Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Got my TouchPad today ($299.99) and all is well except I have to disable my WEP WIFI security off my router to gain access to my home network.

    I use WEP on all my devices at home and use a 128 key pass phrase. When I go in to wifi settings on the Touchpad I can see my network (with the little padlock icon) and if I click it the Touchpad asks for a "password", but I do not use a password! So I try to type in either my "passphrase or the generated key but no matter what I type in the window when I touch the "sign in" button I notice that it is grayed out and my only option is to select the "back button".

    I called the butler service from HP and it was a waste.

    So I have to disable my WEP and leave the router open to get internet.

    And no I would rather not use WPA as I have many wifi components in the house that use WEP with no problem.
  2. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #2  
    Is there a reason you're using WEP? I know you have other products that use WEP with no problems but why aren't you using WPA/2 which is more secure?
  3.    #3  
    Yes I am aware of that. But even so, the TouchPad should work with it. It has WEP as an option.
  4. #4  
    I don't know how to help you there. Honestly, for that problem I would keep pestering the Butler service until they kick you up a tier or two in the support process.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by anthemmobil1 View Post
    Got my TouchPad today ($299.99) and all is well except I have to disable my WEP WIFI security off my router to gain access to my home network.

    I use WEP on all my devices at home and use a 128 key pass phrase. When I go in to wifi settings on the Touchpad I can see my network (with the little padlock icon) and if I click it the Touchpad asks for a "password", but I do not use a password! So I try to type in either my "passphrase or the generated key but no matter what I type in the window when I touch the "sign in" button I notice that it is grayed out and my only option is to select the "back button".

    I called the butler service from HP and it was a waste.

    So I have to disable my WEP and leave the router open to get internet.

    And no I would rather not use WPA as I have many wifi components in the house that use WEP with no problem.
    Your admin web app on the router should be able to give you the key (not the pass phrase, but the key) get that, and type it in.
  6.    #6  
    Yep, I know the key. Still no go.
  7.    #7  
    What i am doing now is turning WEP off and leaving my router open but I am doing MAC address filtering to keep people out.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by anthemmobil1 View Post
    What i am doing now is turning WEP off and leaving my router open but I am doing MAC address filtering to keep people out.
    That'll bite you in the @#$, too, since there's no way to find out what your MAC is. I'd leave it open just as long as it takes to get the TP registered.
  9.    #9  
    What I mean by MAC filtering is I have it set to only allow MAC addresses I know, to connect to my router, works fine with the TouchPad since I know it's MAC address.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by anthemmobil1 View Post
    What i am doing now is turning WEP off and leaving my router open but I am doing MAC address filtering to keep people out.
    I think that might actually be more secure than having WEP on without the MAC filtering.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by anthemmobil1 View Post
    What I mean by MAC filtering is I have it set to only allow MAC addresses I know, to connect to my router, works fine with the TouchPad since I know it's MAC address.
    Oh! I didn't know you were able to get its MAC already. I figured you would not be able to see it since you were never able to get it to authorize over WEP.
  12. #12  
    its in the device info settings
  13.    #13  
    Well, I just updated the OS to the 3.0.2 and all is well. I was able to put in my passphrase key and YAHTZEE!
    speedtouch and hparsons like this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by anthemmobil1 View Post
    Got my TouchPad today ($299.99) and all is well except I have to disable my WEP WIFI security off my router to gain access to my home network.

    I use WEP on all my devices at home and use a 128 key pass phrase. When I go in to wifi settings on the Touchpad I can see my network (with the little padlock icon) and if I click it the Touchpad asks for a "password", but I do not use a password! So I try to type in either my "passphrase or the generated key but no matter what I type in the window when I touch the "sign in" button I notice that it is grayed out and my only option is to select the "back button".

    I called the butler service from HP and it was a waste.

    So I have to disable my WEP and leave the router open to get internet.

    And no I would rather not use WPA as I have many wifi components in the house that use WEP with no problem.
    Nope. Supported just fine. Like the other poster, the variable here is your *router* not the touchpad. I've been on a Linksys and a Netgear with WEP64 and WEP128 and it works fine.

    The TPad does have issue with Enterprise WEP 802.11x with LEAP. Try visiting a friend with wireless on a different make router and confirm. Rule out the variables first.
    65fastback likes this.
  15. #15  
    Yeah. I've used mine with WEP as well and do so on a regular basis because one of the wireless networks i'm on STILL hasn't been upgraded.

    anyway with that said, its WEP 128 bit and it works with no issues at all.

    just make sure, the SSID AND WEP password IS case sensitive
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
  16.    #16  
    Like I said, it's fixed. I updated the Touchpad and now it works, no it wasn't the router...that is clear. I updated WEB OS and now it works.
  17. Clayman's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #17  
    I am wondering if you can share anymore info on this.

    I am trying to get WEP working between the TP and MacOS Internet Sharing with WEP. The share is recognized by the TP, but it will not authenticate. I have tried 5 character ASCII, 10 character HEX and 26 character HEX and they all respond the same way.

    The MacOS Internet Sharing is restricted to OPEN or 40bit WEP or 128bit WEP. On OPEN auth it works fine, but who wants to run an open network. I don't have a functioning network in the house as I don't have a cabled internet connection. All internet work is done through the MAC via a phone and as I said, this works if the auth is OPEN.

    I read somewhere the key as to start with a 0 or 1, I have not tried that yet, but is that critical?

    Any help is appreciated.
  18. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #18  
    Why oh why are folks still using WEP? It can be cracked in about 60 seconds. The same with relying on MAC addresses. Those can be spoofed with about zero effort.
    cashmonee likes this.
  19. cashmonee's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Why oh why are folks still using WEP? It can be cracked in about 60 seconds. The same with relying on MAC addresses. Those can be spoofed with about zero effort.
    This. Get off of WEP. You might as well not have security on at all. Switch over to WPA2, use a long random character password. If you have devices that only support WEP setup a second network for them alone.
  20. jsteelio's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayman View Post
    I am wondering if you can share anymore info on this.

    I am trying to get WEP working between the TP and MacOS Internet Sharing with WEP. The share is recognized by the TP, but it will not authenticate. I have tried 5 character ASCII, 10 character HEX and 26 character HEX and they all respond the same way.

    The MacOS Internet Sharing is restricted to OPEN or 40bit WEP or 128bit WEP. On OPEN auth it works fine, but who wants to run an open network. I don't have a functioning network in the house as I don't have a cabled internet connection. All internet work is done through the MAC via a phone and as I said, this works if the auth is OPEN.

    I read somewhere the key as to start with a 0 or 1, I have not tried that yet, but is that critical?

    Any help is appreciated.
    I too am having problems with the MACOS Internet Sharing with WEP and my TouchPad. Please let me know if you figure it out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions