Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    This is why you need a platform with developer support.

If there was an issue with the IPAD, Developers would be RUSHING to resolve it.

If the issue is with Touchpad, I doubt the developer would give a hoot about fixing it first.

In other words, all the people who say oh who cares if it doesn't have all these devs and all these apps and this and that, IT MATTERS!
    Well, look. Touchpad is a niche device, I get it. If you can't tell a linux kernel from a popcorn one, if you don't know regex, if you don't like to tinker with things - this is not a device for you.

This is no competition to an iPad. The very idea is ludicrous. This is a device for people who like to try out new things, tinker with them and see what happens when you break stuff.

I detest apple (for their legal tactics) but I must grudgingly admit - in iPad they really do have a superior device.

Sigh.
    Thanks,

Susan.
    Thanks,

Susan.
    After reading this, I decided to open up a bunch of the pdf's I've loaded onto my Touchpad from my iPad1. No issues here. I have a couple hundred page pdf's that seemed to open faster on the Touchpad then on my iPad. I haven't tried opening pdf's through the browser yet, so maybe there are issues in that regard. I'll have to try it out later.
    tjd414 likes this.
    I have had problems with certain pdf's.
    Quote Originally Posted by logastellus View Post
    I opened the IRS' PDF W4 on my friend's ipad2 and on my touchpad.

Speed is not the problem (ipad2 was faster but that's ok).

The big, BIG problem is rendering. Ipad's PDF was crystal clear and when zoomed in, it was perfectly anti-aliased, everything. Touchpad's looked horrible. Like.. I could barely read it.

The latest New Yorker's PDF was basically unreadable. It's like it was zooming into a JPEG instead of PDF text.

Difference blew me away. Sad, really sad.

maybe the Adobe Reader is to blame? On the ipad, the pdf opened in-browser. On the TP, the PDF opened in AR, launched from the browser.
    Yeah the text was blurry on the Touchpad compared with my iPad. HP really needs to drastically improve the speed and clarity if they're going to succeed in the enterprise segment.
    Hmm.. The other day I loaded up my Dodge Charger owner's (full color and pictured tutorial) manual PDF. I was able to read it perfectly fine, zoomed in and it was clear. I do admit it took a good second to full render a page when it first opened up. I did notice that it would pre "render" the next 3 or 4 pages once I continued reading, so the lag was at a minimum for me.
    I haven't had any problems with the text being blurry when zooming in on documents. I even pulled up the IRS W4 pdf that was mentioned in the original post, zoomed in, and it looked fine to me.
    I should correct my earlier post: I am not bothered by how long it takes to render or bluriness; my problem is that certain pdf's just won't open.
  10.    #30  
    Sorry to dredge up and old thread but I thought it better to post in here than creating a new thread.

Can anyone confirm that they to have this problem because if it is isolated to me am going to guess there will never be a fix for it hence I can't warrant keeping my TP. I spoke to the developer of Advanced browser an he seems to think that there is a problem with the download manager, does anyone if there is a patch for this? or have another work around. Does this generally happen to people that have a secure login and need to download PDF's? because my ipad used to open them fine?
    I'm glad others are not having problems with PDFs like the OP. I thought I was suffering from that webOS delusional syndrome some folks claim we have. I am not having any issues viewing PDFs on my Touchpad. I'm in the military and we live and breath PDF. All of our electronic manuals are in PDF. After reading the first post I opened up a bunch of them on my Touchpad and they all look fine. Just like they would look in print.

I'm not saying that the Adobe reader doesn't need work. I can figure out how to search for text in the PDFs using the Touchpad's reader. Some of my manuals are over 300 pages and the missing search function is costing me time. I also don't like the fact that you have to zoom out to normal view to change the page. However the viewer works and you can view PDFs on the Touchpad. I don't know what to say to the OP because I can't duplicate his/her experience.
    Can someone post or add a dropbox link to a PDF that they are having issues with? I find it hard to believe that there is that much variation in PDF compatibility. But then again, I was one of the minority that couldn't get my Pre- to read PDFs that others had no issue rendering. Why is there still no decent Adobe Reader for WebOS after two years?
    I download magazines like the economist through my online subscription and if i zoom in the text becomes very blurry and does not render. It depends what you read i suppose, but it is the one major weakness that needs to fixed pronto, otherwise its back to gpad2.
    um... I have to admit I have no idea where the complaint is coming from because I've had no issues with reading pdf on my TP. In fact I was really impressed with the TP's ability to display pdf. Never used an ipad before though, not sure how pdfs handle on the fruit company's pad, maybe it's so much better that it would just blow my mind but I don't know, can't comment. Will just say for now that I don't experience the issue with pdfs
    I don't know what problems you guys are having. Maybe you all read PDFs with small fonts or something, but the PDFs I've read (scientific journal articles, various manuals, etc), I've never had a problem with. I've never needed to zoom in to read anything. The only time I ever zoom in on a PDF is to see diagrams up close. Other than that, I never had a problem with the PDFs I've read. In fact that's one of the main reasons for me to actually use my touchpad. Proof of my activity: Touchpad for daily (Science) Life… | Sirata Studios.

Am I using it differently than the rest of you? Do I just read bigger font PDFs than the rest of you guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I don't know what problems you guys are having. Maybe you all read PDFs with small fonts or something, but the PDFs I've read (scientific journal articles, various manuals, etc), I've never had a problem with. I've never needed to zoom in to read anything. The only time I ever zoom in on a PDF is to see diagrams up close. Other than that, I never had a problem with the PDFs I've read. In fact that's one of the main reasons for me to actually use my touchpad. Proof of my activity: Touchpad for daily (Science) Life… | Sirata Studios.

Am I using it differently than the rest of you? Do I just read bigger font PDFs than the rest of you guys?
    Agreed, I even just now opened up a pdf file on my Touchpad, and then opened up the same pdf file on my desktop PC to compare. No difference. I was actually fairly impressed with how good pdfs looked on TP, and how fun it was to do reading on it compared to a traditional desktop because it kinda replicates the feel of a book (albeit a heavy book lol)
    I used the PDF viewer for the first time tonight and was rather impressed. Since opening this thread, I've tried several other documents, all look good, even zoo ed in, and the page renders pretty quickly. Overall, can't say that im seeing any evidence of the reported issue.
    i guess my eyes are more sensitive to it. not saying the PDFs aren't readable. but they're definitely not as crisp as they should be. it's like reading it through those old CRT monitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post
    i guess my eyes are more sensitive to it. not saying the PDFs aren't readable. but they're definitely not as crisp as they should be. it's like reading it through those old CRT monitors.
    what font is it?
    I would like to agree with the original poster. My PDF experience on the touchpad has been a nightmare.

1) insufficient Zoom
    Image one shows the maximum zoom level on a rather large sized newspaper. It also suffers from the rendering problem. EDIT: included a Desktop comparison for image one, too. The maximum Zoom on the touchpad is around 65 % on the Desktop.

2) font rendering
    Image 2 shows a standard sized (A4 for Europe) magazine article both on the Touchpad and on windows. Also I could not zoom in further.

This happens with all files I have tried, where zooming/rendering is required (about 90 % of my pdf files). The real joke is, I can read these files even on the tiny display of a HP Veer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by irifan; 08/11/2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Included a Desktop comparison in image one
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast