; 08/30/2011 at 12:10 AM.
    Can you please tell me where to find the -36 version? I cannot find it in any of the test feeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by golemanbb22 View Post
    Can you please tell me where to find the -36 version? I cannot find it in any of the test feeds.
    Read the TestingFeeds Wiki page again.

-- Rod
    Just did, Uberkernel -36 working like a champ. thanks
    watching this thread with interest. I don't quite follow he method (only just got a TP, have basic Unix skills, not sure how you get a terminal session up etc). If someone does a noon guide I'm all over it...
    Would be nice if there was an easier way to accomplish this, such as a program with a GUI. I suspect this will be coming sooner rather than later.
    Haven't seen much talk about mounting NFS shares, but just thought I'd post this in case any one else runs into the same problem. I tried mounting my nfs share on my touchpad and kept getting this error:

Code:
    mount: mounting 192.168.0.128:/mnt/raid on /media/internal/nfs failed: Connection refused
    and dmesg showed:
    Code:
    [  883.951900] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 111).
    The nfs server showed my touchpad ip as authenticating successfully and I have no issues with any other linux machines connecting to it. I ended up 'fixing' this temporarily by adding 'nolock' to the mount options.

Edit: I'm running Uberkernel-36
    HI!

OK, got it working now

The Problem is Kalem or the internal Player!

Touchplayer does it right to me but my wish would be Touchplayer has the same GUI like Kalem.
    Or otherwise Kalem would support NAS. ( dont really not know why it dont! )
    Oh and just for the record, I am using a Touchpad 32 GB

EDIT:
    Well maybe not a main Problem of the Player!
    By using Internalz Files only will be shown when "show hidden Files" is enabled.

So the mount is hidden why ever.........

Is there an other mount option to make this work?
    I used this one:

mount.cifs //192.168.2.110/mp3 /media/internal/mp3 -o username=guano,password=pass

But also:

mount -t cifs //192.168.2.110/mp3 /media/internal/mp3 -o username=guano,password=pass

doesnt make a difference.

So what can we do...............Touchplayer sucks!

EDIT2:
    Tried the "unhide" parameter in fstab but still doesnt work

EDIT3:
    Okay, got a clue.
    If i mount in /mnt/mp3 for example the files arent hidden by default.
    So the problem is the /media/internal/xxx Folder which is hidden by default.......

Any Ideas ?
    Last edited by guano30; 09/01/2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Sam4u likes this.
    I think I find a way to mount SAMBA/CIFS permanently ( Road to Success - Mounting SAMBA/CIFS Permanently on Touchpad ) and allow it to show up under /media/internal for webos apps ( Road to Success - How to allow NAS to show up under /media/internal on Touchpad Apps? ).
    vrrr likes this.
    Well hey cool somebody thought also about this mess with the TP.

Is there no other way to "manipulate" Kalem to show hidden Folders / Files?
    Internalz is able to do this...........why Kalem isnt?

If we were able to let Kalem search in for example /mnt/mp3 we will win........
    Is it more difficult as your way ? @teng_lin

Are there no config Files which says Kalem where to search?
    Had an Idea with the Favorites but where are they? I stored a few but in the Kalem Folder "Favorites" there are no files..........
    confusing!
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast