Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By wylis76
  • 2 Post By nappy
  • 1 Post By hparsons
  1.    #1  
    So with these new deals out there, are people who bought the 16GB wishing they had more storage, and are those that bought the 32GB feeling like they could have gotten by with 16GB? I'm not one that would likely put much music on a TouchPad, certainly some books at some point, some pictures, but rarely would I be downloading movies onto it (not sure why I'd watch a movie on it when I have a nice big screen TV), so does that make 16GB a good fit? If I can get into a 16GB for $299 (sales tax holiday in SC this weekend), that might finally tempt me. Thanks for any comments regarding storage space.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

Be a Patriot, pray for Obama, Psalm 109:8

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    I think it all depends on how you will be using it. If you don't need movies on it for travel entertainment and will most always been near a WiFi connection to connect to your free 50GB account from box.net then the 16GB should fit your needs well.
    LordSecksie likes this.
    16GB should be fine for your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wylis76 View Post
    I think it all depends on how you will be using it. If you don't need movies on it for travel entertainment and will most always been near a WiFi connection to connect to your free 50GB account from box.net then the 16GB should fit your needs well.
    I could not agree more. I have found the 32GB is probably too much for me right now. I don't do a lot of movies. I do mostly podcasts, which take up very little space.
    Amazon Cloud Player is a godsend if you have a lot of music, keep that in mind.
    I've been thinking about this myself. I for the life of me could not think of what I would need 32G for on a tablet device. I have a server with over 80G's of music but I don't need all of it with me. Whatever I need with me on the go, I would sync and roll-out.

I would be very interested to hear what current 32G owners are using that additional storage for in light of the growing list of cloud storage services available.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I think springing for the 32GB model is a good idea. When you're dealing with something that isn't expandable, paying a little more for double the capacity could end up extending the life of the device by a few years.
    hrminer92 and sledge007 like this.
    I have the 32gb sitting right here on my desk in the box and I am wondering if I should open it. My other option is to return it and save 100 by ordering a 16gb. hmmmm.
    Last edited by bigwood212; 08/05/2011 at 10:26 PM.
    If it had hdmi out I may have splurged for the 32gb, but as is I don't have much need to load it up with hi-def movies. I have a 120gb media player for music, so will probably just carry my favorite 4-8gbs of music. Basically anyone that isn't planning on loading it up with movies and music for long trips without internet should be able to get by on the 16gb. $100 for 16gb in this day and age is sheer robbery, but if you have the extra disposable income, extra space is always nice and more power to you.

Can the touchpad access usb hard drives (mine is still in the mail)? If so and you need a ton of space for trips, you could always carry a 100+ gb hard drive/media player and just use that for overflow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjab View Post
    Can the touchpad access usb hard drives (mine is still in the mail)? If so and you need a ton of space for trips, you could always carry a 100+ gb hard drive/media player and just use that for overflow.
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    So with these new deals out there, are people who bought the 16GB wishing they had more storage, and are those that bought the 32GB feeling like they could have gotten by with 16GB? I'm not one that would likely put much music on a TouchPad, certainly some books at some point, some pictures, but rarely would I be downloading movies onto it (not sure why I'd watch a movie on it when I have a nice big screen TV), so does that make 16GB a good fit? If I can get into a 16GB for $299 (sales tax holiday in SC this weekend), that might finally tempt me. Thanks for any comments regarding storage space.
    I guess I should also answer your original question, in keeping with "good form"

I've had my 32gb version a month, and haven't used half of it yet. I have a reasonable amount of music on it, and currently about 5 movies, and probably a half dozen books. All of those I can easily rotate out as needed, tough in truth movies and books are probably the only ones I'll ever bother taking off. Movies tend to take lot of space (1-2 GBs each), Kindle book space seems almost negligible.

In short, I really don't think 16gb would have been excessively limited. But, I'm still glad I went with the bigger version.

You may ask why, and I'll play off part of your question.

While I think I may have been able to get by with only 16gb, I know I'm able to get by with $100 less in my pocket. Out of the two scenarios, I suspect there's a stronger chance I'd someday say "Dang, I wish I had that other 16gb" than there is I'd say "Dang, I wish I hadn't spent that orther $100".

That said, in your case, you may be fine with the 16gb. I pesonally wouldn't be happy with it. Good thing they gave choices, eh?
    LordSecksie likes this.
    I like your logic. Thanks for the feedback!!

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I guess I should also answer your original question, in keeping with "good form"

I've had my 32gb version a month, and haven't used half of it yet. I have a reasonable amount of music on it, and currently about 5 movies, and probably a half dozen books. All of those I can easily rotate out as needed, tough in truth movies and books are probably the only ones I'll ever bother taking off. Movies tend to take lot of space (1-2 GBs each), Kindle book space seems almost negligible.

In short, I really don't think 16gb would have been excessively limited. But, I'm still glad I went with the bigger version.

You may ask why, and I'll play off part of your question.

While I think I may have been able to get by with only 16gb, I know I'm able to get by with $100 less in my pocket. Out of the two scenarios, I suspect there's a stronger chance I'd someday say "Dang, I wish I had that other 16gb" than there is I'd say "Dang, I wish I hadn't spent that orther $100".

That said, in your case, you may be fine with the 16gb. I pesonally wouldn't be happy with it. Good thing they gave choices, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I've been thinking about this myself. I for the life of me could not think of what I would need 32G for on a tablet device. I have a server with over 80G's of music but I don't need all of it with me. Whatever I need with me on the go, I would sync and roll-out.

I would be very interested to hear what current 32G owners are using that additional storage for in light of the growing list of cloud storage services available.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Not a thing. I only got the 32G because of the make-it-right rebate and QVC's bundle. As I write this, I have 26.5 GB available, with a decent amount of music and two movies on the device (with additional music/movies on box.net).

I'd been considering this question for a while, and concluded that 16G would be more than enough for my needs.
    1 movie & 4 seasons of family guy 12GB
    10GB music
    2GB downloads
    says I have 3GB left so 5GB of assorted other apps and stuff.

Haven't come close to listening to or watching all of it, I've had it for 3 weeks now, I can probably go another 3 weeks before changing any of it....maybe longer
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    16 is good enough for your need.

Even movie is fine, you can put 5 to 10 movies on it easily.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    for me, I would err on the side of more memory. Yo will never really know when you will need more space.

It is like buying a hard drive replacement for your computer. Buy the biggest capacity you can afford

Personally, I put more pictures on my TP than movies. I like taking the baby pictures of my daughter along with me and our travels and vacations.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    I tend to always think of the future so I will always buy the one with the most storage. In this case, the fact that there is no SD card slot was a big decision for me. I like having the extra space even if I never use it,,,at least I wont regret NOT having it.

in any case, it will always boil down to the specific users needs & desires. No one can tell you what is right for you except for you. I just think, you can always NOT use any extra space if you find its not needed......however, if you ever find that you do need extra space, you wont be able to add it......and no one wants to carry an external drive around to get extra storage,,,,at least I wouldnt want to.