Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes
  1.    #1  
    For all the naysayers that are convinced TouchPads are not selling...

I just called every single Staples in the Bay Area and all of them are sold out. Not a single TouchPad in an area serving millions of affluent, tech savvy people. If there is anywhere you would expect HP to keep larger stocks than average, this is it -- and that extra stock is gone.

Before you respond with "they are only sold out because of the coupon" - think a little about what that means about the demand curve. If $400 = sold out within hours, then the price point should be higher because there is demand far outstripping supply.

Furthermore, with a short promotion, HP learned a lot about pricing points without establishing a price ceiling. They might not be as dumb as you think.
    Stapples is sold out of 16gb in all of ny and not many 32gb left. I got the last one in my store.
    TouchPad completely SOLD OUT in ENTIRE Bay Area: How do ya like dem apples?

Good news, however it all depends on how many apples were at each store. One can assume anything concerning the numbers at each store, no one but Staples knows how many were on hand. The only number I found as to how many stores Staples has is 2000 world wide. If we use that number and assume that each store had 200 units, that's 400,000 units sold. If each store had 50, that's only 100,000.

It is good to get devices in peoples hands though.
    I would recommend to go to Office Depot if they are all sold out and you want one.

A friend of mine just got one from Office Depot.

The manager almost said no but then my friend searched the web on his phone right in front of him and showed the first article that came up!

Awesome deal for my friend, go to Office Depot with the Coupon if Staples is all sold out in your area.
    I like them apples a lot.
    3 staples in ATL got 4 or 5 in each.

So 6 stores in ATL area = ~30 But some still had stock today so less I'd say.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    For all the naysayers that are convinced TouchPads are not selling...

I just called every single Staples in the Bay Area and all of them are sold out. Not a single TouchPad in an area serving millions of affluent, tech savvy people. If there is anywhere you would expect HP to keep larger stocks than average, this is it -- and that extra stock is gone.

Before you respond with "they are only sold out because of the coupon" - think a little about what that means about the demand curve. If $400 = sold out within hours, then the price point should be higher because there is demand far outstripping supply.

Furthermore, with a short promotion, HP learned a lot about pricing points without establishing a price ceiling. They might not be as dumb as you think.
    my fear is that with all big promos, Staples maintained a lower than normal stock in the hopes that people would come in for the cheaper tablet, but once out of stock a larger percentage would walk away with a more expensive model.
    I've seen this done regularly at other stores with monitors and televisions
    Here's what I did earlier today ...

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3056415

milominderbinde likes this.
    If Staples had just 20 per store, it would still be 80,000 units sold through JUST Staples. HP is in a lot more retailers than just Staples. Right now, the TouchPad occupies the number 2 and number 5 position on Amazon's top tablet sales list. I wouldn't be shocked if HP would have moved half a million TouchPads or more by the time this weekend is over. Not iPad territory, but solid sales, especially considering the initial reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    If Staples had just 20 per store, it would still be 80,000 units sold through JUST Staples. HP is in a lot more retailers than just Staples. Right now, the TouchPad occupies the number 2 and number 5 position on Amazon's top tablet sales list. I wouldn't be shocked if HP would have moved half a million TouchPads or more by the time this weekend is over. Not iPad territory, but solid sales, especially considering the initial reviews.
    Agreed. All the major retailers are part of the -$100: Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc... online through Amazon, Newegg, J&R...

It's a full-on 3-day full court press.

Seems to be working at least fairly well so far, if Amazon's numbers are any indication.
    #6 in Computers and accessories, 4.3/5 stars average out of 96 customer reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    ...Furthermore, with a short promotion, HP learned a lot about pricing points without establishing a price ceiling. They might not be as dumb as you think.
    Exactly They are in this for the long haul, and you can bet they are taking notes. Not only on price points, but on motivations, and what people saw/liked after they got them.

Years ago, when HP bought Compaq, I was sorely ticked (I was a Compaq certified engineer) that they replaced Compaq's servers with their own (which I thought were vastly inferior). Then over the course of the next few months, I watched them merge the best of both into a now respected line of servers.

HP didn't get where they are by being the idiotic "don't get it" company that many are portraying them to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post

Good news, however it all depends on how many apples were at each store...
    Uh, they weren't apples, they were HP's products. Apple was probably watching though...
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post

Good news, however it all depends on how many apples were at each store. One can assume anything concerning the numbers at each store, no one but Staples knows how many were on hand. The only number I found as to how many stores Staples has is 2000 world wide. If we use that number and assume that each store had 200 units, that's 400,000 units sold. If each store had 50, that's only 100,000.

It is good to get devices in peoples hands though.
    It's definitely a start, but keeping it real.. Apple sold over 100,000 iPads per day, every day, last quarter. (without a discount)
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    just picked up 32gb for $400 at office depot. They honored the staples coupon! Millbrae had both versions in stock.
    Give it 14 days, lets wait to see how many get returned. I just got my 32GB from staples today. So far i'm disappointed with the small scaled apps, slight lag, and can't pair it with my pre
    As of now i'm planning on returning it before the 14 days are up, but I need to play with it more and get used to it.

...it definitely does not go as fast as they show on those celebrity commercials, and there definitely is no rear camera like they have you believing on those commercials where people hold it up to their face.

update: There is no evernote app for the touchpad and scrolling on the evernote site with the touchpad does not work This is a big business minus and reason to return for me.

I also noticed copy/paste does not work well. I copied a url from an email, I couldn't paste it into the web browser. The option was not there.

There is no SSH application. This is also important for me for work.

I went to digitalblasphamy.com because i was looking for a new background. tapped and held on the photo, no option to save the image.

I really want to like this tablet, but it's just not complying with what I want to do
    Last edited by janter; 08/06/2011 at 12:35 AM.
    Interesting info and fantastic news in my eyes. HP knows how to sell technology, promote, and innovate their hardware platforms. The weekend Sale is simply pushing things along and getting more people in front of webOS devices.

I hope HP is Very Successful and sells 10,000 and 100,000 units this weekend! Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 08/06/2011 at 12:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by janter View Post
    Give it 14 days, lets wait to see how many get returned. I just got my 32GB from staples today. So far i'm disappointed with the small scaled apps, slight lag, and can't pair it with my pre
    As of now i'm planning on returning it before the 14 days are up, but I need to play with it more and get used to it.

...it definitely does not go as fast as they show on those celebrity commercials, and there definitely is no rear camera like they have you believing on those commercials where people hold it up to their face.
    Interesting comment and mine runs like butter. I've updated to the latest 3.0.2 and if you haven't I'd recommend it ASAP. Is it as fast as the commercials...mine is, but I'm also clocking in at 1.5ghz overclocking my dual core and loving every minute. To be honest, most commercials don't show real life use of devices and most everything has post production working the content making it just right. Don't know about you, but how many of us really think their new Ford Focus is going to give them 35mpg? In the right road conditions and setup anything is possible, but on my roads in my city...it won't happens. Sorli...

And to contrast this, here is my post from July 2, after I spent over an hour with the TP at a Best Buy here on Long Island:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...aldwin-ny.html

Way before the patch, amidst every reviewer screaming lags and bugs.

I suggest you read the whole post... interesting stuff at the end.

Im not suprised that with such deep discounts at Staples, theat supplies ran short and some areas will have sold out.

For a pad device, its a pretty nifty piece of hardware.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

MobileBill23 likes this.
    So is this the real launch? Consumers seem to think it is!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    There is definitely is no rear camera like they have you believing on those commercials where people hold it up to their face.
    You got the from those commercials? Really???

Yeah, you should take it back.
    jahjahlove and JonVon like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast