Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DoobieDoo
  1.    #1  
    Help.

Picked up a Staples $200 discounted TP yesterday after work (yeah, I got seduced too - seemed like the right price point for me - and had been hemming and hawing about it for way too long).. Opened it up early this morning to start getting to know my new friend and BAM, connectivity issues before I even got going.

During the init phase, it wants to connect to a wireless network. Yet, it's not connecting to mine. In fact, it doesn't even see any Wi Fi's at all - not my own.. and not even my neighbors.. it just sits there in a search cycle for hours. And this is after several re-boots, removing security on the router, putting my settings in manually. Put in a call to Butler services but they couldn't help. I think it may be a broken WiFi radio... What a <<mod delete>> massive buzz kill.

I'm waiting for a support call back now, ..but am thinking about killing the rest of my Saturday with a long trip back to Staples for a replacement....but wondering if anyone had any suggestions in the mean time..

Thanks

-D
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/06/2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: language
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    How about a visit from the Doctor?
    too bad. If you reboot and does not work, I would try doctoring http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Webs

if that does not work, staples is your man, sorry
    select other network and type in the name of your router.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah.. was afraid of that..
    Suppose it's worth a shot..

Thanks
    -D
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    select other network and type in the name of your router.
    Can't even get there.. I boot up.. it asks me for my language..and then it puts up the dialog for the Network ...
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    Yeah.. was afraid of that..
    Suppose it's worth a shot..

Thanks
    -D
    Yep, a Doctor surely can't make it any worse.
    another choice is to try someone else's wifi
  9.    #9  
    !WEIRD - WEIRD - WEIRD!
    I powered down the unit - had it boxed and ready to go back to Staples too. But on a whim, I decided to try it once last time again.. to confirm Can't Afford it's suggestion.
    And this time, it saw all the networks when it came up

For the life of me, the only thing different - was that it sat off and unpowered for a while.. maybe 30 minutes... ***? Just hope the hardware isn't going to be that flakey on me going forward..

Thanks to all..
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    speedtouch and sorli like this.
  10.    #10  
    A couple of follow up points, for anyone else coming down this road..
    Figured out:

1) Flipping my WiFi on/off toggle seems to force a fresh successful wifi network search. Otherwise the search will keep spinning for hours - and it wont' even let me manually enter a network... Definately a bug.

2) Bluetooth seems to interfere with wifi router security (as strange as it sounds).

Here's why I say that: At first, I couldn't get my venerable Linksys WRT54GS to work under anything but open. Not wanting to leave my network vulnerable to mischief, out of desperation I downloaded and flashed the dd-wrt open source firmware. At first it still didn't work. But I noticed an option "Bluetooth Coexistence Mode" in the advanced option. As soon as I enabled that.. I was able to connect with WPA security.. I am still playing with it..but thought this little tidbit might help someone else...

Thanks..
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -