webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > How To: Connect TP to network shares
How To: Connect TP to network shares
Like Tree53Likes

Old 08/14/2011, 01:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
Still weird. I have no idea how to fix that. I personally have no problem seeing the files in Internalz. They don't show up in KS Media Player, but I assumed that's because it's a PDK app.
Are you sure you mounted to /media/internal if I do that I won't see anything in Internalz either. If I mount to /mnt I will see them in Internalz. But then the music apps won't see my media.
rhodry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/14/2011, 02:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
so mount the dependent modules first including auth_rpcgss.ko
That was the on I missed.

CIFS
Unloading the module using 'rmmod cifs' works as expected.

NFS
All modules load and unload without problems, only sunrpc cannot unload because the module is in use.

I have not yet succeeded in mounting a NFS share, but I´ll try a bit more.
Thanked By: Downtime500
Old 08/15/2011, 09:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The command mount -t cifs //<hostIP>/<sharename> <mountpoint-path> -o username=<username>,password=<password> was used to make the connection in post #1 and later.
Did anyone try
mount.cifs //<hostIP>/<sharename> <mountpoint-path> -o username=<username>,password=<password>
without using a modified kernel? It works in the emulator and Pre2 all without any kernel mods.
PreRunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 01:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
The command mount -t cifs //<hostIP>/<sharename> <mountpoint-path> -o username=<username>,password=<password> was used to make the connection in post #1 and later.
Did anyone try
mount.cifs //<hostIP>/<sharename> <mountpoint-path> -o username=<username>,password=<password>
without using a modified kernel? It works in the emulator and Pre2 all without any kernel mods.
"mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the filesystem"
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 03:50 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodry View Post
Are you sure you mounted to /media/internal if I do that I won't see anything in Internalz either. If I mount to /mnt I will see them in Internalz. But then the music apps won't see my media.
So, I can get network drives mounted under /media/internal just fine (e.g., /media/internal/mynetworkdrive) and Internalz Pro sees the contents it but I can't get anything to open that Internalz doesn't have a viewer for (like *.jpgs or *.txt).

It is great to have access to network drives and copy files back and forth . . . but it would be really great to actually have OS access to the files. Opening a music or doc file gets me to where the music app or QuickOffice loads but then I get an error. Anybody know how to get past this limitation? Internalz Pro can see them but no other app . . .

This is also an issue I'm running into when using UbuntuChroot (I can see the files, copy back and forth but not open them w/o copying to a local folder) so - I don't know - is it even a related limitation?
Old 08/16/2011, 05:07 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
Anybody know how to get past this limitation? Internalz Pro can see them but no other app . . .
I thought about the problem and really also would like to have access to all my data in my network.

One problem I see: the automatic indexing for music and pictures (e.g. thumbnail generation) would take really long if you have big folders. My pictures folder @home is about 7GB with thousands of files (and thats not much) and I don't see how I could browse through that with a Pre or Touchpad without those indexing. And then there is the WiFi connection that sometimes really is slow (even with N standard)

I'm going to create some "webservices" for my files to be independent from on-device support. E.g. I'm currently configuring Zenphoto - Simpler web gallery management to have access via web to all my family fotos. Thumbnail generation is on serverside and it's accessible via all devices browsers

Mounting samba shares still comes in handy when transferring some music to my webOS device
Olodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 10:45 AM   #27 (permalink)

Excellent information everyone!
runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 11:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
"mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the filesystem"
Used the Pre3 emulator and it works for that as well, no kernel mods needed.
Old 08/22/2011, 11:37 PM   #29 (permalink)

all we need now is VLC ported - or dare I ask for XBMC

Well done!
sjp770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 04:43 PM   #30 (permalink)

Hi,

I am newto the touch pad (courtesy of the hp firesale) and have some experience of unix/linux. I was trying to find a way to connect to a windows vista share when I came accross this post but am having trouble. I have installed the latest uberkernel using the preware installer and then tried to follow you instructions to no affect and was wondering if you could give me few pointers.

The steps I have done are as follows.

Vista machine name home
Vista machine IP 192.168.1.5
share a directory d:\temp with access to everybody
installed uberkernal
installed xserver and xterm to run command line, can't seem to find a simpler terminal.

created a folder on the TP /mnt/win

run mount as follows

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.5/temp /mnt/win -o username=myname,password=mypass

I then get the following
mount: mounting //192.168.1.5/temp on /mnt/win failed: No such device

The message is immediate so I guess it isn't tring to connect to the windows machine and must be something to do with the mount point or lack of cifs support though I would have though it would complain about that.

Am i missing a vital step or should I switch to the F15C kernel although this doesn't show up in Preware so not sure how to do that yet.

