Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shrxwin
  • 1 Post By 1palmclapping
  1.    #1  
    I have a Holux Bluetooth GPS receiver that I can't seem to get to work.

I can pair it fine but bing maps tells me to select a service to get location from and google location services are all that's available.

has anyone gotten a Bluetooth GPS working?
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    nope. there's been a few other threads, we all have the same results - it will pair but that's about it. not clear whether it's something HP needs to implement at the OS level or we just need a developer to dive into it. Ironic considering I bought mine to work with a Treo 650 a lot of years ago - you would think it would be a standard paired device by now!
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    nope. there's been a few other threads, we all have the same results - it will pair but that's about it. not clear whether it's something HP needs to implement at the OS level or we just need a developer to dive into it. Ironic considering I bought mine to work with a Treo 650 a lot of years ago - you would think it would be a standard paired device by now!
    My Bluetooth GPS pairs with my TouchPad as well. I bought mine for my Lifedrive years ago. Like with my Lifedrive though, I need nav software to use the receiver with. So I'm assuming that it would only take a developer to write the software to take advantage of it. Of course, not being a developer I may be over-simplifying the process.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    it's really too bad that reading the output of the GPS isn't built into the device at the OS level, so location services can tell Bing Maps and all the other location aware apps where you are. maybe someday...
    yes, it'd be nice to pair a GPS capable phone (such as the Pre 2) and be able to use navigation software on the Touchpad. I really wish they had just included a cheap GPS module in the Touchpad. Probably would have increased BOM ever so slightly.
    anybody try bt747, I heard there is a palm port. Really wishing they put a GPS in this thing. maybe I'd get better battery life with an external....
    GPS should be easy for a developer to implement. If the device has the Bluetooth SPP profile and pairs with the Touchpad (which it apparently does) then really all we need is a driver.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  8. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I attempted to connect my old palmOne GPS Bluetooth receiver to my touchpad, but it wouldn't connect, it would pair but not connect.
    Part of the problem nowadays is that the people who write the navigation apps are writing for devices that are just expected to have GPS built-in. Back in "the day" when I was installing TomTom on Windows Mobile 2003 devices, you could manually tell the app where to look for navigation data. If the device had a built-in GPS receiver, you would tell it to look for location data directly from there. But if you were using a Bluetooth GPS receiver, there were two ways you could go. You could either install a driver that would make the Bluetooth GPS receiver appear to be the phone's built-in GPS receiver, or you could simply tell TomTom which COM port your NMEA-compatible GPS device was on, and it would decipher the location data on its own. So it basically had its own driver built in that you could use if you needed to.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    my Bluetooth GPS doesn't seem to connect. I can pair it but nothing more.
    Would be awesome to have this device as navigation. The GPS I'm trying to use is the Vodafone one.

kind regard
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    FYI - Mapping Tool Pro by MetaViewSoft added support for an external/bluetooth GPS in a recent update, for both phone and touchpad. it is currently running in the smaller phone emulation window but there are plans to bring a TouchPad version to life. There was a story on the front page last week regarding this great advancement - hopefully more developers will add support to their location aware apps!
    sorli likes this.
    any way to pair the Pre (Pre minus, Pre Plus, Pre2 or Pre3 or Veer) GPS to the Touchpad so maps would actually be large enough to be usable?
    sorli likes this.
    People. Stop wasting your time trying to connect various BT GPS engines. None will work unless an app is specifically written to support it. Currently Map Tool Pro is your only option.

We all hope that at some point either HP or some clever developer will be able to make this into an OS level supported feature and even allow you to tether to a phones GPS, but it's not there yet and I haven't heard about anyone working on it.
    Ze-Palm is working on it. So they tell me. Their ap is I-gps. No longer on the ap catalog. Contact them, ze-palm.com. Nice people I think...
    Map tool pro was jsut released, it supposedly works on the TP.... check out the youtube video.

Quote Originally Posted by 1palmclapping View Post
    any way to pair the Pre (Pre minus, Pre Plus, Pre2 or Pre3 or Veer) GPS to the Touchpad so maps would actually be large enough to be usable?
    yes, MetaView just released an app for that.