Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree46Likes
    I agree with most - even on my dual-core Asus Transformer, it's the same thing.
    Splash screen, then 5 sec later the app starts.

Can't see how that makes the TP any better or worse, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Not all reviews are bad, this one is very comprehensive and informative one with great incite and balance.

lol! I like the second comment "Stop making videos you cub wad"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    I agree with most - even on my dual-core Asus Transformer, it's the same thing.
    Splash screen, then 5 sec later the app starts.

Can't see how that makes the TP any better or worse, personally.
    The TouchPad is running webOS. If an Android tablet or an iPad don't start an app immediately, well, a few seconds are pretty much 'immediately'. If the TouchPad doesn't, a few seconds can make the difference between poverty and wealth, life and death, peace and war, and is a completely unacceptable flaw in a modern device, especially one so fat and heavy.

I can't wait to get my TouchPad, although I doubt I'll get this one. I think I'm done being an early adopter. Rev.B hardware for me in the future.
    I just tried Dolphin HD for tablet, for example... full 1280x800 app.

Used a task-control app to make sure it wasn't running.
    Tapped the icon on the desktop, and 4-5 seconds later I was ready to type in a URL.

That's acceptable to me -although I had the main screen framework pop up in 1sec, it wasn't ready until 4-5 seconds from the tap.

Others were a little shorter, others were a little longer.
    Common sense rules here, like on a desktop/laptop: you know DAMN well, that, say, MS Word 2010 is going to take longer to load than, say, wordpad or notepad.
    cobrakon likes this.
    I'm very happy to see that people decided to buck the reviews and try the Touchpad for themselves. I started a thread here a few days after the Touchpad was released asking every Touchpad owner to go to the sites where there were negative reviews and post comments calling the reviewer out. A bunch of naysayers flooded my thread with a bunch of garbage about me and the Touchpad to the point that I had the thread shut down. I feel vindicated by some of the comments here. The Touchpad is an excellent device and most of the reviewers were full of it. Please take the time to post your comments on their sites. It is best to take your comments directly to them where everyone can see instead of here where only webOS enthusiast see them.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm very happy to see that people decided to buck the reviews and try the Touchpad for themselves. I started a thread here a few days after the Touchpad was released asking every Touchpad owner to go to the sites where there were negative reviews and post comments calling the reviewer out. A bunch of naysayers flooded my thread with a bunch of garbage about me and the Touchpad to the point that I had the thread shut down. I feel vindicated by some of the comments here. The Touchpad is an excellent device and most of the reviewers were full of it. Please take the time to post your comments on their sites. It is best to take your comments directly to them where everyone can see instead of here where only webOS enthusiast see them.
    This appears to be HP's policy, there was a clear disconnect btw the reviewer's opinion and user reviews esp on amazon, bestbuy and Costco to name a few. With most issues addressed in the update, HP said we're going to get this device in people's hands with this w/ends special. Hence on Amazon both devices immediately shot to the top 5 in tablets sales which means people had a favourable impression of the device but the initial price wasn't right. Also the tone of comments has changed on sites like engadget now that readers have actually started using the device.
    This sale is going to be the event that changes the course of webOS from a has been to a contender.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    This appears to be HP's policy, there was a clear disconnect btw the reviewer's opinion and user reviews esp on amazon, bestbuy and Costco to name a few. With most issues addressed in the update, HP said we're going to get this device in people's hands with this w/ends special. Hence on Amazon both devices immediately shot to the top 5 in tablets sales which means people had a favourable impression of the device but the initial price wasn't right. Also the tone of comments has changed on sites like engadget now that readers have actually started using the device.
    This sale is going to be the event that changes the course of webOS from a has been to a contender.
    I have to take exception with your statement that the initial price wasn't right. Thinking that increased sales from a discounted price is flawed reasoning. Basic economics tells you that if you lower prices you will increase demand. Especially in this economy, people will think long and hard about doling out $499 for a tablet. Put that tablet on sale and more will buy it, regardless of the manufacturer. Imagine if there was a $200 discount on iPads - more would be selling but that doesn't mean it should have been priced lower.

In my opinion, the TouchPad is in line with the iPad therefore pricing in line with the iPad is appropriate (whether or not that means matching it exactly or being within tens of dollars is open for discussion).

Furthermore, and unrelated to your points, this anguish over the weekend sale is ridiculous - I'm glad I'll be getting a credit from HP, but really, you mean to tell me that you thought there'd never be a sale on TouchPad? Get real.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    I have to take exception with your statement that the initial price wasn't right. Thinking that increased sales from a discounted price is flawed reasoning. Basic economics tells you that if you lower prices you will increase demand. Especially in this economy, people will think long and hard about doling out $499 for a tablet. Put that tablet on sale and more will buy it, regardless of the manufacturer. Imagine if there was a $200 discount on iPads - more would be selling but that doesn't mean it should have been priced lower.

