Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Basically I am trying to open a PDF which is from my uni Virtual learning environment (VLE) and the browser downloads it but Quickoffice and adobe reader jus refuses to open it. However it seems to be only PDF which I get off my VLE, downloaded a test PDF and that seemed to work ok.

thanks in advance

James
    Is there an error msg?

If you download on a computer, compare the file to the one you downloaded on touchpad, is there a difference in size of the files?
  3.    #3  
    I'll try that now , there is no specific error message it just says that Quickoffice could not open this file. Are there any other PDF reading apps?
    I dont know, im only aware of adobe and quickoffice, but i dont have a touchpad anymore.

You can try ask in the touchpad app forum.
  5.    #5  
    Also I carn't seem to see this thread on my touchpad, and I posted it on my touchpad . Are other people having this issue?
    I'm reading this thread fine on touchpad. It opened fine for me a few weeks ago six 40 page PDFs downloaded from website, worked great.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Is there an error msg?

If you download on a computer, compare the file to the one you downloaded on touchpad, is there a difference in size of the files?
    cannot open mime type is the message I get. Try the following link

globalsecuritieswatch.org/Sovereign_Ratings_Definitions_and_Criteria
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    I had a similar MIME type problem with the wall street journal site. When you go to "Todays Paper" link they have a PDF version of the page and it throws an error.

If i try to access a direct link the PDF doesnt render. The Wall Street Journal Online

Edit:I think the error is that permissioning isnt being passed either to the link etc. If I download the PDF to my PC, then email the PDF to myself the PDF is rendered properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    cannot open mime type is the message I get. Try the following link

globalsecuritieswatch.org/Sovereign_Ratings_Definitions_and_Criteria
    Downloaded the file to TouchPad fine but could not open it.
    Uploaded it to box.net and tried to open from my laptop and box.net said file type was not supported.

I downloaded to laptop, gave it a suffix .pdf and uploaded it to box.net and box.net was able to open it with the new suffix.

I downloaded the newly named file back to the TouchPad and still was not able to open.

Other pdf files on the TouchPad opened fine.
  10.    #10  
    it seems to only ever download 1.2kb when it downloads

seemed the tp just needed a reboot because it didn't seem to refresh any part of the forum properly
    i'm creating an application which creates pdf files. In webos 3.0, pdf files are not associated to adobe reader. HP is aware of that problem and will a fix asap.
    SMARTALYK likes this.
  12.    #12  
    any eta on the app or the fix just this i s pretty key to my tablet usage and I'll have to return my tp :'(
  13.    #13  
    this is really important to me is there any sort of work around apart from the one above, or maybe using another app, different reader etc?
    I opened the IRS' PDF W4 on my friend's ipad2 and on my touchpad.

Speed is not the problem (ipad2 was faster but that's ok).

The big, BIG problem is rendering. Ipad's PDF was crystal clear and when zoomed in, it was perfectly anti-aliased, everything. Touchpad's looked horrible. Like.. I could barely read it.

The latest New Yorker's PDF was basically unreadable. It's like it was zooming into a JPEG instead of PDF text.

Difference blew me away. Sad, really sad.

maybe the Adobe Reader is to blame? On the ipad, the pdf opened in-browser. On the TP, the PDF opened in AR, launched from the browser.
    this is a complete deal breaker for me and the only thing that stopped me from using the staples $300 deal. WebOS 3 is really close to be excellent, it just needs a bit more zip and some of the key tablet activities to have better apps. Note taking and PDF reading being some of the big ones.
    I'm one of the lucky ones who got one at Staples for $300, but I've been seriously thinking about returning it due to its PDF capability, or lack thereof. If I knew there was an update coming or a new app in the market, I'd keep it, but I think HP doesn't care. I'll keep it for a week and decide then.

I read all the posts here about its PDF performance, and honestly wasn't expecting much anyway, but this is really disappointing coming from a tablet that is touted for its business use.
    i like my TP. but i agree with the sentiments here...acrobat reader leaves a lot to be desired. but PDF is a widely known format...if adobe doesn't step up, i'm sure an enterprising 3rd party will be more than willing to take your $$$. although i hope that adobe steps up because i think this is one of those feature that really should be built-in (free).

although i wonder how much of the "blurry" bug is on AR and how much is on webOS...because i also see this in the stock browser as well. the browser at least re-renders...but it does it after a delay so you can actually see the blurry image for a second.
    Does anyone have any idea who wrote the Adobe Reader?

Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaox View Post
    Does anyone have any idea who wrote the Adobe Reader?

Just curious.
    i doubt it's HP, if that's what you're implying. it's probably adobe...but they probably had bigger fish to fry (getting flash to work properly). i'm sure it'll get better though. man, if i have a dollar every time the adobe reader on my pc wants to get updated....
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast