Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sf3000 View Post
    If this is true, then OP need to update his original post with the part that stock doesn't support CIFS.

OP also need to mention the need to mkdir before mount or mount.cifs (stock)

For Stock Kernel, following is the easiest procedure to access nas/network shares
    To invoke a terminal, in WebOS Quick Install v4.2.3, go to Tools -> Terminal

Type:

mkdir /mnt/nas
    mount.cifs //192.168.x.x/pub /mnt/nas
    ln -s /mnt/nas /media/internal/nas

I am at work now, so I can't test the above, especially the ln part...
    Thanks for your steps, I managed to mount my share with your first two lines of instructions. For the third line, I got an error. Still, I was able to use TouchPlayer to play my mp3 but Touchplayer graphics was totally screwed up as it just shows different colored dots on the lower 1/4 of the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by vrrr View Post
    These instructions are AWESOME! I followed these instructions and everything works except for 2 things:

1. In the fstab entry, iocharset=utf8 doesnt work for me. I get an error when trying to mount using this option. It does mount if i take it out though.

2. The inbuilt native photo/video and music apps STILL dont see the shared files though!!! This is the last problem to be solved. I dont want to use kalemsoft b/c its not using the gpu.
    Are there any fixes for this? (MOST IMPORTANT)

Ive modified the various jail entries to mount my share as per the instructions and setup an ext3 partition teng_lin can i donate $10 to you to show my appreciation (if you are the original author for your notes)? I dont see instructions for the ext3 part and jail files part anywhere on the web so i presume you are the original author?
    Hi, sorry to sound so stupid but I don't know linux and just got a TP. I managed to mount my has as a share but I read from the thread that I could add some lines into fstab. Unfortunately for me, I don't see the /etc/fstab folder and even when I tried to create it with Internalz Pro, I got an error "Unable to create directory". Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by tengheng; 09/26/2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Found out that fstab is a file in folder etc. So question is not relevant anymore.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    anybody said that its possible to mount shares with stock kernel.

is this really possible and what must i do that it works ?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Thanks to those with the mounting instructions. I can get my server's contents mounted via CIFS properly. However, I'm also running in to the same issue that everyone has- apps cannot read the contents of the network share. Is it correct that all apps are jailed, and because of that they do not have access to the local filesystem outside of the jail?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Here is a modified version based on jeroend's original script to fulfill what you said about mounting multiple shared dirs.
    In this example, I have four shared dirs to be mounted:
    //your.own.hostname/dir1
    //your.own.hostname/dir2
    //your.own.hostname/dir3
    //your.own.hostname/dir4
    And I want to mount them both inside the "/media/internal/mnt" as well as in the jailed area.
    Tested and working without problem for my own mount. I personally like to keep mounting and unmounting two separate script. But you can easily merge them into one with a command line option flag. Feel free to modify it to suite your own need. It is basically shell scripting.

mymnt.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/ash

USERNAME=your_own_username
    PASSWORD=your_own_password

SERVER=//your.own.hostname
    FOLDERLIST="dir1 dir2 dir3 dir4"

for FOLDER in $FOLDERLIST
    do 
      LOCALMOUNT="/media/internal/mnt/${FOLDER}"
      if [ ! -e "${LOCALMOUNT}" ]
      then
        mkdir "${LOCALMOUNT}"
      fi
      if grep -qs "$LOCALMOUNT" /proc/mounts
      then
          echo "Skipping because mount exists: $LOCALMOUNT"
      else
          echo "Adding mount: $LOCALMOUNT"
          mount.cifs $SERVER/$FOLDER $LOCALMOUNT -o username=${USERNAME},password=${PASSWORD},ro,iocharset=utf8
      fi  

cd /var/palm/jail || exit "error 1"

for DIR in `find . -maxdepth 3 -mindepth 3 -type d -name "internal"`
      do
        cd $DIR
        JAILMOUNT=`pwd`/mnt/${FOLDER}
        if [ -e "${JAILMOUNT}" ]
        then
          if grep -qs "$JAILMOUNT" /proc/mounts
          then
              echo "Skipping because mount exists: $JAILMOUNT"
          else
              echo "Adding mount: $JAILMOUNT"
              mount.cifs $SERVER/$FOLDER $JAILMOUNT -o username=${USERNAME},password=${PASSWORD},ro,iocharset=utf8
          fi
          cd - > /tmp/NULL
        else
          echo "Skipping because target path does not exist: $JAILMOUNT"
        fi
      done
    done
    myumnt.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/ash

FOLDERLIST="dir1 dir2 dir3 dir4"

for FOLDER in $FOLDERLIST
    do 
      LOCALMOUNT="/media/internal/mnt/${FOLDER}"
      if grep -qs "$LOCALMOUNT" /proc/mounts
      then
          echo "Unmounting $LOCALMOUNT"
          umount "$LOCALMOUNT"
      fi  

for DIR in `find . -maxdepth 3 -mindepth 3 -type d -name "internal"`
      do
        cd $DIR
        JAILMOUNT=`pwd`/mnt/${FOLDER}
        if grep -qs "$JAILMOUNT" /proc/mounts
        then
            echo "Unmounting $JAILMOUNT"
            umount "$JAILMOUNT"
        fi
        cd - > /tmp/NULL
      done
    done

Quote Originally Posted by kahmeal View Post
    I have these working but is there any way to modify this script to support more than one share? My media is located on separate shares like //server/music, //server/movies, //server/tv, etc etc. I'd like to stay away from the fstab solution and this seems like it would be perfect if the script could just mount/unmount more than one share.

Also, is it possible to combine both mounting and unmounting into one script file with a "-option" (what is the technical term for this?) to choose between the two operations?

Sorry for all the questions >.<
    Last edited by sinepi; 09/26/2011 at 07:39 PM.
    plucker likes this.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thanks for a great method. This is by far the most elegant way to mount/umount shares. The Kalemsoft Media Player definitely works. However, even with this implementation, there are a lot of apps that cannot display contents on the mounted share dirs. For example, pReader Native, Audiophile HD, etc. Although shared dirs are mounted correctly in the jailed area, i.e. you can see the files using ls command in terminal or using InternalZ, but the app still cannot find those files. Does anybody else have similar problem and how to work around? Thanks.

Here is a list of apps that do or do not work with this implementation:
    Apps that can find those mounted shares:
    - Kalemsoft Media Player
    - Gemini File Manager
    - Touch Player
    Apps that can NOT find those mounted shares:
    - pReader Native
    - AudiophileHD

Please add your own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroend View Post
    Hey all,

First of all, thanks for all the tips, now I can finally mount my nas on my TP.

I tried to go one step further and I created a script which will iterate every directory in '/var/palm/jail' and mount my nas inside each and every application found there.

Here is the script to mount the nas (I called it 'mnt.sh')

And this script will unmount then (I called this 'umnt.sh')

Of course you will have to replace the username, password, url and mount point (lines 3 to 7) with the correct values.

I'd advise you put these scripts inside '/bin', that way you can use them from everywhere in xterm.

Warning
    To be able to execute these scripts in xterm they need to be saved with Linux line-endings, and Internalz Pro defaults to Windows line-endings. Luckily you can configure this (Tnx @rwhitby for pointing this out). Just look for 'newline format' in Internalz Pro's settings and change it to 'Linux'.

For the webOS developers out there
    I'd love it if you created a simple app with 2 buttons ('mount' and 'unmount') which would then basically execute the logic from these scripts. Of course also throw in a way to enter the username/password and stuff. I'd really love it if such a program appeared in my preware :-)
    Last edited by sinepi; 09/26/2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I can't get this to work out, but I had success last night with splashtop remote desktop. Load a server app onto your PC, then you access your PC from the touchpad. And I played a video and it played smooth just within the remote desktop. This has....possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinepi View Post
    Here is a modified version based on...
    Thanks for the script jeroend and sinepi. I've been (slowly!) working on putting together a gui for mounting shares and your script helped get those at least some touchpad apps (Gemini etc.) seeing the files. I need to modify the unmounting code and detecting what's already mounted. Once that's done I'll look to get an alpha release out with the aim to get a fully operational ipk in to Preware once it's stable.

