Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I would love to try out the TouchPad, but every store I go to, the demo unit is somehow broken. At the local Best Buy, the wifi wouldn't connect. At the local Staples, the power cord was loose and the unit wouldn't charge. I hope this isn't a sign of shoddy manufacturing. It sure won't help in selling the darn things.
    I have to say that there is nothing worse than demo units that simply do not work. That's not only applicable with the TP but even with mobile phones on demo instores.

I've had my TP now for about a week having never owned anything by HP before.. and I love it however I believe that the device is still very much in its infancy with a heap more to come.

I too was unable to properly test the TP out in Best Buy in Derby due to poor WIFI signals which was annoying, but the WebOS and Beats Audio sold it for me. (I originally was going in to get the Motorola Xoom)

As for build quality, the TP feels solid and well built. Sound quality is also very good and so is the screen.

The OTA update will help make the TP a bit more snappier and reduce a few lag issues.

A few of my friends were surprised by my decision to opt for the TP over an Android device, but I think I've made a good purchase, which has a whole load of potential.

Until there is a a proper document editing suite for the TP I don't think it can be considered a 5 star device, nor can it really begin to differentiate and stand out from the rest of the flock.

From a happy TP owner to a potential owner, if you do get one, I really don't think that you will be disappointed, infact I think you will be excited about its potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by iradeut View Post
    I would love to try out the TouchPad, but every store I go to, the demo unit is somehow broken. At the local Best Buy, the wifi wouldn't connect. At the local Staples, the power cord was loose and the unit wouldn't charge. I hope this isn't a sign of shoddy manufacturing. It sure won't help in selling the darn things.
    It's not shoddy manufacturing as far as I can tell. It's just the retail establishment neglecting the device. I have the same experience as you when I go to Best Buy, the TP is always dead.
    good luck finding a working demo unit, before buying I found 1 working out of probably 4 stores (best buy and staples). Problems such as: no power at display table, micro usb tip broke off, charger just not working. All of these I saw weren't due to the actual touchpad being broken.
    Today I too ran across a TouchPad with a charging problem, at the Post Exchange at Fort Hood, Texas. It had what appeared to be a damaged USB connector on the device. To get it to charge I had to angle the micro USB connector upward while it was inserted, and lean the device in such a way that it held at this angle. It was in a sad state when I first saw it -- black screen, no battery power at all. I got it charging, downloaded a few no-brainer free apps that would help enhance its allure and also installed the 3.0.2 update, though unfortunately since it had to be at 50% charge to install, once downloaded I had to leave the device for another day.

The TouchPad was on a nice display with probably six different HP laptops, though the signage and literature for the TP was minimal -- just a few sentences, rather undersold.

I really enjoyed playing around with it while I waited for the downloads to finish, and quite liked the app catalog magazine.

One thing I was surprised by is that I didn't find the swiping right-to-left to turn the pages intuitive at first, which is to say, it took a while for me to figure out how to make it change pages. Minutes. And I've been obsessed with WebOS since getting my Pre Plus last year.

Any time I come across a TouchPad at a store, I have to play with it. This is the first I found with the USB port problem, but hopefully the last.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    The USB port problem you are seeing isn't because of the build quality, but because of sales people and customers who don't care. I've worked electronics for many years and you constantly see customers pull out cords hard and try and slam them back into the port the wrong way (either upside down or at weird angles) and keep prying to get them to fit. In the end the demo devices take an unnecessary beating and the power cords and plugs are the first to go bad because of the prying.
    Never underestimate how people will abuse an item they do not own and don't have to pay for. Poor demo units. My touchpad works great and feels solid.
    The charging issue definitely struck me as abuse -- it seemed pretty clear the cord had been jerked too many times. I imagine it was enough to cause just a bit of play in the socket, and that was about it. Once damaged, it's been only intermittently charged, meaning most of the time it's just dead and untouched. I'm hopeful once I can get the thing charged enough for the OS update install that at least when it's functioning people will enjoy it more. I set it charging right before closing time tonight so that I can stop in tomorrow to try and get it updated.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer