Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By speedtouch
  • 1 Post By addiarmadar
  1.    #1  
    with box.net, I wanna see if I can play avi, mkv, divx, mp4 files right on my ipad! is it possible?
    Yep. Get the KalemSoft Media Player from the App Catalog.
    dandman8 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    any free one? 7 bucks is a lot for a media player!
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    any free one? 7 bucks is a lot for a media player!
    It is a lot. But it works. I don't know of any free players.
    yes.. free one coming in september along with 999 other apps. but i can't tell which year though. in the meantime it's still Kalemsoft.
    kalem isn't free? I got it straight from their website for free. Did I miss something? Did I grab a trial version? I haven't tried playing anything yet...so I don't know if I need to pay and register it.
    You got the PC client that will stream media to your TouchPad app.

Err, never mind, maybe not.....hmmmm
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    not to hijack the op thread but I am a newbie and have the same question.
    The TP will not read the .avi movies I have. If I purchase that app will it auto convert or just recognize the .avi format and play it anyway on the touchpad.

Is it easier to get the app or just purchase converter software to covert the format.

Sorry for basic questions- still on a learning curve.

I did btw spend a little time with my son's Galaxy tab 10 this weekend trying to decide whether to keep or send back my 2 TPs (wife and mine) After spending little time with the Android tab- keeping the Touchpads. Plus we both have Palm phones- waiting for Pre3.

Thanks for the help on the format conversion. I really don't understand about all that stuff.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    not to hijack the op thread but I am a newbie and have the same question.
    The TP will not read the .avi movies I have. If I purchase that app will it auto convert or just recognize the .avi format and play it anyway on the touchpad.

Is it easier to get the app or just purchase converter software to covert the format.

Sorry for basic questions- still on a learning curve.

I did btw spend a little time with my son's Galaxy tab 10 this weekend trying to decide whether to keep or send back my 2 TPs (wife and mine) After spending little time with the Android tab- keeping the Touchpads. Plus we both have Palm phones- waiting for Pre3.

Thanks for the help on the format conversion. I really don't understand about all that stuff.
    Purchase the software. Conversion is a PITA now matter how powerful your desktop is. Also try playon, the free version allows streaming of files over network to your pad.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    The app is more than usual but think of the savings to your power bill on not having to convert the vids on your computer over time. Its worth every penny!
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    didiseven likes this.
    totally worth it - conversion is such a pita
    It'd be more worth it if 720p and 1080p mkv files played without lag, though I'll still probably buy it. (I only tested with the trial ipk on the Kalemsoft site).

In fact, I've got 720p mp4 files that play PERFECTLY in the built-in movie player that lag in Kalemsoft.

I love the idea of not needing to convert everything another time for the Touchpad, but as most of my movies these days are the aforementioned rips from Blu-ray discs, that ends up not being the case.