Currently, I've been using a personally patched version of the Internalz Pro service as it has all the permissions in place for running the scripts. I have tried (and tried!) getting my own service to install with the correct permissions... but I'm failing epically. Is there anyone out there willing or able to help a windows noob package up a service in such a way it will install with the permissions needed to run shell scripts? I've looked at Jason's ipk packager and fumbled around with preinst scripts but they never get everything in the right place. hmph! Got to go now and probably won't get a chance to check in until tomorrow as home life is just a tad busy ATM.
    Last edited by Norf; 09/27/2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: excesive quoting!
    AcapulcoRolf likes this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I hope to finally update the original post again in the coming weeks...
    Does this work with "Music Player Remix"?
    does this mount procedure work for WebDav shares as well?
    for e.g.' can I mount to http://www.box.net/dav and access it from touch player?

it would be cool if it does:-)

btw, the browser is able to connect to webdav share and browse files...
    Ok... I now have an alpha version of an enyo front-end and node + sh service for managing, mounting and dismounting shares. If anyone knows their way around a command prompt PM me and I'll send you a link.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Norf View Post
    Ok... I now have an alpha version of an enyo front-end and node + sh service for managing, mounting and dismounting shares. If anyone knows their way around a command prompt PM me and I'll send you a link.
    Click to view quoted image
    Brilliant idea!
    Sweet

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Looks really great! I'm looking forward to install this on my device.
    Thank you putting up together the mount/unmount.sh files. Great job. I am looking forward to the app. looks promising

Thank you guys!!!
    Hmm warthog doesn't support cifs? i got this error message, mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system.
    Last edited by zzricezz; 10/01/2011 at 08:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroend View Post
    Hey all,

First of all, thanks for all the tips, now I can finally mount my nas on my TP.

I tried to go one step further and I created a script which will iterate every directory in '/var/palm/jail' and mount my nas inside each and every application found there.

Here is the script to mount the nas (I called it 'mnt.sh')
    Code:
    #!/bin/ash

server=//<server-ip>/<folder>
    password=<mysecret>
    folder=<the-directory-name-to-be-created-inside-/media/internal>
    user=<username>

if [ ! -e "/media/internal/$folder" ]
    then
        mkdir "/media/internal/$folder"
    fi

for dir in `find . -maxdepth 3 -mindepth 3 -type d -name "internal"`
    do
        cd $dir
        fullmount=`pwd`/$folder
        if grep -qs "$fullmount" /proc/mounts
        then
            echo "Skipping $fullmount because mount exists"
        else
            echo "Adding mount in $fullmount"
            mount -t cifs $server -o "username=${user},password=${password}" "$fullmount"
        fi
        cd - > /tmp/NULL
    done
    Thanks for the help jeroend. I copied and pasted the exact code for mnt.sh (i put in my own parameters) but when I run it I get the following error. I'm not much of a Linux or scripting guy so a little extra help would be great. - Thanks!

root@DansHPTouchPad:/bin# mnt.sh
    /bin/mnt.sh: line 7: *: not found
    /bin/mnt.sh: line 12: *: not found
    /bin/mnt.sh: line 14: *: not found
    root@DansHPTouchPad:/bin#
    ^Those errors look like the script has windows line endings rather than unix ones. Try opening the script in Internalz and re-saving it on the device. On Windows I use a program called UltraEdit to convert line endings from Windows to Unix.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Internalz has a setting in the preferences section that by default is set to windows line endings. You need to change it to linux/unix and resave the file.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast