Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By palmfanatic777
  • 1 Post By palmfanatic777
  • 1 Post By bmacfarland
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone ,

I thought it would be a cool idea if we could generate a list of new tp owners especially due to the current deals taking place this weekend.At first i was just going to make it new TP owners but then i thought why not add new tp owners and new to Webos.This will have two benefits.Firstly we can welcome them to the community and also we can point developers to the growing numbers of TP/Webos users.

So if you just bought ordered your TP or indeed if you are new to Webos say hello and maybe put your twitter handle or google plus details so we can truly welcome you to the TP / Webos family

Peter
    sorli likes this.
    That's a great idea. We could also have an "Adopt-a-Newbie" program, too.
  3.    #3  
    Sounds like a plan Rob are you on twitter or google plus as ill gladly follow you on both

Peter
    I ordered mine recently (got a better deal than the Staples one on Ebay, feedback is good so fingers are crossed).

Long time Palm user (Handspring days) and current Palm Pre user (though I'm going to Android for the cheap Virgin Mobile plan)...

... I figured I'd pop into the forums and look for a guide for new owners to get the most of their Touchpad. I figured one would be stickied. I'm not seeing though...

In a couple of minutes of research, I did note a few of the first things I should do:
    - Update to 3.0.2 (naturally)
    - Get Preware and stop the debugging that seems to slow down the device
    - Put a new kernel (1.5 or 1.7) on it (since I have experience with this on my Pre and I'm very technical).

I would like to know if there are other things I'm missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmfanatic777 View Post
    Sounds like a plan Rob are you on twitter or google plus as ill gladly follow you on both

Peter
    Neither, sorry. I try to stay under the radar on any social networking sites. I am not a member of any of them.
  6.    #6  
    Welcome BMcfarland

I certainly expect to see much more of you in the future and i am certain you will be delighted with your new touchpad

Thanks for the welcome. I noticed that you didn't respond to my request if there is a new user's guide to getting the most out of the touchpad.

So does that mean there is no such guide? :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I noticed that you didn't respond to my request if there is a new user's guide to getting the most out of the touchpad.

So does that mean there is no such guide? :-(
    Check out Speedtouch's thread on "how do I":

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-i-thread.html

as well as the other threads in the Tips, Information and Resources forum

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ion-resources/

One of the strengths of a forum community is that the answer to one member's question may help many other members. So post your questions here, new members, and I know that the great PreCentral community members are bound to have the answer.
  9.    #9  
    Not that i am aware of personally although that does not mean there isn't one and i am certain if there is one someone will come along to this thread and point you in the right direction

Peter
    I didn't have any specific questions because I don't know what I don't know. If that doesn't make sense imagine a new user who doesn't know that Preware exists. That's kind of an easy thing to find. However, finding out that there are patches to disable debugging which significantly speed up the device is the kind of thing that I wouldn't know to ask. I would need to be told it is available :-).

The How Do I... is a good start. It's for basic actions though, not ones with intent on patching and overclocking the device.
    Hi all, just got my Touchpad the other day and am well impressed with my 1st webOS device.Now i just need to find out how to get homebrew apps on it.Have it already in dev mode
  12.    #12  
    Det66 welcome on two accounts firstly to Webos and secondly i am originally from Northern Ireland so even better.Probably best to follow the guides at webosinternals for that kind of thing although lots of people here will be only too glad to assist

Peter
    det66 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    The How Do I... is a good start. It's for basic actions though, not ones with intent on patching and overclocking the device.
    That's the way it's intended. I wrote it specifically for stock TouchPad users (webOS newbies, primarily) who just powered on their TP's for the first time. If you're wanting to do tweaking, that's outside the scope of my thread. Tweaking involves really learning webOS and how it works. A webOS newbie doesn't need that information. He just wants to find out how to use his device properly. And I also don't think a newb should have to search all over the forums to find out how to use his device out of the box. That's why I wrote the How do I thread, it serves as a central repository for basic TouchPad usage. If you want to tweak, you'll need to search. That's the only way to learn how to do it right.
    Getting my pad coming Monday. WebOS experience 0, Windows, Linux, Unix, Yes.
    Just booked mark the 'How do I' thread on my PC. Guess lots of reading this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by nclee View Post
    Getting my pad coming Monday. WebOS experience 0, Windows, Linux, Unix, Yes.
    Just booked mark the 'How do I' thread on my PC. Guess lots of reading this weekend.
    Feel free to PM me for any questions you have in case you don't wish to ask them in the forum.
    Thx. Speedtouch.
    New TP owners and those of you new to webOS, make sure to check out the HP webOS Meetups page. There may be some meetups happening near your home. Here's the Official HP webOS Meetup page (global): HP webOS Meetups Everywhere - Meetup

I am sure the webOSers at those meetings would be happy to help you understand your TouchPad and use it to its full potential.

You can also view events posted here at PreCentral's Event Forum: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-events/
    I realize that the How Do I? was not intended to be the guide that I was looking for. I think what I was looking for was:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3027858

I didn't really find it through searching... just hit the right thread that linked to it. I guess I would think that post (and any future updates to it) should be stickied under a "Pimp my Touchpad" Guide. It probably could even be a post on the homepage. It need not give details on how to do all the steps, just walk someone through the good stuff as codecrumb did.
    speedtouch likes this.