Regards
P.
dizzyandlofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Sam4u likes this.
Thanked by ichi2k, Nightburn
Old 08/25/2011, 05:30 PM   #31 (permalink)

I found the kernel testing feed looking for F15C, couldn't find it still but did then get an update to uberkernel 3.0.2-36 which addedthe actual cifs support.

Thankyou for all the other information.

Cheers
P.
dizzyandlofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 08:22 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp770 View Post
all we need now is VLC ported - or dare I ask for XBMC

Well done!
Check out the TouchPlayer - ffmpeg player. It works to open media files from samba shares!
Old 08/25/2011, 10:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyandlofty View Post
I found the kernel testing feed looking for F15C, couldn't find it still but did then get an update to uberkernel 3.0.2-36 which addedthe actual cifs support.

Thankyou for all the other information.

Cheers
P.
Its confirmed that cifs is in stock kernels for TP and Pre3. See TP at Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm and Pre 3 at Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm
Did you try mount.cifs rather than mount -t cifs?
Old 08/26/2011, 04:52 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentraed View Post
I've tried mounting to /media/internal/sharefolder. When I do that, I can see my files via the WOSQI terminal, but they do not appear in Internalz Pro or in the KS Media Player.

Any ideas on getting my shared files visible to apps via /media/internal/ ?
I had the same issue until I went into Internelz Pro preferences and turned ON show hidden. KS Media Player still could not see any files in the sharefolder. Give TouchPlayer a try in preware.

Last edited by sweener; 08/26/2011 at 03:33 PM.
sweener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2011, 08:26 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyandlofty View Post
Hi,

I am newto the touch pad (courtesy of the hp firesale) and have some experience of unix/linux. I was trying to find a way to connect to a windows vista share when I came accross this post but am having trouble. I have installed the latest uberkernel using the preware installer and then tried to follow you instructions to no affect and was wondering if you could give me few pointers.

The steps I have done are as follows.

Vista machine name home
Vista machine IP 192.168.1.5
share a directory d:\temp with access to everybody
installed uberkernal
installed xserver and xterm to run command line, can't seem to find a simpler terminal.

created a folder on the TP /mnt/win

run mount as follows

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.5/temp /mnt/win -o username=myname,password=mypass

I then get the following
mount: mounting //192.168.1.5/temp on /mnt/win failed: No such device

The message is immediate so I guess it isn't tring to connect to the windows machine and must be something to do with the mount point or lack of cifs support though I would have though it would complain about that.

Am i missing a vital step or should I switch to the F15C kernel although this doesn't show up in Preware so not sure how to do that yet.

Regards
P.
followed your post and got it working, thx to you and OP (btw I used mount.cifs instead of mount -t cifs)
ichi2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2011, 11:20 PM   #36 (permalink)

I am getting the below error. Running uberkernel 3.0.2-36. I can mount this location just fine on my Android phone with CIFS Manager. Any ideas? Using mount -t cifs also doesnt work.

Thanks in advance!

root@HPTouchPad:/var/home/root# mount.cifs -t //192.168.1.155/1/Videos /mnt/win -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx
mount.cifs -t //192.168.1.155/1/Videos /mnt/win -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx

Mounting the DFS root for domain not implemented yet
No ip address specified and hostname not found
karmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2011, 11:39 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmak View Post
I am getting the below error. Running uberkernel 3.0.2-36. I can mount this location just fine on my Android phone with CIFS Manager. Any ideas? Using mount -t cifs also doesnt work.

Thanks in advance!

root@HPTouchPad:/var/home/root# mount.cifs -t //192.168.1.155/1/Videos /mnt/win -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx
mount.cifs -t //192.168.1.155/1/Videos /mnt/win -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx

Mounting the DFS root for domain not implemented yet
No ip address specified and hostname not found
Remove -t after mount.cifs.

Is there a way to get utf8 support?
I got "mount error 79 = can not access a needed shared library" when I set iocharset=utf8 in the mount.cifs command.
Where is the utf8 kernel module?
qingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2011, 02:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

It looks like CIFS is not supported on the WD MyBook NAS. I followed the instructions step by steps

Drive is at 10.0.1.26

mount -a cifs //10.0.1.26/DataVolume/Public /mnt/Shared -o username=foo,password=bar

gives me
mount: mounting //10.0.1.26/DataVolume/Public on /mnt/Shared failed: No such device

and
mount.cifs //10.0.1.26/DataVolume/ /mnt/Shared -o username=foo,password=bar

returns:
mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Any ideas?
TNLNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2011, 02:20 PM   #39 (permalink)

Thank you! Works perfectly. No issues streaming any media I have tried yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingz View Post
Remove -t after mount.cifs.
karmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2011, 02:26 PM   #40 (permalink)

Forgot to mention I'm on a touchpad, not a pre, running uberkernel.
TNLNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: robvanvliet

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0