In my opinion, the TouchPad is in line with the iPad therefore pricing in line with the iPad is appropriate (whether or not that means matching it exactly or being within tens of dollars is open for discussion).

Furthermore, and unrelated to your points, this anguish over the weekend sale is ridiculous - I'm glad I'll be getting a credit from HP, but really, you mean to tell me that you thought there'd never be a sale on TouchPad? Get real.
    Not to hijack the thread but at this stage the TP is not equal to the iPad. Different and more efficient yes but still behind the market leader. You can start a separate thread debating pros and cons of either platform on this .Regarding sales no one expected a $200 reduction this early in the product cycle.
  9.    #29  
    everyone expected 50 to 100 off. Hp does this with everything they make. The 200 off was a mistake staples made. Staples has claimed fraud for some and refused the coupon even. 100 off was expected just like I expect it to hit again before school or just a after it starts. 200 off we will not see again.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but at this stage the TP is not equal to the . Different and more efficient yes but still behind the market leader. You can start a separate thread debating pros and cons of either platform on this .Regarding sales no one expected a $200 reduction this early in the product cycle.
    doctj,

This depends on what the reviewer uses as a basis for their review. If you were to compare each device there are pluses and minuses for each. The

-Touchpad has a 1.2 GHz dual core processor, the iPad2 has a 1.0 GHz dual core processor - +1 Touchpad

-Touchpad has 1GB RAM, the iPad2 has 512MB of RAM - +1 Touchpad

-Touchpad has about 5,000 available apps, the iPad2 over 100,000 - +1 iPad2

-Touchpad has Adobe Flash support to view the whole Internet, the iPad2 does not have Flash support and relies on specialized apps or the website to be coded in HTML5 - +1 Touchpad

-Touchpad has one front facing camera for video chat, iPad2 has both front and back cameras for video chat, video recording and editing - +1 iPad2

-Touchpad does not have video out, iPad2 has HDMI out - +1 iPad2

-Touchpad has real-time multi-tasking of all running applications, iPad2 pauses running applications and will only multi-task a handful of them (if they meet a set criteria by Apple) - +1 Touchpad

-Touchpad has wireless charging support with the ability for apps to display special data while in the charging dock (Exhibition mode), iPad2 does not have wireless charging - +1 Touchpad

-Touchpad can sync all your accounts into one area (Synergy) and automatically update each account on the fly, iPad2 cannot - +1 Touchpad

-Touchpad has two speakers for high quality stereo sound and a standard headphone jack, iPad2 has a one speaker for mono sound and a standard headphone jack - +1 Touchpad

-Touchpad has a industrial design, iPad2 is pretty - +1 iPad2

-Touchpad has an out of your way intutiave notifications system, iPad2 does not and notifications get in the way - +1 Touchpad

So far I've only seen reviewers complain about the negatives of the Touchpad, never about the negatives of the iPad or iPad2. As for speed they are on par with each other. The iPad2 just doesn't animate the launch of the app like the Touchpad does. Frankly, iOS lacks the multi-tasking power of the Touchpad. So there is no "launch the app in card view so you can see your other apps running and then pop it into fullscreen mode when it's ready" like the Touchpad (and webOS) does. It goes into fullscreen automatically for the iPad2 because the iOS can only display one running app at a time. This is a plus for some because it tricks them into thinking the app is running faster but it just is not. The ready time is about the same.

Either way they both have pluses and minuses. It really depends on what you use your tablet for. The sales reduction is just HP's modus operandi. They discount all their products periodically but leave the retail price the same. This has been explained all over the forums and on the Internet ad nauseum. It does not mean doom and gloom for the Touchpad.
    Zer0fluX likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    A 1.2 GHz dual core Snapdragon CPU will have the same DMIPS as a 1 GHz dual core Cortex A9 CPU. All dual core tablets --- from the ipad 2 to the Xoom to the Playbook --- have basically the same horsepower. The only difference is that Tegra 2 (Xoom) doesn't have NEON (SIMD like Intel's SSE).

Multi-tasking is not the same as "real time". QNX is the only "real time" operating system out of the whole bunch of mobile/embedded OS in the tablet world.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    Because they're all about substance, not appearance.
    but they can have substance AND appearance... which together would make for an better user experience. not to mention splash screens can help with brand recognition.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12